Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Is this right? (LBS-installed Hope headset)
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Whole bike pic for those that are curious. I don’t think the bars are particularly high and I can corner well enough, thanks.

[/url] image by Danny H 456 rider, on Flickr[/img]

Pic of my bodge (we all like a bodge, after all).

[/url] image by Danny H 456 rider, on Flickr[/img]

Jamie
    Free Member

Enhance!

As an aside, what’s the innertube on the seatpost?

sc-xc

Holy god.

singlespeedstu

Not sure who’s the worst you or your LBS. 😆

DanW
    Free Member

The full bike pic probably helps less with trying to visualise how anyone would ride like that 😯 T-Rex-like proportions or very upright position or frame too small or ???

In answer to the thread title…. yes 😀 On the plus side, at least there is some steerer left if the stem needs to be raised in the future.

Ingenious way to keep mud off the dropper stanchion?

brant
    Free Member

I guess it’s some form of mudguard for the Reverb.

It seems odd that you would slide the saddle back a bit on the rails AND have your bars so high.

andyl
    Free Member

You could lose 1/2kg* of steerer and spacers there!

*exageration

dannyh
    Free Member

I guess it’s some form of mudguard for the Reverb.

Correct. It does a pretty good job as it sits clear of the bit where the seal is, so doesn’t just funnel grime down onto it.

As for the ‘holy god’ comments, well, up yours. I like riding it, not looking at it, and I seem to pass a reasonable amount of full sussers on rocky stuff in the Peaks, so it can’t be that bad.

Thanks for all the constructive comments.

andyl
    Free Member

OP I’m being constructive here:

Those bars look like they are rotated forward quite a lot and your brakes and shifters quite vertical. I would try dropping the bars 20mm, rotating them back a bit and getting your controls a bit more horizontal to drop your wrists.

Try it and see how you go.

singlespeedstu

I seem to pass a reasonable amount of full sussers on rocky stuff in the Peaks

You iz teh AWSUMZ.
    Try passing all of them to be a true Trailboss ™.

stevious

More power to Dannyh.

It’s a weapon, not an ornament.

rascal
    Free Member

Nicely said Danny!
    BTW – your original question…I would say that’s deffo NOT right as you suggest yourself.
    That LBS – is it the one in the town I live in, opposite the chippy? (without naming names) 😉

weeksy

Sometimes there are honestly no words that quite seem appropriate.

njee20
    Free Member

Genuine lol at the pictures of the bike. Amazeballs.

you cant tell if they are lined up or not as you can only see one cup.

two things to line up – cups with each other (agree we can’t see that), and cups with head tube logos. Straight assuming central logo/badge, or aligned appropriately if not.

singlespeedstu

Has Jamie altered those pictures for a laugh?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Danny, nice bike matey 🙂
    What LBS was it out of interest?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Why do all your really long hoses and cables go down the same side?

Shudders

dannyh
    Free Member

Why do all your really long hoses and cables go down the same side?

Because that’s where I put them.

Amazeballs.

Thanks (although I don’t think that was your sentiment).

You iz teh AWSUMZ.
    Try passing all of them to be a true Trailboss ™.

See you next Tuesday(?)

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

WARNING: Never use more than 30 mm of height of steerer stem spacers under the steerer stem, as this condition can cause the steerer tube to fail, causing a loss of control resulting in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=59#installingyourfork

Only 10mm out mind.

singlespeedstu

See you next Tuesday

Wednesdays are better for me. 8)

Seriously.
    Your LBS missed a seal off your headset.
    Not great but a simple mistake.
    Then you post a pictures of the bike.
    Maybe they lost the seal when they were rolling around laughing at it. 😆

mjsmke

modern hope headsets have 3 at 90 degrees to each other

You mean 3 at 120 degrees so they are on each third?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Errrr… Ummmm…. Well… Errrr…. (raised eyebrows wince)
    Some obvious stw code of practice errors but I guess it’s your bike and if it works for you.
    At least shorten the cables before you lassoo some innocent passer by.

pictonroad

Jesus Christ. Note to self, stop coming on singletrack when on a chemical come down.

