Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)
  • Is this racist? Warning: carnival content!
  • gnusmas

Is this racist? Saw this on the news feed of the area i used to live. While i am not racist myself, isn’t this just a bit of fun?

Can’t help wandering if she feels the same way as the Wayans brothers in White Girls? Terrible film but same sort off thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-41093074

This is the exact quote from the Labour councillor:

“Utterly horrified to see this from Aberaeron Carnival today. How could this have been considered acceptable, or even legal, by the Carnival organisers? I would like to see a statement from Elizabeth Evans, LibDem councillor for Aberaeron who was at the carnival today, denouncing this”.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I love that film

gnusmas

Me too 😆

weeksy

Dyfed-Powys Police received a report of a perceived hate incident

I mean seriously ! FFS.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ms Mulholland said people painting their faces black “continues to be used today to belittle and mock people of colour”.

Blacking up is not acceptable these days. It’snot right.

scotroutes

If they’d had a Smurf Movie theme they’d have been blue. A Minions theme they’d have been yellow. The characters in that movie are Jamaican…..

I can’t see it as a “hate” incident.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Smurfs and Minions are not people Scotroutes. wow that is low!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Shirley they were just representing Miners coming out of the Pits, ya’

DezB
    Free Member

I like that “blackface” is one word.

andybrad

when does blacking up to cause offence become dressing up as a film character?

km79
    Free Member

It’s not racist but that won’t stop people claiming that it is.

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s one of those things you don’t do, but I can’t see any of them rushing off to join a white supremacist group or anything.

Also, the Labour councillor seems to be trying to initiate a game of competitive being offended with the Lib Dem councillor.

If they were paying tribute to the film, and the characters in the film, possibly the opposite of a “hate” incident?

A daft thing to do though, as someone was bound to be offended.

DezB
    Free Member

Another thing – can you imagine anyone who is actually racist blacking up?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s been deemed offensive for the last 20 years as far as I can remember, try googling the celebs who keep trying it. It’s about twice a year these days

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yep, Blacking up isn’t acceptable.

Cougar

Context, isn’t it.

Ms Mulholland said people painting their faces black “continues to be used today to belittle and mock people of colour”.

This may well be true, but they weren’t mocking anyone, they were celebrating them. If I shaved my beard off to cosplay a character that was clean-shaven, that wouldn’t make me beardist.

To turn this around; what if they’d produced a Cool Runnings float and not used make-up? They’d probably be accused of whitewashing.

DezB
    Free Member

people painting their faces black “continues to be used today to belittle and mock people of colour”.

I don’t recall one single example of that. She’s talking shite. The minstrels stopped years ago!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’d hope it wasn’t intended to be racist and that everyone involved probably thought it was a bit of fun but there’s a history associated with blackface which means it carries a greater significance than just dressing up as film character. So while it might not be overtly racist it is definitely racially insensitive and that should be enough of a reason not to do it.

Also why? Cool Running is hardly topical.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Cool Running is hardly topical.

It is in Wales which is stuck in the mid nineties* 😉

#metaracist

*only jokin’

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Here’s a picture of me in fancy dress as Ba Baracus…

martinhutch

I would like to see a statement from Elizabeth Evans, LibDem councillor for Aberaeron who was at the carnival today, denouncing this

Good job she’s not using this awful incident as a means of desperately trying to embarrass her political opponent…

Hate crimes need to be ‘motivated by hostility’.

jimjam
    Free Member

gnusmas

Just found out they won the most original float and the most humorous float categories too!

Apparently everyone was cheering as they went past and joining in with the song.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Hate crimes need to be ‘motivated by hostility’.

Not any more according to the CPS.

jekkyl

Another racist earlier..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/if-you-choose-to-wear-blackface-on-halloween-youre-just-plain-racist_us_580f692ce4b000d0b1588dda

If you’re planning to wear blackface this Halloween, take a step back. Look at your life; look at your choices. Is it really necessary to blacken your skin in order to portray a black character or celebrity? Do you truly feel that doing this isn’t demeaning to the people who have to walk in this skin every day and don’t have the luxury of washing it off at the end of the night? If you consider all these things and you still decide to go for it: congratulations, you’re being racist.

So this Halloween, blackface wearers, you do not get the benefit of the doubt. Do not act indignant, shocked, or surprised if you get called out for wearing a racist costume. Don’t say that you didn’t know blackface was bad. Don’t compare wearing blackface to something harmless like wearing a wig. Don’t claim innocence. Don’t complain about political correctness. Don’t pull the “reverse racism” card. Just admit it. Just admit that you knew your costume was messed up, and you decided to wear it anyway.
    I know Wales isn’t considered the most integrated or diverse part of the world but maybe time they caught up.

martinhutch

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/fact_sheets/hate-crime/

Suggests there still has to be an element of hostility to support charging.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’d be interesting to see what would have happened had the same float been travelling through Notting Hill…

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’d be interesting to see what would have happened had the same float been travelling through Notting Hill…

‘s a Hill innit?

They’d have been on that bobsleigh and made it almost all the way to the bottom before they crashed.
    The initially hostile crowd would have applauded their plucky spirit.

The lucky egg survives intact.

Cougar

Do you truly feel that doing this isn’t demeaning to the people who have to walk in this skin every day and don’t have the luxury of washing it off at the end of the night? If you consider all these things and you still decide to go for it: congratulations, you’re being racist.

Seems to me that this is more racist, it’s practically portraying coloured skin as a disability. Those poor people who have to suffer having black skin, every day.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well the point being it’s been considered unacceptable for a long time. I’m amazed the numbers who think it’s still acceptable these days, makes the casual sexism threads seem progressive

scotroutes

Seems to me that this is more racist, it’s practically portraying coloured skin as a disability. Those poor people who have to suffer having black skin, every day.

+1

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆 @ PP and agree with Cougar… why would you want to wash it off the colour of your skin?

IHN

There’s a reasonable school of thought that says that a forum that is predominantly white, and therefore has very likely never been or will be subject to racism, shouldn’t attempt to define what is or isn’t racist.

why would you want to wash it off the colour of your skin?

I dunno, maybe because people define you by it? And that definition is often derogatory and/or discriminatory?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I dunno, maybe because people define you by it? And that definition is often derogatory and/or discriminatory?

Fair point, so what colour would a white person become if they washed off their colour?

molgrips
    Free Member

If they’d had a Smurf Movie theme they’d have been blue. A Minions theme they’d have been yellow.

You’re ignoring the context.

Neither Smurfs nor Minions have a centuries long history of oppression; nor is there a history of people painting their faces yellow or blue to mock them. So the two things are not comparable.

It is encouraging that so many people have no idea why this is in such poor taste, however it still is, because of historical baggage. Choose another costume.

IHN

so what colour would a white person become if they washed off their colour?

I’ve no idea, nor about why they would ever feel the need to.

sillysilly
    Free Member
    andybrad

Do you truly feel that doing this isn’t demeaning to the people who have to walk in this skin every day and don’t have the luxury of washing it off at the end of the night?

what the actual ffff

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist? Warning: carnival content!’ is closed to new replies.