Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is this realistic
  • stec
    Free Member

A friend of mine has been asked to join a company ride,its around 70 miles and even though he has a bike to do it he hasnt set foot in the saddle for over a year…..its in 2 weeks

tinsy
    Free Member

Well doable, but his bum will get very sore, and it will take him ages.

He really does need to do a couple of rides if only to tenderise his cheeks a bit.

He needs some lycra shorts and some chamoix creme, and it will still hurt.

jacko54321
    Free Member

depends what sort of lifestyle he has, what sort of ride it is etc

tinsy
    Free Member

Good point, I was assuming a steady road ride.

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

tinsy +1

If he cycled alot before then he should make it round.

D0NK

I was asked this by father in law, some of his mates were doing a 50ish mile road ride for charity, a couple quite unfit, none did regular exercise, none had ridden bikes since childhood. I had my reservations but all made it, plenty of pub stops on the way too.
    If he used to ride he should be fine, but try to get a couple of 30mile rides in first.

njee20
    Free Member

Look at the oxygen thieves who manage to do the London – Brighton, he'll be fine.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what DOnk said I did coast to coast with some unfit people and determination will get you a long way 50 miles on road on thw flat is not that hard @ 10 mph. If it the Mary Townley Loop then perhaps throw a sickie

clubber
    Free Member

Do able so long as he takes it easy, drinks (water!) and eats plenty. He'll suffer towards the end/next day most likely though 🙂

stec
    Free Member

thanks all what creme and shorts do you suggest yes its all road

D0NK

Lusso do some basic shorts £15ish (if it's just for this ride and doesnt wanna shell out) they are fine I use 'em for commuting. and I liberally apply savlon pre-ride.

Edit looks like lusso may have ditched the amateur shorts from their line up, merlin have these for £17, presumably a bit better.

Junkyard
    Free Member

creme on yer @rse FFS MTFU.
    Tell them if they can feel the pain in their bunm it is because they are not trying hard enough and should instead have a burning sensation in their lungs and legs instead.

tinsy
    Free Member

HA HA..

Anyhow for the pansie ar5ed amongst us, you can use sudocreme, drapolene or any nappy rash kinda thing, but if he was to go the whole hog and get some Assos Chamoix creme he might just like the minty arsed feeling so much he will take up cycling….or just squelch to work… 🙂

Zilog
    Free Member

As people have said all depends on how fit the person is. If they have a good general fitness then there is a good chance they will still be able to do it. If there a beer monster then odds are against. Try taking them out on a ride before the date and just see how able they are. You can always arrange to join up with them part way round a ride. That way then can still feel part of the group but wont be slowing every one down. Generally at the top of a big hill is a good place to join up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is this realistic’ is closed to new replies.