• This topic has 68 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by the00.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Is this on….Estate Agent content
  • DT78
    Free Member

Phoned up to place offer on property. Told I need to have my offer qualified by the inhouse advisors before they put the offer to the vendor.

Apparently it does not matter that I have my own IFA / know what I want to do. I’ve booked in for a 9am meeting, told I need an hour, which seems very strange for showing a email saying I have an agreement in principle from my lender. I am told they are independent and there is no conflict of interests. Even though they are located inside the EA’s branch.

I am tempted to contact the vendors direct….anyone come across this practise?

Article here on telegraph about it:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/borrowing/mortgages/10112554/We-wont-sell-you-a-home-unless-you-take-our-mortgage-estate-agents-tell-buyers.html

dantsw13

If I was a vendor I’d be furious.

jam-bo

i’d be dropping a letter through the vendors door.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I am tempted to contact the vendors direct….

I would. Imagine the vendors might insert a rocket somewhere.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Surely breaches EU anti competition rules and would mean any losses could be recouped through the court if you can prove your loss

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

It’s not on at all but sounds like there’s not much you can do about it. Annoying but see if they can get you a better offer – nothing lost if they do.

jekkyl

Absolutely disgusting practice.

pictonroad

I had this, it’s total BS. I saw a whiteboard in the EA office with ‘priority customers’ written on it. I asked how I become a priority customer, “take out a mortgage with us” was the answer. It was quiet in the office so I walked straight over to the mortgage adviser, he couldn’t beat my co-op mortgage offer and accused me of being a liar and wasting his time even though the rate was advertised in the paper… 🙄

matt_outandabout

We had this in Sheffield – a wheeze to get you to take out mortgage with them.

Just one of the multitude of ways they try to get more money out of you.

br
    Free Member

If I was a vendor I’d be furious.

But presumably the ‘deal’ they signed up to?

lucky7500

As said above, contact the vendor directly with your offer and explain that the agent is withholding offers from them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would be telling them to do one and just show them a letter/email from your mortgage lender.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

I could have sworn that that was illegal for the EA to put a condition on the offer being passed on. It’s certainly a legal requirement for the EA to pass on “all” offers. Not sure how the two come together.

Of course it could act in your favour, if others are put off making offers too. Less interest, usually means lower prices.

woffle
    Free Member

I’d be onto the vendor.

we had something similar and the agent was ‘filtering’ offers to the vendor. We only found out a year or so later when by accident got chatting to the vendor’s son. The agent had actually been shut down by then, I believe after being slapped on the wrist one too many times for similarly shonky practices.

we also had similar where a different agent insisted that we speak to their mortgage chap directly. I’m sure it wasn’t wholly accidental that the properties that the agent kept sending across suddenly jumped a price bracket (“I know your budget was X but I really think it’s worth you seeing this, even at X+50K…)

jimdubleyou

You can report if they signed up to a professional body

http://www.nfopp-regulation.co.uk/complaints/

Pretty sure this would fall under one of these:

12 General duty to uphold high standards of ethical and professional
    behaviour
    12.1. No member shall do any act (whether in business or otherwise) which:
    12.1.1. Involves dishonesty, deceitful behaviour, or misrepresentation; or
    12.1.2. Involves unprofessional practice or practice that is unfair to members of the public; or
    12.1.3. In any other way brings the NFoPP or any of its divisions or subsidiaries into disrepute.

http://www.nfopp-regulation.co.uk/media/952372/nfopp-conduct-and-membership-rules.pdf

If they give you bad advice, you can have them under (I think) the financial ombudsman.

grantway
    Free Member

Yep I was more or less interegated over the phone and had to argue my point forward even though we owned our home outright. It wasn’t until I had given him my brokers number and told him to talk to him. They wouldn’t accept my offer and that was the asking price and the deal would be done within 2 months. Anyway looking forward to moving in 3 days time. I wish you luck, but be strong is all I can say.

Flaperon

Two estate agents in the last month asked to see a copy of my bank statement, despite the fact I’d exchanged on my current place and had a decision in principle.

