Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Is this the end of Windows Phone?
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

What network are you on?

molgrips
    Free Member

What do you mean turn off voicemail?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Well, you know, turn it on or off!

molgrips
    Free Member

You mean stop the phone going to voicemail when you don’t pick it up? If so, that’s nothing to do with the phone, it’s your network that does it.

nemesis
    Free Member

As above, MS have cut their losses on Nokia. They’ll still be strong in the OS market I reckon – for business at least as you can significantly reduce complexity and cost of your business’s systems by having everything on Windows.

cinnamon_girl

Tesco network (02 really), can’t see how to switch it off as it’s not needed.

The tiles are doing my head in, can’t stand a cluttered screen!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Try dialing 1760 to disable and 1750 to enable.

901 dials into VM.

NOPE – Try

“To switch on your voicemail
    Call 2905 free.

To switch off your voicemail
    Call 2915 free.”

Tesco’s page:
    http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1080-getting-started/1320-setting-up-your-device/voicemail

I made my tiles spread down a long way, so many were off the screen.

molgrips
    Free Member

You can remove (un-pin) all the tiles if you want, and just have one for the phone and one for texts.

Or if you only call a few people you can have those people as tiles and nothing else so you can effectively speed dial them. Hold your finger down on a tile you don’t want, then a symbol will appear that’s a picture of a pin with a line through it -that’s the unpin button.

can’t see how to switch it off as it’s not needed.

As above – voicemail is handled by the network not the phone – talk to Tesco.

footflaps

As above, MS have cut their losses on Nokia. They’ll still be strong in the OS market I reckon – for business at least as you can significantly reduce complexity and cost of your business’s systems by having everything on Windows.

Not really, all phone OSes sync with Exchange now, so there’s no real benefit in having Windows phones over MS phones.

cinnamon_girl

Number no worky gofasterstripes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Soz – look up/refresh page 😀

nemesis
    Free Member

You’re assuming that exchange is the only app you want access to via your mobile. With W10 you’ll (potentially) be able to access everything you can at your work desktop/laptop in exactly the same way, not just your emails.

bellerophon
    Free Member

I think a lot of people are so indoctrinated in doing things the ‘Apple way’ on phones that when it doesn’t work the same its automatically sh!t.

I reckon this has a lot to do with it.. it’s getting quite boring really

footflaps

You’re assuming that exchange is the only app you want access to via your mobile. With W10 you’ll (potentially) be able to access everything you can at your work desktop/laptop in exactly the same way, not just your emails.

True, although with Dropbox I can already do this – since I sync my entire W7 machine…

simon_g

😆 I doubt that even Microsoft have a majority of their corporate smartphone users on Windows Phone.

molgrips
    Free Member

True, although with Dropbox I can already do this – since I sync my entire W7 machine…

Dropbox just syncs files.. nemesis is talking about using the actual applications from your Windows desktop on your phone as well – and vice versa – the same phone apps on your desktop. That’s going to be a pretty big thing in the mobile area.

I.e. you will buy an app in the store and it’ll be available on your phone, tablet and PC. And not just Candy Crush etc – MS will make their productivity apps available cross platform too.

footflaps

MS will make their productivity apps available cross platform too.

If you mean Office then they already are and that’s 99.999% of all productivity stuff.

And most 3rd party productivity tools are on all platforms eg Concur, Salesforce etc. It’s MS who is catching up, not leading the pack.

nemesis
    Free Member

Well, those too but all the programs you use for your job. For some, as above, simple sync tools like dropbox of google sheets, etc will be fine but most people use a wider range of programs/apps than that for their jobs.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you mean Office then they already are

Not really – Office mobile is a tiny little thing. This could mean something much better.

cinnamon_girl

Sorted! Cheers chaps. 8)

RustyNissanPrairie

Running a 930 on 8.1 as a company provided phone, was given a free reign choice of any handset Iphone, android etc.
    Had a cheapo 620 previously that died in an accident but was a great phone dispute being sub £100.

