• This topic has 21 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Is this laptop reasonable for £199
  • lakesrider
    Free Member

Spec is
    Intel ® Core (TM) i3-4010U Processor
    Windows 8.1 with free win 10 upgrade
    NVIDIA ® GeForce ® GT 745m DirectX ® 11 graphics
    500GB hybrid hard drive including cache (8 GB flash memory)
    4GB RAM
    Dolby Home Theater ® v4
    300 ° Stand Mode
    39.6 cm/15, 6 ” touchscreen HD display 1366×768
    Dvd writer

I know screen resolution isn’t the best but it’s same as I use now with no problems.

Cheers

mikey74
    Free Member

Depends on what you want to use it for. I’d say 4gb of RAM is very light these days. Can you upgrade the RAM?

lakesrider
    Free Member

Yeah upgradeable to 8gb

Just using for Internet, email, some docs and spreadsheets, and connecting to a vr bike trainer.

Is a hybrid drive good thing to have?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’d definitely upgrade the RAM as much as you can.

The processor is on the light side too, although may be OK for what you want to use it for. Personally, I’d go for at least an I5, but obviously that’s more money.

They’re definitely not as fast as modern SSDs. I think the idea is that the small SSD handles startup and the HDD handles the OS and general storage, so it is fast to startup, but has a greater storage capacity than most SSDs.I think the performance advantages are debatable.
    Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Is that new? If so that’s an excellent spec for £200 and an i3 will be fine.

Cougar

Just using for Internet, email, some docs and spreadsheets, and connecting to a vr bike trainer.

I’d definitely upgrade the RAM as much as you can.

I wouldn’t bother. For what you’re using it for, that spec is more than ample.

What brand is it?

lakesrider
    Free Member

Yeah brand new

flannol
    Free Member

(If you don’t mind sharing) where is this on sale? / built

lakesrider
    Free Member

Just clicked buy, was only one left in stock so thought I’d go for it.

It’s a medion, seem a lot of German pages with it on. Think it’s an end of line model.

Was on the medion ebay shop site, but brand new

flannol
    Free Member

A fair enough! Nice buy 😉

lakesrider
    Free Member

Can’t get ebay working on my phone now to post the link but model is MD 98455 in case they get more stock, or could check German ebay site / medion shop

gobuchul
    Free Member

I have just put a hybrid drive into my laptop and it is noticeably faster than before.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on what you want to use it for. I’d say 4gb of RAM is very light these days.

Ram requirements have gone down since they’ve been working on tidying up Windows so it needs less RAM.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and it is noticeably faster than before.

Faster at what? Disc access is an issue on boot or when dealing with big files, after that most stuff happens in ram.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Faster at what?

Boot speed definitely.

Opening drawing programs, Rhino and SketchUp. Much quicker.

molgrips
    Free Member

Disc access is an issue on boot or when dealing with big files

And when opening software.. in other words, the stuff that causes the most annoying waits.. which is why SSDs make your computer feel so much faster since the stuff they speed up (a lot) is the stuff that causes most of the annoyance.

mikey74
    Free Member

Ram requirements have gone down since they’ve been working on tidying up Windows so it needs less RAM.

Maybe so, but things like multiple tabs in browsers and multi-tasking still benefit from more RAM. I’m not saying it will be a dud with 4gb, I’m just saying it’s a fairly cheap upgrade that is worth doing.

matt_outandabout

I run a 3yr old Acer S3 with i3 and 4gb with no graphics card and hybrid SSD as my work laptop.

It is cracking machine, and for what you describe more than adequate. Windows 10 has noticeably speeded it up.

lonesomewanderer
    Free Member

Yep, probably end of line, 4010U is a 2013 Haswell processor so 1-2 generations old. Not a bad price though…

deadkenny
    Free Member

RAM depends if it’s running 64bit or 32bit. 32 needs less. My Dell Venue tablet is running 32bit and perfectly happy with just 2GB for what I use it for.

Though if you need a fair bit, 64bit allows you to exceed 4GB. Chances are you won’t need it though.

Other than that, there’s more than the spec to consider. Build quality, support, ease of replacing or upgrading components if possible at all. Given it’s a laptop with moving parts, how quiet is it and how hot does it get.

skids
    Free Member

it’s cheap considering it has a dedicated graphics card, RAM is irrelevant it costs a few pounds

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s a very good spec for intended use and very good value I would say.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Is this laptop reasonable for £199’ is closed to new replies.