They were invited to do one and I asked my solicitor to give them a call to confirm that I had the cash. But I got a really hard sell on the in-house mortgage; you’d be mad to use an estate-agent brokered mortgage.

gastromonkey
    Free Member

Flaperon, I agree when we bought our first house in 2007 the estate agent mortgage advisor told us we’d be lucky to get a mortgage even with our deposit. We went to a couple of banks and a building society who told us we could have almost double the amount we needed. The guy was clueless and very patronising, we where in our early twenties with good jobs and savings, but he spoke to us like we where 10 years old, stupid and wasting everyone’s time. Safe to say we’d never go back to them and when we come to sell our property we won’t be using that agency.

Ewan
    Free Member

Massively dodgy. They’ll know exactly what your highest offer could be. Pretty certain its against the rules – letter through vendors door.

dannybgoode

The estate agent has to be sure you have the finances in place before they can formally confirm the offer acceptance.

It would be a bit shit if vendors are having properties taken off the market only to find out later the purchaser has no way of actually buying the house.

But you are absolutely free to use whoever you want to arrange the finance-the EA only needs to see a copy of the mortgage offer or proof of other funds.

If you look at the national estate agents rules I think I’m right in saying you’ll see that financial qualification is a requirement before an offer can be formally put forward.

Edit: note I insure estate agents against dodgy behaviour so have good working knowledge of them…

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Impossible for an agent to see an offer. You only get an offer from a lender when the property you are buying has had a mortgage valuation done by the lender. The agent might ask to see your agreement in principle.

dannybgoode

Apologies-yes it is the AiP they need. Was just getting off the train when I was typing.

But they do need to see it…

Ewan
    Free Member

When i’ve bought places (admittedly only two) i’ve only shown the AIP after the offer has been accepted. They asked before, I pointed out that negotiating was not about showing your hand, and they accepted that.

If you look at the national estate agents rules I think I’m right in saying you’ll see that financial qualification is a requirement before an offer can be formally put forward.

Edit: note I insure estate agents against dodgy behaviour so have good working knowledge of them…

Clearly not that good a working knowledge! Have a look at the estate agents act 1979 and related regulations (e.g. The Estate Agents (Undesirable Practices) (No. 2) Order 1991 SI 1991 No. 1302). Rather than quote the act or regulation, here’s the OFT guidance with a handy look up table at the back (http://www.cimaglobal.com/Documents/ImportedDocuments/The_estate_agency_guide_jan06.pdf).

You must not discriminate against potential buyers because they don’t want, or
    might refuse, to take services from you or a connected person, or someone
    from whom you or a connected person may receive financial benefits.

For example, you must not:
    * refuse to provide information about property to these buyers
    * take longer to forward property particulars to these buyers than to others
    * make additional requirements of these buyers as a condition of passing on
    an offer – for example, make them have a mortgage survey before you will
    pass on their offers.

So OP – i’d a) tell the estate agent to do one and quote the act b) post your offer through the door c) report the agent for unfair practices

dannybgoode

OK. Scenario for you.

You accept an offer and take the house off the market.

Two weeks later the EA calls you and says terribly sorry, your buyer can’t actually buy the house-we never checked their financials.

You then have to re-market and potentially have to accept a lower offer.

Simply can’t work like that-the buyer must be financially qualified before an offer can be ‘formally’ put forward.

The EA can advise of offers and you can say yes to them but before they put the sale to STC they need to FQ the buyer.

Trust me, if a seller lost money because the EA didn’t FQ the buyer then that would be a professional negligence claim. I know I’ve seen them (14 years reasonably senior professional negligence underwriter).

Bear in mind either party can pull out or renegotiate until exchange…

But no, the EA cannot make you use their advisers other than to FQ you.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Simply can’t work like that-the buyer must be financially qualified before an offer can be ‘formally’ put forward.

The EA can advise of offers and you can say yes to them but before they put the sale to STC they need to FQ the buyer.