The camera (20mp) is great on the 930 and performance is snappy. Iphone loving wife doesn’t like it but mainly because its just different to an iphone.

footflaps

MS will make their productivity apps available cross platform too.

You might have missed it, but Apple got there first for once. Their last iOS added syncing app states between all their platforms iPhone, iPad, Macs etc.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac/continuity-in-ios-8-os-x-yosemite-handoff-phone-call-text-airdrop-3524705/

Not really – Office mobile is a tiny little thing. This could mean something much better.

That I doubt, who is going to want to edit a 500k line application on a 5.1″ phone in fully featured version of Visual Studio? Basically you do the vast bulk of work on a PC, laptop, or Surface and then just remotely access / view stuff on a mobile (unless you’re a real masochist).

failedengineer

I chose a Nokia 930 for my company phone when my old iphone died, Seems good to me, much nicer than the iphone and none of the arrogant Apple sh*te. It’s got a good camera and it runs the apps I want. Navigation and sports tracking apps seem to use a fraction of the battery that the iphone used to. If it has a fault I would say that the screen is a tad too sensitive and it sometimes fails to connect automatically to wireless. No big deal, though.

unovolo
    Free Member

You can alter the screen sensitivity ,High setting allows you to use it with gloves on, which makes it a bit too sensitive when using as normal.
    To alter GOTO:
    Settings.
    Touch.
    Touch sensitivity.

failedengineer

Excellent, thanks!

jp-t853

I love my 930. It took me a few days to get used to it but it just seems great now. Limited apps but it means great real life battery and I use a tablet more for those. Camera is superb and the live pictures are fun. The built in satnav is spot on. Built in music app works brilliantly in the car and with bluetooth speaker.

Once you are familiar with the interface it seems so logical.

molgrips
    Free Member

You might have missed it, but Apple got there first for once. Their last iOS added syncing app states between all their platforms iPhone, iPad, Macs etc.

App states – but not apps? The app vendor has to have made the app for each platform separately, no? The MS offering allows the vendor to create a single app and it will magically work on all Windows platforms. You only need to buy it once.

That I doubt, who is going to want to edit a 500k line application on a 5.1″ phone in fully featured version of Visual Studio?

You picked the most obvious one for effect, but chances are MS and the other vendors will think of apps and usages that you haven’t 🙂

And most 3rd party productivity tools are on all platforms

I don’t think you’re following me. Currently, you have to write your app two or three times for different platforms. With Windows you will only need to write one. Not the same thing.

footflaps

Still not convinced that it actually solves a problem (other than making writing apps a bit easier) as the usage case for a PC and a 5.1″ phone are very different. I don’t use my phone in anything like the same way I use my work PC with twin monitors and not because the Apps aren’t all the same, because I have access to both and use them appropriately i.e. the phone for mobile things and the PC for static things.

I don’t think you’re following me. Currently, you have to write your app two or three times for different platforms. With Windows you will only need to write one. Not the same thing.

Yep, 100%. The pain of the developer has no affect on the user. I don’t care if the App took 5 mins or 5 years to write and neither does anyone else. Most decent productivity tools exist on all platforms today, so the extra effort isn’t a limiting factor and removing this extra effort doesn’t make the App any more appealing to the user, which is all that matters. And they’re still going to have to write an Android and iOS version anyway as MS will never have more than a few % of the mobile market (in the next 5-10 years).

molgrips
    Free Member

the usage case for a PC and a 5.1″ phone are very different

Quite true, and it will be interesting to see what happens.

The pain of the developer has no affect on the user.

I disagree, because if it’s too painful developers won’t do it. Which is why there are so few WP apps – writing WP apps isn’t hard, but there aren’t enough users to bother. If this works well then it would immediately increase the number of potential users for your Windows apps by a factor of a bajillion. I’m thiknig that the piggyback effect might boost WP as a platform significantly.

grantway
    Free Member

Hopecso my wife has one and they are nothing but a bag of crock
    basically anything Android is xxxx

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Is this the end of Windows Phone?’ is closed to new replies.