Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Is this rude?
  • Kryton57

Off to the Outlaws for Dinner at 3.

Although we’d normally go the 9 miles by car, I’ve realised the wife and kids could, but I could ride my new SSCX through the London towpaths. Opportunity knocks.

Is it a bit out of order to abandon the family and arrive / leave separately?

Let’s see how many match my wife’s opinion…

martinhutch

I’m guessing you’d hate the idea, but your wife is quite keen to get you out of the car? 😀

tjagain

No issue at all for me so long as you don’t arrive late or leave early

Cougar

Get the rest of them on bikes. You get to ride over, your missus has the pleasure of you arriving on time, everyone’s a winner.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nah that’s legit to me, as long as you don’t arrive a sweaty mess and make MIL sofa smelly it’s okay.

I find kids are at their most tolerable when they’re strapped in place, driving is easy 😉

wukfit
    Free Member

I’ve done similar quite a few times
    Bike in the car on the way there, change into kit there, leave at the same time as the missus, cycle home

v8ninety

That’s perfectly acceptable and indeed has happened in my extended family, without a raised eyebrow. Just be on time, and send a strava beacon just in case

downhillfast
    Free Member

What are your wife’s thoughts on This?

rOcKeTdOg

Go on bike “get lost” do a 50 miler & deal with the consequencies later

chakaping
    Free Member

You monster, how could you even consider such a thing?

nealglover
    Free Member

Let’s see how many match my wife’s opinion…

If she thinks it’s not acceptable, then I’m guessing none.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Nah, i do it all the time. My in laws are quite used to me turning up muddy.

Yak

Yeah, Mrs Yak does this a bit and often goes the long way and turns up late. No one minds.

Crack on.

Tbh, I thought this was standard practice for the time-strapped family cyclist in need of a few more miles.

Drac

I’m not even sure why this is a question. Just ride your bike meet them there.

RustySpanner

Can’t see an issue, tbh.

keith74

Having done this once but getting slightly lost I still have to live with the consequences.

In my defence it was a nice sunny night and I found some new trails on my way across so had to be done.

porlus
    Free Member

Mate of mine did this. Only he rode from Tadcaster to Stockport haha.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just leave on the bike and never come back. Maybe send a postcard from Laos instructing her to sell your possessions/kids etc.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

SSXC – sort that out first 😉

How many bikes do you have now? Adjusted anthem aside do you like any of them?

Kryton57

What are your wife’s thoughts on This?

She played it right out of the Wife 101 manual. Her reply was “Well, mum knows what your like…” with an agnostic expression. Tyoically then leaving me ion a position where perhaps neither of the options will be the correct one… maybe.

😕

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Ask your wife as you are not having sex with the people above.

Unless you haven’t told us.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ask your wife as you are not having sex with the people above.

Or the wife by the sound of it 😆

RustySpanner

And just think of all the money you’ll save by taking your bike…
    🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Just leave on the bike and never come back. Maybe send a postcard from Laos instructing her to sell your possessions/kids etc.

Can you get to Laos overland?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If MIL knows what you are like, ride and sit in sweaty lycra – you are already doomed, so go down in flames

scotroutes

It depends.

If you already spend little time with your family them it might be argued this is eating into some of that.

On the other hand, if this frees up some time otherwise taken up for training then it could be a win/win.

Drac

She played it right out of the Wife 101 manual. Her reply was “Well, mum knows what your like…” with an agnostic expression.

Ah! You’re MIL knows that you do whatever your wife tells you.

Kryton57

On the other hand, if this frees up some time otherwise taken up for training then it could be a win/win.

Yep, it replaces a recovery ride I’ve lost so far today as I’ve been out with the kids, and there tomorrow night reminds free within which I can do the school runs, homework and bedtime stories with them.

Cool, sorted.

bikebouy
    Free Member

By leaving the kids with your wife alone it will be like any other day of the week 😉

Bike it, wife and kids in car, open 4 litres of vino (from the box in the utility room (next to the washing basket and under the shelf where GIL’s tool box is))
    Drink and eat heavily, burp and fart at inconsiderate occasions.. tell bordy jokes about immigrants and the state of Laos is in, remain steadfast in political debates you bring up, have a “whack around” the garden digging divots up with GIL’s golf clubs..
    Sweat profusely whilst finishing off the cheese course, scratch intimate places with cheesy finger syndrome.

Ride home.

Pack bags.

Head to Laos.

Kryton57

garden digging divots up with GIL’s golf clubs

Golf? Good grief no, my intention was to demonstrating CX racing on the lawn before I parked the bike in the hall way.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Muddy wheelie in the hallway, on the new beige carpet it is then..
    Bunny hop up the stairs will give you a hell of a lot of “jump or get off” the barriers segment in a CX race.

Practice Son, think of the practice.

Enjoy lunch.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Your outlaws must be much keener on seeing you than mine have ever been! I have often cycled to theirs with the wife and children , sat and had a coffee, then left them to it for a couple of hours. Returning to meet and leave with the family later.
    On further thought, it would depend somewhat on the age of the children.

sparkerfix

Yep. Do it regularly. Rock up and have a shower at the outlaws . Boss brings a change of clothes for me with her in the car.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Don’t see a problem with this. Regular occurrence in our house. Ride/run one way each quite often.

All sorts of distances up to Sheffield-Liverpool for family lunch. That’s fine but needs a 5am start

rone

Do it a lot. Good use of time.

The more you do it the more they will accept it.

Kryton57

I’ve arrived! And a cold beer was waiting and boy did I need it – 42/16 on a gravel baseband headwind.

I get this gravel thing now, just go anywhere. Great.

weeksy

I get this gravel thing now, just go anywhere. Great

Just like a hardtail but not as competent then.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just riding bikes innit.

Without the pressure of competition they can be great fun 😆

I did type “wheelie” in the hallway.. let’s hope you didn’t read that as “weewee” 😉

IdleJon

Just like a hardtail but not as competent then.

A little bit more competent on the road or farm track type things, a little less competent on anything more demanding. All bikes are compromised, it just depends on where you make the compromise.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

On the original post scenario- I do not believe so as I do a similar thing. In laws 62 miles away. I leave early on the road bike and meet my Wife and Daughter at the in laws at the same. Spend day st the inland and then bike on the rack and all drive home together.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Is this rude?’ is closed to new replies.