Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Is this racist or just inflamatory?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

*Mods, if this is going to cause grief, just delete the post*

Can you have a look at this pic and then read the link?

Now read
    LINK

There’s a bit of debate on a FB page (yes I know). I contend that whilst isn’t not ACTUALLY racist directly, it seeks to create racial tension and therefore is racist. They think its acceptable, I don’t.

This is the actual FB group page and theres some pretty horrible stuff posted. I’ve taken them to task over some of the content.
    Basically someone PMs the group with a message and an admin then posts it up. I sent this message

To the admins; Do you think it’s right that you post up these misogynistic, racist, wrong and generally unpleasant messages? Don’t you have some sort of conscience that you’re either perpetuating these mistaken ideas or condoning them?

And was basically called a moron and they completely ignored everything other than the racist point.
    Time for me to leave the group I think!

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh dear this will not end well at all.

leffeboy

6 months for poor photoshopping, sounds ok to me

Edit :actually possibly not. What clubber sez

clubber
    Free Member

The intent is racist IMO so for me it’s racist regardless of what the law or excuses used are. YMMV

bigyinn
    Free Member

This is a genuine question, I just wanted an outsider’s view as Im questioning myself and whether Im being too politically correct.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well about 10s on google and the first link that I came up with was this.

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/poppy-mosque-spraypaint.shtml

The jist of which is there was a lot more to the situation than is presented on this short poster.

mt
    Free Member

Being a follower of Islam does not define your race just your religion. The perps are possibly to uneducated to understand this though.

leffeboy

Well about 10s on google

Could have saved yourself 10secs by clicking the link in the first post 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Can you have a look at this pic and then read the link?

🙄

konabunny
    Free Member

As a general principle, is it safe to assume that any commentary passed on by a Facebook image is complete toss?

Tohseef Shah, Emdadur Choudhury, Poppy Burners And EDL Mosque Vandals

gonefishin
    Free Member

Fair enough. I assumed it was the FB link.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Actually, looks like they’ve blocked me from commenting on their page. Considering some of the nasty, spiteful and hateful comments that have been allowed to be posted on there I think its laughable!

DezB
    Free Member

Youtube comments… Facebook groups… I really don’t know why anyone would bother reading them or joining them. Seriously, they are just full of morons posting bollocks on the internet.

Northwind

Don’t believe everything you think.

mt
    Free Member

is that a Banksy?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Agreed Dez. I still think they needed to be taken to task over it.

Am I turning into TJ?

wwaswas

is that a Banksy?

no, it’s a mosquey. The Banksy’s next to the Supermarkety.

bruneep

DezB – Member
    Youtube comments… Facebook groups… I really don’t know why anyone would bother reading them or joining them. Seriously, they are just full of morons posting bollocks on the internet.

Yet you are on here……..

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks like it used to be a cinema-y.

DezB
    Free Member

Yet you are on here……

What’s that got to do with anything? Is this Facebook? Youtube?
    Or are you trying to turn it into the same by being a moron posting bollocks?

yesiamtom
    Free Member

I live in Portsmouth and never even heard about this poppy, probably just some idiots being idiots. Let’s not give said idiots any more media attention please and move onto more important things, like bikes?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure why it would be either racist or inflammatory. Poppies are about remembering war dead as a general principle, aren’t they? Across all wars and all countries?

So why would this be a problem other than simple graffiti?

Kryton57

mt – Member
    The perps are …

You are Judge Dredd and I claim my £5.

Lifer
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Not sure why it would be either racist or inflammatory. Poppies are about remembering war dead as a general principle, aren’t they? Across all wars and all countries?

So why would this be a problem other than simple graffiti?

The two men sentenced to 12 months prison, did more than just spray poppies and political messages on the mosque. They also defaced a nearby store and guest house, both of which were owned by Asian businessmen. And an upstairs window on the store was smashed with a brick. Ironically, the store was reportedly selling Remembrance Day poppies at the time of the attack. Other evidence showed that the men had planned the attack beforehand.

Thus, the attack was considered to be racially motivated. The men admitted conspiracy to commit racially aggravated criminal damage and were sentenced accordingly.

pondo

no, it’s a mosquey. The Banksy’s next to the Supermarkety.

