Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is This Right or Sexist (also contains an interesting article on cycling safety)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the last paragraph?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8296971.stm

As far as I remember, I need to shower and get changed at work just as much as anyone else? And I do the shopping. And touch wood I don't have any kids?

Are other men realy smelly people who cant find their way arround Tesco?

*Awaits CFH's comment about getting his butler to do the shopping.*

miketually
    Free Member

It may be sexist to assume that women are more likely to look after kids and do the shopping, but it's also probably still true.

None of the people who ride to work here get a shower when they arrive, including the women. I often go shopping on my way home by bike. When i'm looking after the kids, I drop them at school/nursery by bike.

Olly
    Free Member

Having seen the way cyclists ride in London, I'm not surprised many are involved in accidents. They ride without lights after dark, ignore traffic lights and ride aggressively as if they own the road. Apparently that is how the LCC want it in parts of London – pedestrians and cyclists only (and I'm sure they would prefer not to have pedestrians in their way as they cycle along the pavement).
    Iain, Scotland

well done iain, Scotland, you have highlighted yourself as a top twit.

qwerty
    Free Member

in London TFL are encouraging many non cyclists to get on a bike and commute, they have not provided training, their website lacks critical info, they don't advocate use of helmets and they are not creating safe areas within the road system to cycle plus they are doing nothing (except reap the rewards of an ineffective congestion charge) to reduce volume and size of traffic on the streets

its also fair to say that many cyclists do not take the time to perform little tasks (lifesaver, no ipod, anticipation) that could prevent accidents and potentially save their life

i think that in London (and other cities) we are approaching a need to ban HGV and similar from the streets between certain hours unless they are equipped with the highest category of mirrors, rear camera etc

porterclough
    Free Member

Confident female cyclists like Jane Hornsby, 49, from Oxford, says it's not just safety that puts some women off getting on two wheels.

Practical issues like changing facilities and bringing a spare outfit also play a part.

Women may also have less time than men, she says, because they tend to have the responsibility of looking after children before and after work, and are often carrying shopping.

Women are allowed to say sexist rubbish though, it's only bad if men do it. 😉

qwerty
    Free Member
    anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I'm proactive enough thanks, its the lazy **** behind the wheel that need to get proactive.

miketually
    Free Member

in London TFL are encouraging many non cyclists to get on a bike and commute, they have not provided training, their website lacks critical info, they don't advocate use of helmets and they are not creating safe areas within the road system to cycle plus they are doing nothing (except reap the rewards of an ineffective congestion charge) to reduce volume and size of traffic on the streets

I'm with you on the rest, but advocating helmet use discourages people from cycling.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Compulsory helmet use discourages cycling.

scruff
    Free Member

Being a lazy fat fvck discourages cycling.

miketually
    Free Member

Compulsory helmet use discourages cycling.

Even just encouraging it gives the impression that cycling is dangerous.

Gribs

Olly – Member

Having seen the way cyclists ride in London, I'm not surprised many are involved in accidents. They ride without lights after dark, ignore traffic lights and ride aggressively as if they own the road. Apparently that is how the LCC want it in parts of London – pedestrians and cyclists only (and I'm sure they would prefer not to have pedestrians in their way as they cycle along the pavement).
    Iain, Scotland

well done iain, Scotland, you have highlighted yourself as a top twit.

It's seems a fair enough assessment of how a lot of cyclist behave in London. On the last couple of times I've been down there in a van I've had people cut up the inside of me whilst turning left and it's shocking how much worse the general standard of riding is than in Leeds or York. Red light jumping just seems to be endemic in London.

Hairychested
    Free Member

qwerty – Member

its also fair to say that many cyclists do not take the time to perform little tasks (lifesaver, no ipod, anticipation) that could prevent accidents and potentially save their life

i think that in London (and other cities) we are approaching a need to ban HGV and similar from the streets between certain hours unless they are equipped with the highest category of mirrors, rear camera etc

WTF are you on about? Plenty of free training available, I provided it for the past 10 years or more. All it takes is to stop moaning and ring your council.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is This Right or Sexist (also contains an interesting article on cycling safety)’ is closed to new replies.