Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is this right? avids removed, shimano replaced
  • LMT
    Free Member

Ive replaced my Avid Elixir 5’s for some new SLX brakes, the back brake no issues, the front i get a bit of a shudder when applying pressure to the brake Im thinking its just pads bedding in as the avid’s weren’t exactly great, but just checking is the mount right? see pic above, or do i need to get a shimano post mount?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

There is a bit of rotor showing that only appears to be clean on the outer half. This might suggest that the caliper is a bit too far out. There is also a wavy edge to the outside of the rotor which can lead to juddering braking especially if there is only a small section of non-wavy part being utilised by the pads.

everyone
    Free Member

Are you using the CPS washers that came with the Avids?

LMT
    Free Member

Will take the spacers out see if that changes things.

LMT
    Free Member

Literally just swapped caliper for caliper.

mallorcadave
    Free Member

It looks like you are using the Avid cone shaped washers which the Shimano brakes don’t have. This means that the caliper is too far out, remove them and try it again.

robido

get rid of the washers

Frankers
    Free Member

Are you using Avid rotors? I had problems with these in the past, swap to round shimano ones iif you afford it

LMT
    Free Member

Had to use 4 washers on the bottom, as the shimano screw is too short and avid one too long, but yep that covers the disc better.

Shimano rotors on the shopping list!

davewalsh
    Free Member

Get rid of the washers between the caliper and fork, keep the ones under the bolt head as that design of mount means the bolt heads are not flat to the caliper, use the avid bolts but saw them down 4mm. Swapping rotors will not make any difference.
    Also, ditch the avid washers and bolts from the rear and re-fit them using the shimano bolts.

dirtydog
    Free Member

You don’t need rotors, just follow davewalshes advice above.

captaintomo
    Free Member

Just buy a shimano post to post mount and be done

joolsburger
    Free Member

Is that adaptor the right way up?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is this right? avids removed, shimano replaced’ is closed to new replies.