Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is this for real…? (car content)
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Looks rather nice… in a supercar sort of way

Photos obviously on the road, so prob not a clay / wood mock up… (photoshop / artists image?)

But are these jet engines for real???

Insurance quotes may be an issue

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Photos obviously on the road, so prob not a clay / wood mock up…

Have you heard of photoshop?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Plenty of info in the article they came from

rkk01
    Free Member

Plenty of info in the article they came from

I just googled images – didn’t read the article. But having read it, still no info on whether it is real or a mock up.

P20

In typical stw style i haven’t read the links. From memory wasn’t the jets to be used to power electric motors, like a mini power station?

wwaswas

Rover were doing turbojet cars in the 50’s and 60’s;

http://www.rover.org.nz/pages/jet/jet5.htm

Rio

wasn’t the jets to be used to power electric motors

According to Jaguar’s blurb it has electric motors driving all 4 wheels powered by a LiIon battery, and the turbines charge the batteries when necessary. Like a Prius but 780bhp and 0-60 in 3.4s so a bit faster off the line.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Even though they don’t directly propel the car, they look DAMN cool!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’d be a bit concerned if they were aspirated/exhausting into the cabin. And jet engines are awful at transient power situations, so ideally they’d be running relatively steady state charging batteries and driving some nice motors.

On further reading that’s exactly what they’re doing. Glad I make sense some of the time.

hora
    Free Member

It looks bland. Is that metallic beige as well? It looks like something a thousand design students could knock out on CAD/software.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Metalic beige? I think you need to set your monitor colour balance properly!

fadda

I want…

dooosuk
    Free Member

Before you get too excited, the only part of the new car likely to see the light of day is the front end, which heralds the new design treatment for future Jaguar production models. The rest is a stunning fantasy, created to celebrate Jaguar’s 75th anniversary, and hopefully to ‘steal the motor show’ that opens here in Paris tomorrow.

From http://pistonheads.co.uk/news/default.asp?storyId=22547

PeteG55
    Free Member

Well, its at the Paris motor show, but I suspect that its just another non-working concept car at the moment. Well it moves under its own steam though.
    http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/257647/968bhp_205mph_jaguar_cx75_supercar.html

Brother_Will
    Free Member

A jet powered electric supercar? the future is here 😀

Rio

Now if they could only make it fly as well.. 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

And it has a blown rear diffuser like todays F1 cars.

Pah, jet cars, tomorrows fish wrappers.

I’ve seen the future. It’s steam motorcycles.

singletrackmind

Is there not a BMW mini with a small diesel engine that powers an alternator only. It has 4 electric motors that drive the car, and generate electrickery under braking.

IIRC 150mpg was acheivable on a run starting with fully charged battery pack.
    Convert it to run on WVO / SVO and you could get like 2p a mile fuel costs

sweepy
    Free Member

There is a jet powered motorbike,here which is probably the coolest thing ive ever seen. Jay leno’s got one

molgrips
    Free Member

so ideally they’d be running relatively steady state charging batteries and driving some nice motors.

That sounds like an excellent use of gas turbines tbh. I hope they’re vented to the rear for a bit of extra boost, and have a button on the gearstick under a special cover that ignites the afterburners for special situations.

rkk01
    Free Member

I hope they’re vented to the rear for a bit of extra boost, and have a button on the gearstick under a special cover that ignites the afterburners for special situations.

You’ll be wanting to check out the rear view then…

tonyg2003

It’s a concept car. The batteries have been fitted but the Bladon turbines have only been run on test benches. Apparently using them a EV range extenders is a good app due to the constant output (70kW). The main problem is the exhuast heat temp.

Cool looking car.

I guess a low cc diesel would work just as well as a range extender but won’t be half as sexy.

CountZero

Warships have been using gas turbines for years, powerstations use them, and small turbojets for large model aircraft have been around for a while, even powered that bloke with the wing attached to his body, so using small turbines to generate power to run electric motors in a car sounds like a neat extension of the tech. It’d certainly sound cool when you wind the throttle open.

Kevevs
    Free Member

It’s real and I want one.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is this for real…? (car content)’ is closed to new replies.