• This topic has 25 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by fbk.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is this for real? Avid Elixir R sale on Merlin
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Avid Elixir R Disc Brake Set – £159 on merlin 😯

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Well, if Halfords can put them on a £999 bike I don't see why there's not good profit in them at that price.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_team.html

foxyrider
    Free Member

Seem to be bargins to be had on OEM stuff at the mo?

RobHilton
    Free Member

CRC had them for £135 a set a while back

foxyrider
    Free Member

ahh I see the 2011 are comming in 🙂

stumpy01

SOunds about right for Merlin deals! I got some Juicy 7's a few yrs back reduced from £270 to £135 from them.

Currently waiting on an order from CRC that is still processing from Wednesday. One of the bits has coincidentally (?) disappeared from the website, so I suspect is out of stock. I've e-mailed for an update but heard nowt.
    Why didn't I just get what I required from Merlin!?

I might e-mail CRC later to cancel the entire order and get it from Merlin instead.

glenh
    Free Member

I still wouldn't buy them for that price.
    In my experience avid brakes are badly made tat.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

+1

alexxx
    Free Member

Where did all the avid haters crop up from I've had mine since 06 and never had any problems, like 0 problems out in the alps each year since (4 weeks use constantly) and mega avalanche track ect… no worries at all!?

whats bad about them / what fails?

bobsoff2
    Free Member

Glenh/rockhopper…
    What a load of bollox you're spouting,
    As good if not better than most out there !! and at that price, you can't go wrong..!
    Juicys… now thats a different matter !

tony24
    Free Member

elixir R's on ebay for £150 a set brand new with rotors and adaptors. got mine off there and they are brilliant.

alpin
    Free Member

had a guy last week running Avid Elixirs on his Cannondale thingamajig.

the brakes locked up totally tot he point you couldn't turn or even remove the wheel without alomst excessive brute force.

we tried pushing the pistons back in…. pushing them out… cleaning them… but all to no avail.

the poor sod had to walk 500m down a mountain and then get a taxi to town. he ended up missing out on a superb (no really… absolutely superb) bit of trail because of his Avid brakes.

turns out that it's a common problem (says the main connodale dealer in Germany) and occurs when the temperature changes too rapidly. we were at 2300m and had decended about 600m before his brakes locked up.

problem was 'solved' the next day by opening the valve and letting out a little oil.

i wouldn't buy them.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

it doesn't matter what brand make or model of anything you pick, or whether its anything from tyre valves to rear shocks, they'll be someone crop up claiming them to be the worst things in the world!

br
    Free Member

Where did all the avid haters crop up from I've had mine since 06 and never had any problems, like 0 problems out in the alps each year since (4 weeks use constantly) and mega avalanche track ect… no worries at all!?

That works out at 16 weeks use, over 4 years…

Try running them constantly in the UK grime, you'd then have a different view.

bobsoff2
    Free Member

"Problem was solved by letting out a little oil"
    So they just needed bleeding properly !!!
    Not rocket science or any thing that doesn't need to be done on any other brand from time to time..

swavis

I've run Avids constantly in the UK grime for about 4 years and they've always been fine. Although they do squeal quite a bit since I've fitted some SSC pads, can't complain about the performance though.
    Horses for courses 🙄

foxyrider
    Free Member

Erm – I got juicy carbons – 07 – no problems and 2 mates have them – I wouldn't run them for DH – I got my M4's – on trail bike/XC Elixirs seem fine for me anyway?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've also run avids without problems.

The only negative, and its quite a big one, is the cost of the spares. its almost always cheaper to buy a new brake as they're always on offer somewhere.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup and 185 rotors – just gone one second hand from here but full price seems silly money 🙁

alexxx
    Free Member

erm br im obviously riding in the uk aswell i was just saying about more extreme use for a prolonged period.. dont suppose many avid haters go from a glacier to bone dry 35 degree's everyday for 2 weeks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

On-One are selling Magura Julies with 180/160mm rotors at £45 an end. And I know that's what my choice would be….

allthepies
    Free Member

Aren't they supposed to be a PITA to bleed ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

PP – thanks but no thanks – Dont think they'd be any better than juicy carbons 😯

fbk
    Free Member

Elixirs on my 223, Elixirs on my XC bike. Both raced, both been to the alps, both run regularly in the "UK grime"(TM?)

They're a little fiddly to bleed but, other than that, I ve been more than happy with them – finally waved good bye to arm pump after years of Mini/M4/Mono minis.

So ner 😉

foxyrider
    Free Member

Neil – yup avid bleed kit required unlike hopes but with hopes you have STILL got the hassle of fitting them with shimano levers – well XTR at least 🙂

Hmm the Mag and CR versions doo look nice 🙂 Maybe overkill for my XC bike though?

fbk
    Free Member

Nah – just stick with the 185/160 rotors and you'll be 1 finger braking all the way down 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is this for real? Avid Elixir R sale on Merlin’ is closed to new replies.