Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Is this ok for a cheap PC?
  • Clink

Need a new desktop; web, running office docs, normal; home use.

IT guys/gals is this a good bet:
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-1665.aspx

Gordy
    Free Member

Yes, it'll do that nae bother.

Ewan
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Clink

Cheers. I've got a Windows XP somewhere; presume that will do the job?

mboy
    Free Member

That Tesco's PC will do the job nicely.

The one from ebuyer even more nicely! I've got one of the previous model ebuyer specials (which actually uses the same processor as the Tesco's one) and can highly recommend it. The model linked to above has a slightly faster processor and a bigger HD. Plus if you've already got a copy of XP lying about unused (as I had), then it makes sense… Though could buy a copy of Windows 7 64 bit for it by all means.

Oh, and my ebuyer special PC I upgraded with a NVIDIA 9500GT Graphics card too (OK budget card) for an extra £40 or so, and this setup is quite frankly unbeatable for the money. Not that you necessarily want to, but I can play some pretty recent games at quite decent settings, something you don't usually expect on PC's for much less than £500 or so…

Clink

Thanks MaverickBoy – just the sort of reassurance I need! A couple of comments on reviews mention probs installing drivers. Is this something to be wary of?

mboy
    Free Member

All the drivers come on a CD with the computer, so if anything does go wrong, you just insert the CD, and return to the default drivers. All updated drivers are easily downloaded from their respective websites though anyway.

To be honest, if you're the kind of person that struggles with PC's past switching them on, checking your emails and surfing the net, I'd advise against installing an OS on a PC yourself. If however you're reasonably computer literate, it's a piece of the proverbial. This desktop was the first time I'd done it myself, and though I was a bit daunted at first, to be honest it was pretty easy and allowed me a clean, unadulterated (by annoying bloatware and popups!) copy of Windows on my computer.

I read the very same reviews that you did before I ordered the computer myself, and to be honest, they were what delayed my purchase by a couple of weeks whilst I pondered on the difficulties. Seriously, wish I hadn't waited now! It was all that easy… Just remember that if anything goes tits up, revert back to original settings… I think the people that had issues with drivers probably didn't actually insert the driver CD at all… It's included with the PC for a reason, you need to install the drivers before you'll be able to do things such as go on the internet, or have any sound.

If you get one, don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have any issues/worries, I should be able to talk you through anything easily enough.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Whats the matter with your old one, holiday boy?

Clink

Whats the matter with your old one, holiday boy?

😆
    Our desktop broke ages back; now relying on one laptop, but need 2 pcs (particularly for work).

Any more PipeDream news?

If you get one, don't hesitate to give me a shout if you have any issues/worries, I should be able to talk you through anything easily enough.

Ta for that – might well do that.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

oooh, yes! You coming out to play tomorrow?

Did you get that Van nic Seatpost?

Clink

You coming out to play tomorrow?

Nope sorry – out at friends house 😥 Hope to see you sunday?
    Struggling a bit with seeping graze from last Friday too.

Did you get that Van nic Seatpost?

i'm not sure; I don't think so!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Sunday is good. I'll hold my news till then. Good luck with the seatpost – if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you!

Clink

Ooh news! See you Sunday.

Wally

No, seatpost was quite a saga, turned out none of the three fishes hooked on got it. IMO a little bit poor show to advertise stuff that is not actually available. But it was quite entertaining.

muddy_bum
    Free Member

You are aware that there does not seem to be a screen, keyboard or mouse with it?

Clink

You are aware that there does not seem to be a screen, keyboard or mouse with it?

Yep!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Is this ok for a cheap PC?’ is closed to new replies.