Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Is this Petty: Reporting 'signs' on public/common land and highways
  • richc
    Free Member

I’m not sure if this is petty but in response to all the usual Labour/Conservative and Lib Dem signs in peoples gardens (which is fine) it appears that UKIP have started to put up signs on the clear bits of grass by junctions around where I live, as it appears that no one is crazy enough to put them in there gardens, so they are dumping them whereever they can.

So would it be petty to ask the council to remove them, as they are litter aren’t they?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Do they have a picture of the candidate? If so get a black marker and give them all Hitler moustaches 🙂

MSP

Maybe drop the electoral commission an email to ask if it is allowed, I don’t think they should be putting them up on land without permission.

richc
    Free Member

I was thinking of that and adding a swastika 🙂

I might just report them for fly posting…… **** retards keep sticker flyer through my door as well…….

wombat

Report it, it sounds like fly-tipping 😉

MSP

Not so much fly tipping as fly posting, which is also equally illegal.

http://www.environmentlaw.org.uk/rte.asp?id=48

andyl
    Free Member

I was thinking of that and adding a swastika

Someone has done this very same thing on the outskirts of Weston S M.

richc
    Free Member

I reported it as flyposting and mentioned fly tipping as they appear to be being dumped at quite a few junctions around by me in the verges (not in people gardens).

I’m near W-s-M so someone else might beat me to it 🙂

martinhutch

We did this to my staunch Liberal-supporting aunt. Stuck up a stack of signs for the odious tory Simon Burns along her verge. She wasn’t amused.

Trimix
    Free Member

Do people actually think the signs make a difference to peoples voting behaviour ?

A few have gone up where I live, but my MP is Cameron and its such a safe seat they could replace him with anything (animal/vegetable/mineral) and they would still get in.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Simon Burns – My MP

Also absolutely loathe him. Unfortunately a ‘safe seat’.

richc
    Free Member

My MP is Liam Fox if they replaced him with a dead goalpost moving badger it would get elected.

Other choice is the Tory-Lite Lib Dems, so little choice for me unless there is a huge swing, and if you want Tory you might as well vote for them rather than one of their bitch-boys.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do people actually think the signs make a difference to peoples voting behaviour ?

I assume the people putting the signs up do

nemesis
    Free Member

Or is it a ‘proud to support X’ type thing – like putting up a union jack in your garden (is that allowed? IIRC wasn’t Brown going to change the law so people could do that?)

chewkw
    Free Member

I keep getting letters from the Labour candidate addressing me with my full name which is scary as I think they are watching me like the communist spies …

Bloody hell should I report them for sending me junk mail? It’s a health and safety issue coz someone might set fire to them letters …

The red armies are on the moved so watch out …

😯

ninfan
    Free Member

Signs/advertisements regarding an upcoming election are normally excluded from planning control as long as taken down within 14 days of the close of polls

As for roadside/manorial waste/common land issues, I can’t see any grounds for suggesting that they amounted to a hindrance of any rights of access or common, any interference would be de minimis

Tell me, is your problem that they are on verges etc. or is your problem that they advertise UKIP? In which case I would say that we live in a democracy, learn to love it or move somewhere else.

chewkw
    Free Member

ninfan – Member
    Tell me, is your problem that they are on verges etc. or is your problem that they advertise UKIP? In which case I would say that we live in a democracy, learn to love it or move somewhere else.

Stone him for daring to voice his democratic concerns.

😆

Cougar

It’s all about raising the profile of the brand, isn’t it. Psychologically, lots of posters must mean they’re a “big” party.

chewkw
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

It’s all about raising the profile of the brand, isn’t it. Psychologically, lots of posters must mean they’re a “big” party. [/quote]

I wonder who do they award the printing contract to? Cronies?

I don’t mind being a crony if they award me all the printing contracts …

I am just that sort of people Labour should help out coz I don’t have enough money and earning a hard living as lowly bureaucrat.

