Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Is this head-tube crack fatal ?
  • loughor
    Free Member

Hi, Orange E6 from 2001, Easton 7005 ally tubing. Used now for commuting and mild xc. Is this fatal, can / should / how be repair considered ? I bow to the wisdom and thank in advance.

[/URL]

jam-bo

jubilee clip.

loughor
    Free Member

Unfortunately also found this ….

[/URL]

I’m loathe to scrap the thing, I love it and it’s original in 90% (bought second hand).
    Could / should I seek a welder ??

Ta again

bigsurfer
    Free Member

You need to get the OD of the tube measured accurately if it is a common metric size I would remove the forks drill a small hole in the end of the crack to stop it continuing up the head tube and find a clamp to fit over the outside of the tube. A jubilee clip or proper type band clamp would be better than nothing but I think the most important point is to drill the end of the crack to stop it getting longer.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

Just seen the pic of the second crack and I reckon the frame is probably scrap from a financial point of view, I am sure it can be welded if you really love the thing that much.

loughor
    Free Member

Cheers both. I haven’t taken to fork out yet to check the inside of the tube. Scraping a fingernail over it, it seems superficial, but yes, I think a couple of small holes and a dollop of weld stuff is the minimum.

tomd
    Free Member

It looks pretty terminal for the frame. If you look on ebay or the classified quite a few really nice older alloy frames go for very little money. Could be easier option that repair, and just swap the bits over.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

How good is your dentist? You’re looking at this all wrong, what you have right there is a bullet proof excuse for a new bike. repeat. NEW BIKE.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

yes it is repairable. Frank the Welder has a frame of mine at the moment. He is replacing the whole headtube. The trick is the aging of the aluminium after the work to put the strength back in. I am restoring the bike to its 90’s bling and wanted it repaired ‘properly’.. its costing an arm and a leg but not a kidney.

As to the if it is financially viable, thats only a question you can answer and depends on how much you love the frame. Only you know the answer.

A cheaper option is to get it welded by a decent welder, allegedly many of these prolong the life of the frame and work quite well. The weld will be obvious and how much trust you have in it will be down to you and the type of riding you do.

EDIT: agree with some of the above comments, dont think its a rare frame you have there, eBay might offer you the same model pretty cheaply and might be the best answer.

boxelder

it seems superficial,

😯 You sure?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

One word which does not spring to mind whilst looking at that second image is ‘Superficial’.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would not be riding that

Everything is repairable but that is a fairly substantial head tube crack at both ends that will only get worse

You could drill it and reduce the bike to pootling duties but i would not be wanting to nail gap jumps on that bike [ or any other actually but you get the point]

loughor
    Free Member

Okay, here’s the bike in all it’s “glory”. It’s tatty as a tatty thing having been stored outside for years in Hong Kong humidity. As it’s not used for anything too boisterous, I’m thinking, tack it up and carry on sailor ..??

[/URL]

hora
    Free Member

Thats done. Completely terminal. Hang it in the shed. Dont sell it as spares or repair.

zippykona

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Bung it on the classifieds.

loughor
    Free Member

ti-pin-man … left the UK a long time ago, who/where is Frank the Welder.. New head tube ? Hmmm, that’s a thought .. I really appreciate all your replies. I’ve plenty of bikes to ride, but am strangely fond of this old jalopy ..

molgrips
    Free Member

Do not ride it as it is. Just don’t! The stress of riding was enough to break the metal that was there, what do you think it’s going to do to the void which is now in its place?

It’s a super light race bike from 14 years ago, these things don’t last forever. Just move on.

j450n
    Free Member

Jambo beat me too it, 2 x jubilee clips and it’s job done!

or

Send frame back to Orange for warranty repair as a chancer! 🙂

poah
    Free Member

my orange was the same – I junked it

sobriety
    Free Member

stored outside for years in Hong Kong humidity.

Aluminium Frame+Steel Headset Cups+Serious Humidty = ****.

It’s definitely time to retire the old girl.

deluded
    Free Member

There’s a lack of optimism on this thread – suggest zip-ties top and bottom and confine riding to XC or light AM, but not Enduro.

hora
    Free Member

Strong parcel tape?

loughor
    Free Member

Really, thanks everyone for replies. I’ll yank the fork out when I get a chance, and if if it is any way salvageable, I will do so. As mentioned, it’s little more than a commuter these days, but I do like it .. ah well, as someone mentioned, new bike time is a-coming .. Cheers,
    JKM

BigDummy
    Free Member

I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? Has anyone ever seen a headtube burst? It’d probably just get really bad bearing-knock, like an amazingly loose headset….

🙂

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The fact that it’s failed so dramatically without apparent trauma suggests the Aluminium is past it’s best, so even if you were to replace the headtube, the rest of the frame could easily follow suit.

The jubilee clip idea could work though (if you’re unhealthily attached to the frame)… you could even lay a carbon wrap over the jubilee clips to distribute loads and improve aesthetics, though you’d risk transferring stresses elsewhere

BigDummy
    Free Member

the rest of the frame could easily follow suit.

Yeah, but he can just use a few more jubilee clips. He’s not using it for #enduro. Just mild XC…

😉

ndthornton
    Free Member

Based on the location of the cracks I wonder if the headset was slightly out of tolerance (or headtube).

Oh and bin it

loughor
    Free Member

Anybody got any pics of a similar type bodge ? I’d like to keep riding this for reasons that most here will understand .. I like it … it’s quick and comfy, although not as bullet-proof as I thought !!
    In the meantime, I’m going to take the fork out and take it to the local (this is HK !) window frame maker to see if he can drill and tack the thing ..
    Pics shall of course follow …
    Thank You all very much

matt_outandabout

Make it some wall art.

bigyinn
    Free Member

At a guess corrosion between the headtube and the headset cup has built up and split the head tube top and bottom.
    The bottom cup gets the majority of the forces through it so its pretty weakened. Given the top has gone as well its not safe to ride really.
    I had a Marin which I’d ridden offroad twice before being converted into my commuting bike developed the crack in the top of the headtube right in the centre. Never noticed until I stopped commuting and went the refurb the bike and the top cup basically fell out. Ooops!
    It shall remain in the garage roof as a trophy.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Unfortunately also found this ….

Is it just me that is amused by the use of the word ‘found’ – suggesting that that monstrous crack only came to light during a thorough inspection of the bicycle.

cookeaa

Body filler > Rattle can > ebay 😉

Sodajim

bigyinn if you were the original owner Marin’s had a life time warranty on all their frames. If you take it to a Marin dealer I’ve seen very old stuff replaced with new in the past without any problem.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like to keep riding this for reasons that most here will understand

Yeah but you can’t. It’s over.

Plenty of other good frames around.

kcal

Hardest part is facing the decision to say “good bye”.

I’m looking at finally ditching my 1998 M2, maybe in a couple of years I’ll actually get around to taking the action!!

ads678

Surely Duck tape is the answer!!

fasthaggis

Surely Duck tape is the answer!!

Two jubilee clips, top and bottom …sorted

🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Having once owned a Land Rover I would also be loathe to scrap that frame as it CAN be repaired. However the bearing seats will have stretched a tiny bit and will never be the same again, no matter how good the repair. Any maybe that’s a warning that something else is about to let go?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

This is the new headtube on my frame. It was split nearly as bad as yours, he removed the old broken one and put a new one on.

Frank The Welder here: http://www.frankthewelder.com/

If you are seriously attached to the frame, send it to him, it might not be worth it financially but it can be done if its the love of your life.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Is this head-tube crack fatal ?’ is closed to new replies.