• This topic has 42 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Is this hub goosed ??
  • renton
    Free Member

Just bought a set of wheels off the classifieds and unpacked them and found this ……

Two of the disc brake mounting holes have cracks right through them.

It’s a hope pro 2 Evo hub.

What do you think.

simondbarnes

I’d send them back

renton
    Free Member

The seller has so far offered a partial refund but has suggested I contact hope to see about warranty.

renton
    Free Member

Other than the cracks they seem to be in very good condition.

russyh
    Free Member

Hope won’t warrant it unless you are original owner. So he would need to warrant. I would want full refund

simondbarnes

I guess it depends on how much you value reliable braking.

renton
    Free Member

🙁

I’d like to think braking is quite important to me !!

renton
    Free Member

Just out of interest how much would a wheel rebuild (strip and rebuild) cost ?

renton
    Free Member

Anyone ??

simondbarnes

£40ish, depending on where you have it done. It’s a PITA job.

davros

Evans cycles charged me £40 inc new spokes/nipples

scotroutes

Back to the seller. It’s their problem. If they can get them fixed under warranty then they’ll have something sellable again.

renton
    Free Member

Ok thanks.

What would be a reasonable outcome with this then do you think ?

matt_outandabout

That you get a set of wheels that is not knackered or money back?

simondbarnes

What would be a reasonable outcome with this then do you think ?

You return wheels and get full refund.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Weren’t even cleaned properly either.

Full refund.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pretty half arsed from the seller; if they’d bothered to clean them they would’ve seen they were damaged. Looks like a classifieds only user; get your money back.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Are they next to each other or opposing sides?

Assuming they’re not concurrent if the partial is enough* I’d take it and ride it (had a king hub which I rode for ages with similar from ham-fisted rotor bolt tightening) just check it every so often.

*it would have to make it spares and repairs money for the wheel in question mind.

jam-bo

I bought a set of wheels recently that had two of six bolt holes knackered on the rear.

But I knew it before I bought them and the price reflected it. It rides fine.

Poopscoop

Assuming the seller didn’t mention the cracks then it would be either back to the seller for a full refund OR a pretty substantial partial refund if you could live with the faults?

I couldn’t to be honest.

renton
    Free Member

The seller isn’t a classifieds only user.

He said that he had checked them before selling and didn’t notice any damage.

The two that are cracked are next to each other which is also why I’m a bit hesitant to keep it.

I’ve mentioned that it shouldn’t be me contacting hope and he has said he will contact them however to be honest I’ve said that I would like a full refund plus costs to cover the postage cost back, does that sound fair ?

Seller hasn’t replied yet ?

russyh
    Free Member

To be honest, if it was a “proper” STW poster and not just a classified user I would split the cost of the postage back. I’m sure he didn’t go out of his/her way to purposely sell you a dodgy set of wheels. But maybe i am a soft touch.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He said that he had checked them before selling and didn’t notice any damage.

renton
    Free Member

Russyh I’m not saying he did mate.

russyh
    Free Member

I know mate. Personally if the chap is genuine, then I would split it. Alternatively I would pay for the postage back on the proviso that when hope warranty them he sells them back to me at the agreed price.

Poopscoop

Yeah, full refund is reasonable. Thats not just a cosmetic chip or such.

It might “incentivise” the seller if you contribute to postage. Not that you should have to though.

renton
    Free Member

I will wait and see what he says.

Was hoping to ride my bike tomorrow !!

Poopscoop

Good luck with sorting it mate.

Hopefully he will do the right thing and you’ll be out on the bike sooner than later! 🙂

ajantom

I suspect 2 things:

1) The seller knew full well they were cracked – the suggestion that you contact Hope about warranty would lead one to assume he’d already thought about it before selling them.

2) Hope would be well within their rights to refuse warranty on that, as cracked rotor bolt holes are generally not down to manufacturing defects, but ham-fisted tightening of bolts.

Which leads us back to point 1, as the seller probably knew this and hoped you wouldn’t notice, or would only notice after a while and by then he could argue that you might have caused said cracks.

renton
    Free Member

I always check the rotor bolt holes on hope hubs as I’ve had two previous hubs that have done the same.

andyl
    Free Member

has suggested I contact hope to see about warranty.

That makes me think the seller is a bit of a Richard.

If you can build wheels then a pro 2 front hub goes for about £30-35 used so if it was genuine and I wanted the wheels I would get £35-40 back off the seller and rebuild it. If you can sell the end caps on that’s £5 back or sell the whole hub for someones pub bike/ornament/upcycling for £10.

I would say it’s full refund time and the seller pays return postage. Did you pay by paypal? Check if you have the offer on your account for paypal to refund return postage up to £15 for up to 12 items a year.

renton
    Free Member

Andyl ….. Its a rear pro 2 evo hub which sell for more than £30-35 used.

Also I cant build wheels which is why I was asking about rebuild costs.

I dont think he is a bit of a dick but feel it is a bit cheeky to offer a partial refund that wouldnt cover the price of the hub and rebuild. He has since said he will contact hope today.

Looking over his previous posts it looks like although the wheels are a couple of years old they havent done much mileage.

I also believe he has his hands full with a big personal issue at home.

weeksy

I also believe he has his hands full with a big personal issue at home.

They always seem to… I may be cynical, but i can’t understand how so many people who sell broken stuff always seem to have complicated lives too

Speshpaul

Renton.
    if you are anywhere near Shropshire i’ll relace it for you, for beer.
    there is a fair chance that Hope would supply you with a new shell, they certainly would for the original owner.

As for the failure, its the curse if blue thread lock. most rotor bolts come with a dollup on the threads and its not needed, chase if off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Then the simple thing is to give e a refund and be done with it. End of story.

renton
    Free Member

The thing is they apart from the cracks they seem to be a nice wheelset which , if repaired properly I would really like to keep.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I thinks thats been caused by the corrosion products that you get when you have dissimilar metals in contact.

renton
    Free Member

ive seen a few hubs cracked like this. On the old xc hubs they used to do it because the hole itself didnt goo all the way through on some of the early models

renton
    Free Member

Oh and thanks for the offer SPeshpaul !!

ehrob

Good luck getting it sorted, hopefully he’s just cocked up and will provide a full refund – but the cynic in me thinks that unless he can’t see properly he’d have noticed that. I’d be expecting to not be out of pocket at all here but a bit of postage money to get it sorted I could live with.

As for the personal issues – these clearly weren’t sufficient to prevent him advertising the wheels, taking your money, or posting the wheels out, so that isn’t your problem.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is this hub goosed ??’ is closed to new replies.