Oh, I do like that. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lifer I did read that, my comments were aimed at the OP who seemed to be asking about the poppy specifically.

The link says they admitted conspiring to commit racially motivated attacks, which seems to make it a fair cop.

PJM1974
    Free Member

In the interests of balance, we need to look at this:

Here.

DezB
    Free Member

Hey, PJM1974 that story’ll never take off. It’s REAL!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

And was basically called a moron…

And quite rightly so. What on earth is “misogynistic” about it??

bigyinn
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Lifer I did read that, my comments were aimed at the OP who seemed to be asking about the poppy specifically.
    For the sake of clarity I was not talking about the poppy, but more the manipulation of “facts” to portray Muslim’s in a negative manner and suggest double standards in the justice system in favour of Muslims.

Shibboleth – Member

And was basically called a moron…

And quite rightly so. What on earth is “misogynistic” about it??
    Nothing, my post was taking them to task over a number of offensives posts of varying types, the one I listed being an example of racist intent. Others were misogynistic in content, which I have specifically referred to. Ok? Clear now?

Rather than picking holes in my post, perhaps you could add something to the discussion? Thanks

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Like other “created” stories, isnt this best ignored? Doesn’t deserve any attention at all.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Rather than picking holes in my post, perhaps you could add something to the discussion? Thanks

That sentence is no place for a question mark. HTH 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

but more the manipulation of “facts” to portray Muslim’s in a negative manner and suggest double standards in the justice system in favour of Muslims

Have you read 1984?
    With the demise of the threat of communism taking us over and destroying our very way of life we needed another threat to keep us in our place/manipulate us etc. this is yet another story by the powers that be to help keep us all scared.
    the reality is the bombings here happened because of our foreign policy which was meant to stop this “threat”
    It appeals to those who already think like this anyway – ie stupid racists who dont want all the facts but want to claim the system is weighted against white folks and muslims get away with it etc

I wish shib was 10 % as funny and smart as he thinks he is – he is 100% awesome though

bigyinn
    Free Member

Really? Am I not asking you to do something? Hence the question mark.

phildaws
    Free Member

I think inflamatory, with racist intent…. but you will get nowhere arguing with people who post up stuff like that, just frustration on your part.

My way to deal with it is to keep reading links like that PJM1974’s posted up (and an extra one below), just take comfort that there are decent, normal people in all races/religions.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/27/edl-york-mosque-cup-of-tea-woolwich-_n_3341891.html

BobaFatt
    Free Member

thisI hold these posts in the same regard as “like this if you hate cancer”,” December hasSundays this is called moneybags” and “I know 95%of my friends won’t pass this on” crap……. Have people nothing better to do with their time than come up with crap like this?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I think you’re right that Im wasting my time, but just felt something needed to be said.

Flaperon

Don’t you think it’s a bit weird that you can be prosecuted for burning a poppy in the first place? Ignorant and offensive it may be, but I tend to feel that the millions who are remembered today died to give us the freedom to do it.

Politicians might like to argue that things are better now in the Middle East, but lets face it, hundreds of thousands have died needlessly (and every death in every war is probably needless) and if my family had been amongst them I can easily see why someone would find it hypocritical that Remembrance Sunday now seems to be more about military pomp and circumstance than about the simple job of remembering the fallen.

Those burning the poppies might not see things this way.

Peyote
    Free Member

What’s the “Islam will dominate Osama” bit all about? Something to do with moderate Islam overcoming the more dangerous extremists?

Peyote
    Free Member

Politicians might like to argue that things are better now in the Middle East, but lets face it, hundreds of thousands have died needlessly (and every death in every war is probably needless) and if my family had been amongst them I can easily see why someone would find it hypocritical that Remembrance Sunday now seems to be more about military pomp and circumstance than about the simple job of remembering the fallen.

Yeah, I was watching the news yesterday, I think under five hundred British soldiers had been killed in Helmand since the start of the Afghan offensive. I wonder how many Civilians had been killed in the same time period?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Is this racist or just inflamatory?’ is closed to new replies.