Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is this illegal?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

PE Teacher

I didn’t think it was possible to specify a sex in a job ad. these days, or has the law changed?

scaredypants

no idea – could read the ad as “teacher of female pe” though

Junkyard
    Free Member

An excellent girls Physical Education (PE) teacher is required for a fantastic opportunity within a school based in Kingston for an immediate start.

[quote]‘No terminology in the above advertisement is intended to discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation. Tradewind Recruitment is proud to be an Equal Opportunities Employer and accepts applications from all sections of the community.[/quote]

Spongebob
    Free Member

No, it’s a mixed sex school according to the ad.

Spongebob
    Free Member

The disclaimer is a cop out, that ad. Is clearly inviting female applicants.

scaredypants

An excellent girls Physical Education (PE) teacher is required

Addit: of course they want a woman – I’m comfy with that. I’d rather a woman was hanging around my daughter’s changing rooms than a bloke

… but I doubt that their ad breaks any rules

Junkyard
    Free Member

🙄

scaredypants

junky, is that you looking up someone’s gym skirt ? 😉

maccruiskeen

Its a bit ambiguous as to whether they are looking for a female to teach PE or a teacher to teach PE to females.

However, don’t be put off by the advert. If you are interested in the job get Tootsie out on DVD before the interview. Im sure you can bluff your way through.

chewkw
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member

PE Teacher

I didn’t think it was possible to specify a sex in a job ad. these days, or has the law changed?

Why not? After all that’s what they want.

Recruitment ads are getting very economical with their truth nowadays and they are really wasting people time.

Now if they do not specify gender what do you think they will do to the applications if they still have female PE teacher in mind?

Well, simple just bin those male applicants and send out standard polite letter to tell them they have been rejected.

Or if they don’t like your look they will have ways to reject you so why go through the pain of applying only for the HR dept to make up their numbers to justify their positions?

What matter most is honesty.

🙄

zokes
    Free Member

I’d rather a woman was hanging around my daughter’s changing rooms than a bloke

Yes, of course there are no female paedophiles

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Addit: of course they want a woman – I’m comfy with that. I’d rather a woman was hanging around my daughter’s changing rooms than a bloke

My understanding is that teachers aren’t allowed in the changing rooms anymore, so the teachers sex isn’t an issue. Great news for school bullies, not so great for the pervy teachers.

scaredypants

Yes, of course there are no female paedophiles

You’re right of course – I don’t know what I was thinking 😳

Oh, yeh – something about how comfortable the kids would feel when getting changed in front of a either a (slim chance I admit) non-paedophile woman or bloke. It’s been a while since I was at school but I assume the teachers still supervise them getting in & out of the changing areas

Addit – really tucker ? how do kids find out about sex these days then ?

poly
    Free Member

there are some circumstances when it IS legal to specify the gender of applicants. These positions are known as Genuine Occupational Qualifications (GOQs). The classic example used is a support worker in a Rape Crisis Centre could reasonably be expected to be female! The law defines when GOQs can apply. Words roughly to the effect of ‘modesty or states of undress’ is one of the situations. I can see that this could be a significant enough part of the job that a school could stipulate. [Although the disclaimer at the bottom makes it less clear – and perhaps its someone to teach girls?]. Where there is a GOQ it would normally be stated in the Ad.

My understanding is that teachers aren’t allowed in the changing rooms anymore, so the teachers sex isn’t an issue. Great news for school bullies, not so great for the pervy teachers.

I doubt any school can guarantee that a teacher is never needed to enter an area with pupils in a state of undress; whether that is to deal with a discipline issue, an injury (which may not be that uncommon in sports) or an emotional or upset pupil (perhaps having been bullied!). It may no longer be normal, but it can’t be eliminated. If they take pupils to play sports in other places its not uncommon for “team talks” to take place in changing rooms etc either.

However either way its a poorly worded ad.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Poorly worded ad…really? IMO they know exactly what they are doing. One clear line of what they want, one line of ambiguity and a disclaimer to cover all bases. Any bloke thinking of applying for that job must be a believer in long odds, incredibly resilient or simply daft.

Northwind

That’s the sort of ad I’d have definitely responded to, while trying to chalk up my mandatory 6 jobseeking activities without actually getting any jobs 🙂

poly
    Free Member

THM – yes its a poorly worded ad.

If they are looking for a woman and have a legit reason then they should say so and include the industry best practice “GOQ” blurb.

If they are looking for someone to teach girls PE but it don’t care about gender then they’ve just lost a load of candidates. Some of whom might be quite good. They’ve also potentially left themselves open to discrimination claims.

If they can’t really justify the GOQ but hoped to put off any men as you imply, then as well as the ‘legal threat’ they have probably missed a more constructive way of doing it. Why not list the skills / subjects you want them to teach (and have demonstrable experience in) which would likely bias towards women anyway – e.g. Netball, Aerobics, Dance or ‘coaching girls’ or ‘encouraging girls to take an active part in sport’ etc… You might still get a man applying but he’s either not going to get the job (for legit reasons) or he’s possibly just what you need.

CountZero

I just read it as an ad for someone to teach PE to girls,

An excellent girls Physical Education (PE) teacher

Although the actual job title is

Female PE Teacher in Kingston

, so somewhat vague.

konabunny
    Free Member

I would have assumed it was a position for which sex discrimination was permitted and the nondiscrimjantio but at the bottom was just cut and paste without thinking. Of course, if they are going to recruit for positions which will discriminate on sex they should say that they won’t unlawfully discriminate etc.

Poorly worded ad…really? IMO they know exactly what they are doing.

I think that suggests a degree of thoughtfulness and cunning on the part of recruiters that might be unusual…

oliverd1981
    Free Member

could it just be that they have a lawful reason to discriminate, which they expect male PE teachers would be aware of and they just didn’t have space for all of the GOQ boilerplate?

Well, simple just bin those male applicants and send out standard polite letter to tell them they have been rejected.

Or just issue heaps of resounding silence – rejection letters imply that applications have a enevlope to shredder life of more than 15 seconds.

Also there’s probably a legal fudge if they already have enough male PE teachers. If the gender mix of PE teachers was very skewed in either direction this discrimination could be a problem – but luckily kids still pop out in a roughly 50:50 distribution so the overall demand won’t be biased.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Turn up in reception dressed as a transvestite, and ask them if you’re the kind of thing they’re looking for.

chilled76
    Free Member

It’s not breaking any laws. It’s a role that requires being in an environment where teenage girls are getting changed… it’s safeguarding the pupils.

There is clear reason as to why the ad effectively discriminates against male applicants and when replacing a male PE teacher there is the same discrimination in reverse.

Certain police prison and customs jobs that involve searching people involve the same gender specifications when advertising.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Sounds like they split PE lesson along gender lines, and they need a teacher to teach the girls – a teacher of female PE, if you will. The title of the ad is ambiguous, but first line and the disclaimer make it clear they aren’t closed to applications from men.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ilegal? £33,800.00 – £36,400.00 for a bloody PE teacher ???

Paying them that much should be illegal. 😉

xiphon
    Free Member

Those who can, teach.

Those who can’t, teach PE.

😉

avdave2

Those who can, teach.

Those who can’t, teach PE.

With a touch of geography on the side.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is this illegal?’ is closed to new replies.