Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Is this the best full sus for £2k?
  • simo2007
    Free Member

Hi there,

More into my road cycling over the past few years, but having had a Cannondale Trail SL4 I got back into the shred and sold it in preparation for a full sus! I do mainly trail riding at the moment, but in the near future I’m pushing the boat out and will also be doing some more hardcore stuff in the Alps with my buddy from Switzerland.

Got my eyes on this at the moment: http://paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s183p5688/CANNONDALE-TRIGGER-CARBON-2-27-5-2015

I’m quite a big chap at 6ft 3″ and just under 17 stone/235lbs/105kg (been lifting heavy for 8 years now!), a couple of people have said I’d need something more substantial than Fox Float 32’s. I can’t justify spending less than £2k because no matter what I would buy I’d have to upgrade the forks straight off (or for example, some bikes with Pikes under £2k don’t have my frame size).

Would appreciate any recommendations/advice…

thebadabing

Pauls cycles have some crazy offers on…..take a look at the Cannondale Jekyll . That link above is a lefty so only has one fork … Although some people love it ….it’s an acquired taste I feel

simo2007
    Free Member

Cheers for your reply! I did take a look at the Jekyll but they no longer have my size, at 6ft 3″ I’m going to be needing an XL frame I think!

parkesie
    Free Member

Got one love it. Switched tyres put a single ring on and it’s spot on for me at 6″3′

simo2007
    Free Member

Thanks parkesie! Guessing you got the XL frame? How heavy are you?

parkesie
    Free Member

Yeah got the xl and weight in at 93kg. The rear shock takes a little while to get right but follow the instructions re what order to pressurise the Chambers and use the weight guide to start with. I settled on the pressures for 1 weight down to get the slacker angles. Spec pressures were bang on the xc mark.

dday

Giant trance is good value for the money. Not sure about frame size, but its an often overlooked (non boutique?) brand.

speedstar

I have an XL meta 5.5 that has everything necessary bar wheels that i’m thinking of selling for £750? 2×10. Fantastic bike for confidence going downhill. Would save you money initially with a view to upgrading once you have done a significant amount of riding.

transporter13
    Free Member

See if you can find a ’15 norco range 7.1/7.2 in the sales…A mate of mine is the same size as you and found an xl from evans reduced down to 1700 and its brilliant for the money

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Norco will probably only be at Evans, as they import them. Heavy for carbon and the 2015s break (do a search on here).

2015 FSR 29er for £2k down from £3.5k at Rutland Cycling, not sure on sizes left.

djflexure

Have a look at Freeborn – Specialized/ Devinci and Bikescene – Specialized/ Whyte for some good deals on last years models. Bought from both in the past.

jonnyrockymountain

for 2k my money would go here, and you definatly need to be 29er

simo2007
    Free Member

djflexure, you’ve just thrown a spanner in the works with the Devinci Troy, that is some serious kit for £2k on that website, and it looks amazing!!!

Jonny, I would buy the Canyon in a heartbeat, but those forks are Fox Float 32’s and wouldn’t take my weight for long…

chakaping
    Free Member

At your size (height and weight) I’d have a look at this instead…
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral/2016/spectral-al-7-0-ex.html

What’s £50 between friends, eh?

Better frame geometry, comes with a Pike and Sram 11 speed transmission.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’d be looking at the trance sx..can be had for 1800, come with a pike and x1 11 speed

I had my first run out on my trance 1 on sunday. Cost me 2k all in once I’d upgraded to 11 speed xt, better bars and stem. Comes with carbon wheels and surprised me with how capable it was.

br
    Free Member

Search Specialized 29er Stumpy or Enduro, they’d some 2015’s going cheap.

Like this:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/296964/products/specialized-2015-enduro-elite-29-full-suspension-mountain-bike-black.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CKzb0t3nocsCFRBmGwodSGwHlA

A lot of bike for £2k, although they’ve no XL’s but someone might.

djglover
    Free Member

I have just picked up the Boardman Pro FS for £1,350

Now it isn’t going to win any xc races at 30lbs (on my scales), but blimey what a bike for the cash. I couldnt have bought the components for that at the big online discounters.

The ride is awesome. as far as I can tell its very similar geometry wise to the Orange 5, HA is a bit steeper at just under 67 (measured by me), chainstay the same 430mm. BB looks a bit lower.

Out of the box the bike performs brilliantly, the PIKE is awesome, wide bars, short stem, lock on grips, 1×11 works brilliantly. The only things to change are add a dropper and change to better tyres. The original ones are OK but not for winter.

ETA- I would be more than happy to take this on DH tracks in the alps with the sole addition of dual ply tyres.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes if Alps are your goal then Fox 32’s are not ideal especially with the pressure you’ll put on them. It’s compromise between what will suit you here for normal trail riding and what will work best on bigger terrain like Alps or away trips to Lakes or Wales for example. Technique is more important than kit really but IMO for peace of mind Forks like Pikes will just feel better. As above you’ll tinker with the bike anyway over time (tyres, brake rotors ?) but the basics like Frame and Forks it makes less sense to be changing out.

As an aside my Swiss buddy kicks my butt with his ancient hardtail with 80mm forks, 2.2 tyres and cantilever brakes but I’m very happy on my Covert with all the “hardcore bling” 😳

Happy shopping

andybrad

if I hadn’t just built up my liteville id be buying one of those jekll leftys

simo2007
    Free Member

tpbiker where do you find the Trance SX for £1800 with carbon rims?

b r wow I never thought that Specialized would fall under my radar!! The L apparently is right on the borderline for me. Serious kit on that for £2k!

djglover I was seriously tempted by the new Boardman, my first instinct would be to put the dropper on but do you think this would handle some of the more hardcore terrain? Also, I’m pretty sure their frames only go up to 19″ which could be cramped for my height.

