• This topic has 29 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by tang.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • is this goodwill?
  • tang
    Free Member

got a pair of brake pads from a company (not avid) both sets failed on the first ride. contacted company, faulty batch so sent back for replacements. when i sent them back i also sent a letter explaining the failure and that since the order i had moved house and included the new details. weeks passed and said pads never arrived. apparently they got the faulty pads and sent new ones to the old address on the system. when i asked them to send them to the right address they said no and i should go round to my old house(miles away) and pick them up! i got a bit annoyed and again reiterated the fault is with them as i gave them all the info. now as a ‘goodwill’ gesture they will send 1 pair. should i insist on two pairs or take the goodwill?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s not worth wasting any time thinking about it. Forget about it and never buy from them ever again.

Moses

Have you asked the new residents of your old house to send them on?
    If not, why not? Too idle?
    Yes, accept the goodwill. It’s only a pair of pads, ffs

coffeeking
    Free Member

is this another superstar thread on the sly?

I’d say go and get your pads from your old house (or contact the new owners and get them to send them over), seems common sense to me even if it wasnt your fault.

druidh
    Free Member

Name and shame.

No – really. There’s been too much of this "bad batch" stuff going on. Seems like an excuse for poor quality. **** dangerous if you ask me. If it’s the cheapo stuff, then I guess that’s the risk you’re taking, but if this happening to the "better quality" stuff, I want to know who NOT to buy from.

sofatester
    Free Member

Come on, what company is it?

coffeeking
    Free Member

druid – it happens in all applications, even aerospace parts fail sometimes. I’ve had a set of EXPENSIVE car pads delaminate from the backing plate. With bike pads I’ve found that if I leave them wet after a ride they fail miserably on the next use, had a set of hopes and a set of magura go this way – hope replaced them, never tried with the mags.

BFITH
    Free Member

I think we probably know….Don’t we?

druidh
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

druid – it happens in all applications, even aerospace parts fail sometimes. I’ve had a set of EXPENSIVE car pads delaminate from the backing plate. With bike pads I’ve found that if I leave them wet after a ride they fail miserably on the next use, had a set of hopes and a set of magura go this way – hope replaced them, never tried with the mags.

Accepted – partially. Why the "bad batch" stories though. How big is this batch – why isn’t there a recall. If this was aerospace parts and a bad batch was found, they’d all be replaced before failure.

druidh
    Free Member

BFITH – Member

I think we probably know….Don’t we?

No – I don’t think we do. I’m not jumping to any unfounded assumptions.

BFITH
    Free Member

druidh – How very democratic of you…well done.

tang
    Free Member

this is not a superstar thread! the point is not its ‘only’ a pair of pads its customer relations. pads are cheap its not a frame or forks and little expense for them, ive been sold shitty pads and done everything politely. why should i drive 20 miles to my old house?

julianwilson
    Free Member

ooooh, "other discount parts suppliers not all that different from or better than SSC" shocker.

sofatester
    Free Member

ooooh, "other discount parts suppliers not all that different from or better than SSC" shocker.

Lets tell the Mail!

BFITH
    Free Member

Tang – absolutely, you shouldn’t have to. Call them right now and demand satisfaction!

coffeeking
    Free Member

You shouldnt HAVE to, but hell we could go on all day like this and you’ll be no better off. Obviously you’ve had a conversation with them to get the goodwill pads, and they refused then, so what are you going to do – go to the police? Trading standards? I dont think so. Or drive 20 miles and say hi to the old house? Maybe they concluded that, like Hope did with mine, you left your pads wet and thus they crumbled (we dont know the details) and so after sending out 2 sets that they were already biting their tongue about you requested another two sets cos you couldnt be arsed going to your old house when they made a mistake.

You ask if its good will or not on here, without naming them, and then get upset when people disagree, yet you wont name the company. You’re very odd!

druidh
    Free Member

julianwilson – Member

I don’t see the word "discount" in the OP….

chakaping
    Free Member

Name the company.

And it’s not goodwill, it’s just being mean, IMO.

Tell them to go round to your old house and get them.

rolfharris
    Free Member

The company has made a mistake. It’s on their head, the should sort it out properly. Argue tooth and nail. Or demand a refund and buy some proper pads.

coffeeking
    Free Member

These /were/ proper pads. Ask for a refund and buy some SSC pads, I’ve never had any fail 🙂

rolfharris
    Free Member

You’ll be one of the lucky few, but let’s not start this again.

BFITH
    Free Member

Oh…Go on…Lets start it up again…Pleeeeeeease!

scaredypants

"leaving them wet after a ride"… etc

???

what should we do, take em out & blow-dry ?
    I can’t think of any mistreatment I could give a set of pads that should result in delamination. I accept that it may happen occasionally through materials failure but don’t accept that there can be an argument that I might have caused it.

(because of the above, I’d call this replacement of faulty parts and so I say it’s the supplier’s responsibility to get the new pads to Tang)

Can someone please enlighten me ?
    Should we have to dry-off pads after a ride, or remove them while cleaning the bike, or anything else ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You’ll be one of the lucky few, but let’s not start this again

Despite knowing at least 10 set owners I know none who’ve failed! (tempting fate now!)

what should we do, take em out & blow-dry ?

I simply dry them off with a rag and make sure there’s no standing water on or around them and the caliper. If you look at the content of the pad material most appear to be at least partially ferrous materials – these rust and swell (and become a bad, shiny hard, braking surface) when theyre left wet.

I dont bother after a muddy ride, but if I’ve been puddle-paddling, stream crossing or lake swimming I do, just as I’d dry and clean the bearings in my BB and hubs and not moan about them either!

BFITH
    Free Member

I always remove mine (pads) after a wet ride and dry them with Kleenex supersoft tissues, leave them by the fire to warm up a bit then tuck them up in a little bed I made for them out of a matchbox and some cotton wool ….. 😀

scaredypants

if I’ve been puddle-paddling, stream crossing or lake swimming I do, just as I’d dry and clean the bearings in my BB and hubs

😯

must’ve been a fun summer round your house

coffeeking
    Free Member

must’ve been a fun summer round your house

Dont really see the issue, it only takes 30 seconds with a good microfibre rag? You dont have to remove them etc, just dont leave them lying in water!

Or are you suggesting puddle paddling/stream crossing/lake swimming is odd?

scaredypants

OK, I’m a bit better now I know that you’re drying & cleaning the seals rather than the bearings
    Why don’t you do the freehub? I’d have thought moisture would trap down there for much longer

puddles/streams/lakes – odd ?
    All I’m saying is you’re in with FBarnesy on that one :winkything:

coffeeking
    Free Member

🙂 Freehub is too much hassle to get off and seem to last long enough (I used to but got lazy!). I just learn from my mistakes and when im stung twice in a row I stop doing what hurts! fool me once….twice….n all that Bush talk (cant remember the mis-quote)!

Yup, I’m a bit anal when it comes to stripping and re-building/cleaning stuff. I enjoy it too much to be normal, but I’ve never suggested I was normal, at least not all of the time!

tang
    Free Member

thanks for all your input. i will take the goodwill pads. however if i had bought 1 pair would they have sent me 1 pad as a goodwill? also ive just rung a mate who lives nearer to my old house to go over and ask, they know nothing!
    ps 1 dry ride only on the pads

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘is this goodwill?’ is closed to new replies.