Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is this the right stuff for when I come to take my Rebas apart and refill them?
  • gonetothehills
    Free Member

I'm looking for 15wt suspension fluid / oil for my 2009 RockShox Rebas when I come to have a crack at turning them from a 100mm to 120mm fork…

… is this the right stuff? Rock Oil SVI Suspension Fluid

or is there something better / cheaper / more correct?!

cheers in advance. 🙂

schmiken

Any motobike 15wt suspension fluid?

jasonm945
    Free Member

You can use almost any oil as long as it's not going into the damping/motion control system.
    In fact enduro recommend 15wt synthetic motor oil when changing the seals, the oil is just there to lubricate the seals. Make sure you put the right amount in otherwise you don't achieve full travel.
    To answer the original question – Yes, but if you got to a Motorbike dealer you will get cheaper fork oil.

Jay

Grimy
    Free Member

That will do it fine! Your not pulling the damper side apart, so the 15wt is just for lube, anything will do I recon! I'm sure theres stuff marketed as being superiour, red rum or something, but its just keeping the seals and bushes wet at the end of the day.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone – much appreciated. For £5.99 I can live with the expense, I think on the stuff from CRC so I'll order some up.

I've got PeterPoddy's guide, so I hope I'm in good hands… Grimy, I spotted you've done something similar by the looks of it from another thread. Did it all go ok?

Edric64
    Free Member

I used mineral oil for a vw camper gearbox much cheaper than the stuff they try and con you into using

Grimy
    Free Member

Yea, once youve done it youll wonder what all the fuss was about! lol. Its very easy to do, and the extra travel I found very usefull 8)

I think the hardest part is getting the lowers started back onto the stantions without getting the wiper seal lipped under. Just takes a little patience, or an extra set of hands to make it easy!

angryratio
    Free Member

be careful you don't get any air locks in the lowers..

robhughes
    Free Member

angryratio-never heard of air locks in the lowers whet fettling.
    what do you meen bud ❓

MicArms

Has anyone got a lnk to Peterpoddys guide? Just got the oil on Friday and ready to strip the forks down tomorrow..

angryratio
    Free Member

If they are dual air.. you can get trapped air in lower.
    Long as your following rebuild guide to the letter your gonna be fine.

mboy
    Free Member

Has anyone got a lnk to Peterpoddys guide?

Likewise, got a pair of Rebas and a pair of Pikes to service soon…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is this the right stuff for when I come to take my Rebas apart and refill them?’ is closed to new replies.