Nick

Owen Patterson is my mp, yes he of goal-post-moving-badgers and attempted sell off of Forestry.

The farmers and rich old widows around here love him it seems 🙁 Even f’in up the flooding isn’t going to shift him (didn’t flood in his constituency did it)

El-bent
    Free Member

In which case I would say that we live in a democracy, learn to love it or move somewhere else.

Start defacing them then. 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not sure but advertising signs may have to pay business rates…..?

lemonysam
    Free Member

didn’t flood in his constituency did it

Makes you think…

richc
    Free Member

My problem is they are on the verges, if one set of **** start doing it next thing you know there will be forest of placards on every verge as each party tries to stick more up than the next in a feeble attempt to woo the plebs.

convert

Well if you look at the Sottish referendum they didn’t. Yes signs outnumbered No by about 20 to 1 and we all know how that ended. I think a lot of No supporters felt intimidated into not putting up signs but that’s probably another topic.

andyl
    Free Member

Junction with Summer lane as you head from Weston into Banwell. UKIP banners on the corner facing you (on your left) just after you get to the 40 zone from NSL.

richc
    Free Member

One’s I have seen are off the A370 around Backwell and on the outskirts of Flax Burton near the junction for Belmont Hill

ninfan
    Free Member

I think a lot of No supporters felt intimidated into not putting up signs but that’s probably another topic.

I suspect it may be very much on topic…

yunki
    Free Member

On a related note..

what are the laws about defacing these things?
    fair game?
    or criminal damage?

andyl
    Free Member

ahh not been that way for a while. On previous occasions there has been some along the wall of a house in Tickenham.

I know I shouldnt, but I do worry that seeing their banners means someone near me supports and shares their views. for some reason the UKIP ones just seem to be more in your face than the old estate agent style boards you used to see for the main 3 parties (Cons, Labour and the Greens 😉 )

andyl
    Free Member

or criminal damage?

I am guessing this ^

yunki
    Free Member

I think an £80 fixed penalty is worth the risk

CountZero

I keep getting letters from the Labour candidate addressing me with my full name which is scary as I think they are watching me like the communist spies …

Are you on the electoral role? If so, of course they’re using your full name. If you’ve signed up for anything like a charity, for example, your name will be on a mailing list, which get sold around interested parties who want to send out mailshots.
    Almost impossible to avoid, I would suggest every time you get something like that, junk mail, in other words, cross out your name, write ‘RTS’ on the envelope, and stick it back into a post box. If the address has a 2D barcode on it, don’t obscure it, as that contains data linking your address to the appropriate database, and speeds up the process of being removed from the database. A 2D barcode isn’t the line of short vertical lines directly below the address, it’s a little square made up from lots of tiny black squares to the right of the CBC/Customer Bar Code.
    I have to update charity databases as part of my job, and it’s a royal pain when labels cover the barcodes, I have to open the bloody envelope to let the scanner see the barcode.
    I’m saying this for anyone sending junkmail back, it just makes life a bit easier for the poor sod who has to sit in front of a computer that’s going ‘beep, beep, beep…’ passing hundreds of envelopes in front of a scanner. 😀

binners

Cover them over with these….

cbike
    Free Member

Poster Vandalism looks like fair game.

There is one in East Kilbride that swings from labour to tory depending on who last vandalised it! I Have been following its progress with interest.

crankboy
    Free Member

Last election I walked home from the pub along the verge regrettably a combination of drink and lack of light meant I accidentally stumbled over and destroyed every single Tory sign on the route. All part of the democratic process.

toppers3933
    Free Member

Leicestershire county councils policy is that no signs are allowed on publicly owned land. Presume sits the same elsewhere too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

who else got a nice letter from Martin Freeman telling me to vote Labour?

andyl
    Free Member

The local UKIP candidate will be all over the latest foreign invasion: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Huge-killer-hornets-ready-pounce-Bristol/story-26365086-detail/story.html

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Is this Petty: Reporting 'signs' on public/common land and highways’ is closed to new replies.