Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Is this going to be a warrenty?
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Just had a call from the LBS who had been tasked with fitting some new brakes for me (hope e4s). Turns out that the post mount holes on the frame are too close together meaning that neither the new caliper, not a brand new Xt one they had kicking about would fit.

As I bought the bike as a full build it obviously came with a caliper (SLX) that did fit, however it appears that this is perhaps only because of a happy coincidence with tolerances.

So am I justified to ask for a replacement frame, or will the response be ‘suck it up and use your old brakes which came with the bike and worked fine’?

Bike is a 2015 trance, bought in Jan 2016.

And if its a justifiable warrenty case, do I approach Giant direct?

scotroutes

Hmm.

It could easily be argued that the bike they sold you hasn’t failed and it’s not up to them regarding replacement components.

Are you sure the SLX caliper hasn’t been modified?

Another option would be to fit a bigger rotor and modify the adapter.

Actual warranty is probably best via the retailer you bought it from.

tpbiker
    Free Member

yeah thats kinda what I fear. But then again what would I be expected to do if the brakes which I bought the bike with broke, am I then expected to ditch the frame also?

Caliper doesn’t look modified to me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Assuming the LBS didn’t sell you it in the first place (or they’d already be on at Giant), you’d probably be best off speaking to the retailer initially.

Personally, I’d want to try it with a few different calipers myself at home so I was confident of the situation.

scotroutes

If it’s only a matter of a fraction of a mm tolerance then I’d modify the new caliper with a round file.

Personally, I’d want to try it with a few different calipers myself at home so I was confident of the situation.

Very much this. Not that I distrust other bike mechanics, obvs.. 🙄

pigyn
    Free Member

cheers for the support colin :p
    If the forum was easier to use I could even post the pictures showing it..

It’s only slight, but enough. A bit of filing on the caliper would sort it, less than a mil. But that’s not our place. And it shouldn’t be needed.

Both the new hope brake and a new XT are too far out, no idea what was fitted to it first and if it had been modified, or was just on the other side of tolerance.

Wasn’t this just like those ti on-ones 😀

5thElefant
    Free Member

2 minutes with a file will sort that.

scotroutes

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get the file out.

akira

File both ends a tiny bit, then forget all about it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Agree re filling it and would they not argue it got bent in use ?

conkers
    Free Member

Instead of filing the caliper you could file down the threads of the bolt from the bolt head down to the depth of the caliper. Place bolt through caliper so caliper is against bolt head as it is wound in. That would mean no filing of expensive caliper only a cheap bolt. There should be enough float to align caliper and the bolt will be just as strong as you should only remove as much material as the thread any way.

tjagain

I would be checking it very carefully and if it was out of tolerance I would be asking for a new frame.

Your contract is with the retailer no one else. Thats who you deal with

How good a case you have depends on how long you have had it and how out of tolerance it is. also how much hassle is it worth

spooky_b329

Incredibly wasteful to attempt to warranty a frame when the fix is so simple, just get on with it!

rOcKeTdOg

Good luck getting a straight forward warranty on an item thst has worked perfectly for nearly 3 years but then suddenly doesn’t when you change the part. Prepare to be a right royal pita to get them to offer you something

phunkmaster
    Free Member

if you don’t t want to file the calliper, upgrade to a 180mm disk and file the mount the calliper sits on. That way it’s only a £6 mount you’re filing. Admittedly, you have to shell out for disc and mount but at least if you want to sell your brakes they aren’t filled down even a little bit.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Ha.. I didn’t mention which lbs it was but as james has made an appearance.. It’s pedals in Edinburgh and I have absolutely no doubts they know what they are on about. Top guys and my first point of call for all mechanical issues.

I could probably drill/ file it, but as james said not sure I should to really.

If I’m brutally honest any warranty replacement would be sold anyway as I fancy a new frame, but can hardly sell as is.. Which is pushing me down warranty route. Not to mention that I’m not keen on taking a drill to my brand new hopes and devaluing them as well, they aren’t exactly cheap.

I thought after 2 years the warranty was with the manufacturer but will give the shop I bought it from a tinkle in the now and see what they say.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Frame is only 2 years old and used about 10 times.

I’m struggling to see how they would not expect you to have to replace a brake caliper during the realistic lifetime of the frame.. And I can’t without bodging

scotroutes

TBF, the calipers on my oldest bike were fitted from new and are now 9 years old 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

if you don’t t want to file the calliper, upgrade to a 180mm disk and file the mount the calliper sits on.

That’s certainly an option.. Still leaves me with a frame that will be far harder to sell but will at least let me ride it for now

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Not if you sell it with brakes

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I have one running Saints and have no issues. Do you have a 180mm post mount adaptor lying around in tool box or on a fork you could use to test it out? That would be cheapest option.

scotroutes

Too late now. He’s warned folk of the problem 😆

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not if you sell it with brakes

Ha.. Well I im an honest sort so I could not not mention that.

jamesoz

I would have thought this is the most straight forward of warranty jobs. Warrenties usually state something along the lines of ‘manufacturing error or fault’. That is clearly out of spec and a manufacturing error whereas a cracked frame could be argued as misuse or crash damage.

superstu
    Free Member

Frame is only 2 years old and used about 10 times.

I’m struggling to see how they would not expect you to have to replace a brake caliper during the realistic lifetime of the frame.. And I can’t without bodging
    If it’s only been used 10 times why does the calliper need replacing? Genuine question.

tpbiker
    Free Member

If it’s only been used 10 times why does the calliper need replacing? Genuine question

Because I’m a big tart and I fancied new brakes.. There was nothing wrong with the the old ones..

I’ve pretty muxh replaced everything on it other than frame and wheels

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think you should measure it properly first, to determine whether it is actually within the tolerance for the mount. Perhaps the calipers are out?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I try it with the front brake it came with when I get it back, but james already tried it with another caliper so does not sound like an issue with the brakes.

Anyone know the tolerances.. I have a digital measuring thingy

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

A quick google digs out this:

So the hole centres should be 74.17mm +-0.1mm apart.
    Another potential issue is if the holes aren’t drilled straight into the mount. The bolts need to be put half in without the caliper in place to see if they’re perpendicular to the face of the mount.
    If you want the hassle of warrantying it then it sounds like a reasonable claim. Bearing in mind though, the labour won’t be covered after this time and that’ll be as much as the caliper that you could file..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Could be tricky to get an accurate measurement, but it should be good enough to tell you if it’s out by over a mm.

Probs easiest to screw some bolts in to the mount; then measure outside to outside of the two bolt heads, inside to inside, bolt head diameter; then do the math.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

…or 74.2 +-0.1mm, depending on who you ask

P20

I changed some Avid brakes for hope on a bike with I.S mount. The Hope screamed like a banshee. The frame mounts weren’t square to each other, but because the Avid used an adapter to post mount, it was braced against the two mounts. No amount of facing would be able to take enough material out to balance it. The manufacturer declined to warranty it as there was a solution available, fit a post mount and adapter.

jamj1974

Sounds like it isn’t within tolerance to me. If an adaptor would fix permanently that would be ok with me but otherwise I would want a warranty.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Contacted the retailer and they said it definitely sounds like a warranty..

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Is this going to be a warrenty?’ is closed to new replies.