MATE. WTAF.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think people are being a little bit harsh here. It’s the guys pride and joy. If there is anything dangerous, then yeah point it out, but it’s not that bad.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Agreed, taking the piss out of someone’s bike isn’t really on and isn’t helping him at all.

wwaswas

I’m impressed that the valves don’t even line up with the rim stickers, let alone the tyre logo’s.

Top work.

Spacers are personal choice though.

onandon
    Free Member

dannyh
    Free Member

Those bars look like they are rotated forward quite a lot and your brakes and shifters quite vertical. I would try dropping the bars 20mm, rotating them back a bit and getting your controls a bit more horizontal to drop your wrists.

I have tried this, but I quite like riding elbows out and ‘squared up’, especially when descending.

Agreed, taking the piss out of someone’s bike isn’t really on and isn’t helping him at all.

Thanks, I appreciate the sentiment, but it’s alright, I can take it. If I was to start getting all offended by people taking the piss out of what is essentially a toy, then I think I would be losing a bit of perspective.

Sometimes there are honestly no words that quite seem appropriate.

Easy solution, then. Don’t use any.

dannyh
    Free Member

Is that a smile on the T Rex’s face, though?

Good on him, riding his bike rather than fretting about what it looks like.

He should wear a helmet, mind.

singlespeedstu

I quite like riding elbows out and ‘squared up

You think you’re a motocrosser that’s stuck in the late 80’s and I claim my £5.00. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

of course i do andy – proof that 3 nights on 3hrs intermittent sleep pickles your brain 😀

DanW
    Free Member

It isn’t that bad and probably rides ok. Being over defensive to a bit of ribbing probably didn’t help. This is STW where a bike is judged on valve/ tyre/ rim alignment, lawn condition and state of wooden surfaces visible in the pic after all!

The issue with the bike is more that the steerer length out of the frame is probably more than a fork manufacturer would recommend so a bigger frame/ frame with different geo would probably suit the OP better while also probably being safer and more fun to ride too. That was the carefully hidden constructive input of the thread. Even Brant commented on the fit and set up and he presumably had a hand designing the thing.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Trail boss – pmsl

dannyh
    Free Member

Well, I’ve dropped the stack height under the stem by 10mm as someone helpfully (not sarcastic) pointed out that this could be dangerous. I’ve genuinely learnt something there, so cheers for that.

Stack of 5mm spacers? I’d argue that this is the best option for maximising the options when it comes to bar height, so that’s why I did it.

Orange mudguard? Celebrations box lids in red aren’t quite big enough, but Jacob’s biscuits for cheese are.

Inner tube reverb mudguard? Seems to work, don’t want to spend any more time than absolutely necessary servicing a reverb.

Long hoses? Can’t be arsed with the faff of cutting, bleeding and reconnecting. When it comes time to service the reverb I probably will lop a bit off, but not until.

Tyre logos don’t line up with rim stickers? I don’t give a shit.

Rim logos don’t line up with valves? Merlin built the wheels are they are absolutely brilliant. Otherwise, I don’t give a shit.

Shed needs creosote? I’ll get round to that, eventually.

Grass needs trimming? Too busy riding my bike.

Seat back on rails? Don’t really know, but it feels comfy to me, no knee or back pain etc.

I’ve enjoyed this thread (honestly) and I’ve learned something genuinely useful in the process. A win-win.

xanboy
    Free Member

Just a question, did you supply the headset to the LBS? Are you positive the seal was on the headset if you supplied it, whilst I think maybe they should have pointed out that it was missing, if they don’t normally fit Hope headsets they may not know it’s missing. They might help you sort it out if this is the case, if you go in like US army you might not get much help.

scandal42
    Free Member

😆

A simply excellent bedtime read.

Cheers Danny

Superficial
    Free Member

Did you know that you can achieve the same bar position like this.

rascal
    Free Member

Superficial – do you really have nothing better to do than Photoshop Danny’s pic to get yourself a few back-slaps off your fellow STWers?

cloudnine
    Free Member

You could have at least Photo shopped the logos in line.. or maybe even made the steerer comedy long.. Oh Wait

BillOddie

It’s a weapon, not an ornament.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Is this right? (LBS-installed Hope headset)’ is closed to new replies.