Looks like I’ve got a list now!

Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2 £2k
    Boardman Pro FS £1350 (will need dropper post, and not sure on sizing!)
    Devinci Troy Carbon XP £2k
    Specialized Enduro Elite 29 £2k

The decision just got more difficult haha!

djglover
    Free Member

Id throw the Boardman down any DH track. I used to race DH and I do think its that capable yes. I’m 5’11 on a medium and in the pick the saddle is the going up height. However there is a review on bikeradar from a chap your height and I think he said it was cramped

coomber
    Free Member
    craig24
    Free Member

Boardman looks great for the money

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

b r recommends bike I suggested 2 hours earlier, gets credit from OP. May the twigs of fate rise to meet your spokes *flounces*

😉

PS I think it’s the Trance 1 that comes with carbon rims for 1800, not the more gnar SX?

PPS I’d have the FSR if it was my money, or a Reign from destock cycle in France if they have any bargains left.

simo2007
    Free Member

Jeeeez I’ve just realised that the Giant Trance 1 27.5 2015 at Paul’s comes with carbon rims. Is this worthy of a serious consideration? I’ve heard carbon rims >>> carbon frame. Again, only 32mm forks with the Revelation’s…

I think the Boardman is going to be too short for my height, which is a shame because for less than 1600 (with a dropper post) I could have nabbed a bargain!

Crashtestmonkey, I sincerely apologise, I’m not sure how I didn’t spot your suggestion, original credit goes to you- thank you!

Alloy choice now between Giant Trance 1 and Specialized Enduro Elite 29er.

Carbon between Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2 and Devinci Troy Carbon XP.

coomber
    Free Member

Are you making a list to try? I would suggest some of these bikes are going to ride a lot differently. Ride some first would be the obvious answer.

AlexSimon

I wouldn’t get carried away by high-end spec.
    Choose a very short list to try and ride and make sure you’re happy with it. That’s where best long term value comes from, not the logo on the rear mech, etc.

Tracey

Kevin has been hovering over the buy button all week for the Enduro 29r at Rutland since they came back in stock. Think I’ve convinced him he doesn’t need it

simo2007
    Free Member

Haha Tracey how have you managed to convince him he doesn’t need it?

I’ve got a lot of choices now, need to pull the trigger!

Tracey

He has a S Works Stumpjumper at the back of the garage that was last used on our Alps trip last year. Since then he has only riden our Chameleon. Seems to have worked so far.

tom200

At your size (height and weight) I’d have a look at this instead…
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/spectral/2016/spectral-al-7-0-ex.html

What’s £50 between friends, eh?

Better frame geometry, comes with a Pike and Sram 11 speed transmission.

AL8.9 29er so you can get one quicker, also has a pike and full XT.

simo2007
    Free Member

The Al8.9 29er looks awesome, however, they don’t have it in XL and with delivery I’m looking at closer to £2.2k which is over my budget 🙁

Boardman is out of the question now, which is a shame because it looks spot on, I just wont fit on it properly even with the 19 inch frame.

I like the idea of carbon but I can’t help but think it will be in the back of my mind when I’m riding that if I crash in an awkward way, the frame/fork could be toast (Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2), but that rig has to be the best bang for buck on the list closely followed by the Specialized Enduro Elite 29er.

The Bird Aeris has my curiosity. I am now considering the YT Capra 2016, but I hear that customer support isn’t the best, but it will leave me with £200 change…

My sticking point here is choice, it would be far easier if it was limited!

tpbiker
    Free Member

sorry its my trance 1 which came with carbon rims for 1800. The sx was the same price but came with normal wheels

this is the one I got….trance 1

first impressions it descends as well as my old enduro and climbs well..lovely bike

warns74
    Free Member

simo,

Not sure how much use this is but I’m 6’5 and 15 stone and my brother in law is the same height and about 17 stone. We’ve both ridden XL specialized bikes, one alu one carbon and never really had an issue. My stumpy fsr 29er has been carted about all over the UK, natural riding, Welsh trails centers, BPW uplift days etc and last year a week in the Alps without any problems.

I found the stumpy was enough bike for 90% of the time the Alps, (week with the White Room, lots of very techy trails, black runs etc) and 100% of the time in the UK for the type of riding I do.

I think the Enduro mentioned before for £2k is fantastic if you can find an XL otherwise the new 2016 stumpy is well worth a look too, it now has shorter chain stays and slacker head angle like the Enduro.

Dont be afraid to do a but of haggling Im sure you could get something for your budget.

tpbiker
    Free Member

fyi my mate bought one of the triggers..not the carbon model but he loves it.

simo2007
    Free Member

Hi tpbiker, thanks for clearing that up! It’s just a pain how little discounted XL bikes there are out there! Everyone must have snapped them up!

Warns, thanks for your detailed reply. I really would have purchased the Spesh instantly if they had my size, I’m currently in email exchange with my local Specialized concept store, it seems as though there are no XL’s left at all in the enduro range for the 2015 models. I have found a 2016 Enduro Comp 29er murdered out (stealth) which has Pikes on and looks incredible. The Stumpy looks awesome too and I have just found one for £1700!

Regarding the Alps, what kind of terrain was the 10% you had difficulty with?

fooman

I’m 6’4″ and went from a L Stumpy (where I probably should have been on an XL) to a 19″ Boardman 650B FS PRO and the Boardman is definitely bigger / longer than the L Stumpy so must be approaching XL anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Is this the best full sus for £2k?’ is closed to new replies.