Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is this the correct size?
  • jamieg
    Free Member

Finally got my Giant Anthem X4 Although just tested the stand clearance and thought it felt a bit too close to my crotch. It’s a size ‘M’ 17″ and I’m 5’8″. Maybe I got the wrong frame size? The guy in the shop thought I suited a medium frame size and I even sat on one in the shop but now thinking maybe I should have got the small size which would be 16″. Would this sound about right?

RealMan
    Free Member

No, small would’ve been way too small. I’m shorter then you and riding an 18″.

Stand over clearance doesn’t matter as long as you can actually get on and off the bike.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I think it’s probably about right. More importantly, how does it feel to you? The top tube of an Anthem is fairly long, so if the reach is okay then the standover will be fine.

jamieg
    Free Member

Yeah, the guy in the shop thought it was the correct size. It feels ok, haven’t actually been out on it yet though. Just I had a Gary Fisher Josher F4 (the old ‘Y’ frame Full Suss) and I’m sure that was a small 16″. I guess it’s the stretch to the handlebars as well I’m concerned about.

jamieg
    Free Member

any other thoughts on this?

chvck
    Free Member

Stop thinking about it and go ride it.

GW
    Free Member

No. give it to me and go and get yourself a small shorty 😛

jamieg
    Free Member

Stop thinking about it and go ride it

I wish I could but I don’t actually have the bike, it’s at another location, I tried it out yesterday but never went out on it. Officially picking it up this Sunday. Probably why I’m thinking about it! I was just unsure if this was normal or not, in the manual and just about evry bike set-up advise says to have 2 to 4 inch clearance, I have 1.

jamieg
    Free Member

No. give it to me and go and get yourself a small shorty

Give me £1150 and it’s all yours! 😉

scaredypants

crossbar clearance is not really the way to see if a bike fits you
    (that said, mtbs generally have loads so it might be a clue if you have virtually none)
    unfortunately for you, the best way to tell is a test ride on both sizes and I guess that may be too late, or will the shop exchange ?

jamieg
    Free Member

crossbar clearance is not really the way to see if a bike fits you
    (that said, mtbs generally have loads so it might be a clue if you have virtually none)
    unfortunately for you, the best way to tell is a test ride on both sizes and I guess that may be too late, or will the shop exchange ?

OK, yes the shop will exchange, I’m thinking that it should have more clearance then bearly 1 inch.

GW
    Free Member

to be fair there aren’t many bikes with very good TT standover clearance for shorter riders (full suspension even more so).

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Agree with GW here, i’m 5’2″ with a ridiculous inside lege of 27″ and i ride two full suss bikes at 15.5″ each. My standover is barely existent but i’ve not smacked my cubes on the top tube or stem from what i remember.
    If it fits you in all other dimensions stop worrying and start riding! 🙂

jamieg
    Free Member

Agree with GW here, i’m 5’2″ with a ridiculous inside lege of 27″ and i ride two full suss bikes at 15.5″ each. My standover is barely existent but i’ve not smacked my cubes on the top tube or stem from what i remember.
    If it fits you in all other dimensions stop worrying and start riding!

I know, just needed to know peoples take on this. This is my first purchase of a new bike in 10 years so bit new to the dimensions, plus my old Gary Fisher full suss was the old ‘Y’ frame design so there was loads of clearance.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is this the correct size?’ is closed to new replies.