• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is this legal in the uk?
  • weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

a)?

or
    b)

br
    Free Member

No, unless there were lights/reflectors/plates etc at the rear

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

Otherwise no problem for either method?

andyl
    Free Member

I think I would rather a than b

timba
    Free Member

Stravaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

towzer

with b there might be a tyres issue, as I suspect the bike tyre is not ‘road legal’ – ie not properly marked with speed, size load rating etc and you have sort of turned it into a trailer.
    “ECE Markings
    For a tyre to be legally used in the UK, it must carry an ‘E’ or ‘e’ letter which shows that it is approved to European Standards for tyre loads and speeds.
    Each tyre make and type will have a unique 5 or 6 digit number following the ‘E’ letter which is a reproduction of the certificate of approval number. The ‘E’ certifies that the tyre complies with the dimensional, performance and marking requirements of ECE Regulations (R30 in the case of passenger and R54 in the case of Commercial). The ‘E’ certifies that the tyre complies with the dimensional, performance and marking requirements of DIRECTIVE 92/23/EEC and relates to tyres without specific speed rating for example ZR tyres (Passenger only).
    The number associated with the letter ‘E’ in the circle or ‘e’ in the rectangle is the code number of the government which granted the approval.
    It should be noted that if there is no certificate number then the E or e mark is not valid.
    At present ECE marks are not yet a legal requirement unless the regulations have been ratified by the parliament of the individual.
    Tyres will now have additional e-marks for meeting the new European noise regulations.”

I’d also be interested to see how warm etc the tyre was after 30 miles at 50mph as well

what about a motorbike trailer ?

also re br s post – http://www.sussex.police.uk/help-centre/ask-us/roads,-driving-and-cycling/how-much-overhang-can-i-have-to-the-front-and-rear-of-my-vehicle

Ie I’ve driven with posts etc out the back (I tie a reflective vest with a flashing bike led pinned to it) – never stopped (*but never been ‘daft either)

boxelder

I know a fella that used to use method a. Was covered on the home page here or the mag iirc.

benji
    Free Member

I can’t see there being a problem with a as long as it’s properly secured and the lights and number plate are not obscured.

andyl
    Free Member

Have seen (a) done quite a bit in the states. A heavy full suspension bike is a bit more of a worry though. Sidecar?

Olly
    Free Member

legal or not, you’re still getting stopped.

Northwind

Saw one at glentress like A… I suppose it’s just an overhanging load so:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/362006/A_brief_guide_to_overhanging_loads.pdf

No different to a ladder on a roofrack really. Obvious practical considerations is all your kit, you’d need panniers big enough to stash a motorbike helmet, riding kit etc. Not hard to do.

Gave it some thought, bought a car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the better question is even if it is legal why would you?
    Unless you are delivering bikes in a city or something carrying your bike kit, stashing your motorbike gear and the rest will be a hassle.
    Given you can fit a bike and ride kit (even overnight gear) in one of these
    and it will be cheap to hire for a day.

rickon
    Free Member

Saw one at glentress like A…

I saw a chap overtake me on the way home with the bike like A from GT. I can’t help but think it’s dangerous, but maybe that’s cause I don’t ride a motorbike.

What would happen in a crash? Any chance of it flipping an mauling you, or are there worse thing to worry about if you get totalled in a crash?

kilo

couple of lads in my club have them

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is this legal in the uk?’ is closed to new replies.