Bullshit. It’s not up to the EA to decide who and who can’t offer on a property, unless the vendor has given them that authority. It is up to them to advise the vendor of all and any offers recieved and the status of the buyer. It is then up to the vendor to decide whether they wish to accept offers from buyers yet to have a MIP, having a MIP, Cash buyers or whatever.
    I’d be pretty pissed off if my agent took it on themselves to filter offers in this way, and as a buyer I’d be very pissed off if an agent demanded I speak to their mortgage fella before forwarding my offer.

wrecker
    Free Member

Showing the AiP to the agent; yeah I can get that. There is no way whatsoever I would be spending an hour in there though. It would literally be showing the AiP, not even sitting down and leaving straight after.

dannybgoode

@wrecker-that’s all you have to do. No appointments etc with their adviser though – that’s not OK.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We managed to buy a house without the EA seeing anything. In fact we exchanged without the solicitor seeing proof that we’d actually got the full 20% deposit.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

The agent acts for the seller and this could be an arrangement between the seller and agent that all offers will be checked as financially viable. Who cares!!!! Show them your AIP and tell them to update you on your offer ASAP or by close of business. Why bother getting all worked up about? By the way an AIP agreement in principle ain’t really worth a lot as it does confirm your credit worthiness but until all info credit search, credit score, payslips or accounts for self employed, maybe 3 months statements, full ID, maybe proof of child benefit / tax credits, mortgage valuation etc etc you have not got an offer. So even with an AIP things still get declined.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Ebygomm did you complete without proof of deposit to the solicitor????

ebygomm
    Free Member

No we exchanged with 10% deposit, the remaining 10% was transferred prior to completion but we nobody had ever asked for proof that we had the full 20% prior to exchange

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

But you showed the proof of deposit to your solicitor before completion though!?!? All though strange your solicitor commits you to purchase(by exchanging) without crossing all T’s dotting all i’s

ebygomm
    Free Member

The solicitor of course had the full deposit prior to completion. I just found it odd that they would allow exchange without being 100% sure that we could actually complete. So the idea that it is some sort of legal requirement for the EA to see proof of funds sounds incredibly unlikely.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My solicitor got really arsy when i didnt want to take my nationwide agreement in principal forward with his inhouse team,

Nowt to do with his in house team being half a % more for same product.

He did infer this would slow things down.

We still completed on time (to miss stamp duty)

dannybgoode

Solicitors are about the worst professional negligence risk you can insure-they make so many mistakes and cut so many corners it’s untrue.

Conveyancing solicitors find it very hard and very expensive to find cover as they are about the worst.

Don’t belive me-find a friendly underwriter who will happily confirm.

Ewan
    Free Member

We managed to buy a house without the EA seeing anything. In fact we exchanged without the solicitor seeing proof that we’d actually got the full 20% deposit.

Likewise, the solicitor got in writing from me (email) that I had the funds and that was enough. As I was employing them, i guess they decided to take my word for it.

Last time I got an AIP it was for way more than I ended up paying. No way would I show that to someone acting for the vendor, that’s stupid – “Don’t worry Mr Buyer – hold out for another 20 grand, I know he’s good for it”.

Either estate agent thinks you’re serious or you’re not.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Solicitors have to confirm deposit and deposit source for money laundering purposes.

Ewan
    Free Member

Trust me, if a seller lost money because the EA didn’t FQ the buyer then that would be a professional negligence claim. I know I’ve seen them (14 years reasonably senior professional negligence underwriter).

Bear in mind either party can pull out or renegotiate until exchange…

But no, the EA cannot make you use their advisers other than to FQ you.

Did you read the OFT guidance I posted? They can ask, and the seller might make it a condition of accepting the offer, but there is no legal requirement to do this.

Solicitors have to confirm deposit and deposit source for money laundering purposes.

Pretty certain, mine just asked for the account it’d come from and I said my savings account and the account numbers. Don’t recall any bank statements flying about.

DT78
    Free Member

I have been told I must be FQ by the independent advisor before they will place the offer. I’ll be taking in the MiP which states we can borrow more than the offer is. They have also asked for the full works as if applying for a mortgage, ID, 3 months payslips etc… Which I won’t be doing. I’ll sit down have a polite 15min conversation about the best 5 year deal they can offer but I won’t be doing any more. Whether they tell me they are independent or not as far as I am concerned it is a conflict of interest. No way I could ever prove they disclosed my details even if there are laws about it.

Apparently they have also contacted my EA we have sold with asking for our solicitors details.

Last offer we made, that EA contacted our EA to check we were under offer and that was enough along with out verbal conformation we have a MiP.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Is this on….Estate Agent content’ is closed to new replies.