Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is this dent dangerous?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Is this dent in the seat tube going to affect structural integrity?

Cheers

Ricks

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Has the swingarm hit the seat tube?

rickon
    Free Member

Looks that way, its for sale, seller is a bike shop who says its not structural. My concern is that the seat tube is under compression when riding, so is more likely to fail than say a down tube.

creamegg
    Free Member

If it was my bike it wouldnt bother me, but i wouldnt buy it like that

Garry_Lager

Wouldn’t fancy that meself. Just based on the idea of my weighty aris being perched on top of a folded tube. I have no real idea of the forces involved, though.

bencooper
    Free Member

Looks like it’s got a bit if a crease at the bottom – also not in a brilliant location.

If it was mine I’d still ride it, but I’d want a decent discount if I was buying it. I’d also be wondering how that happened.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’d be wanting to know how they have managed to do it! Surely the shock should bottom out before the swing arm hits the seat tube?

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d want to see it in person but depending on the price I’d give it a go. I’m more concerned about the front of my bike going than the rear; forks snapping scares the shit out of me but the rear triangle going is less worrying. I’d keep an eye on it if I bought it if I were you though and I wouldn’t get it if it’s on a Giant Glory as opposed to, say, an Anthem

atlaz
    Free Member

My guess is that they stored it shock-less somewhere and dropped it or something like that.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t buy it. It could have a fair old whack if the pressure was run too low OR…the owner had landed a flat/blew through his suspension?!

My rule of thumb- if I did the damage I’d run a dent. If I didnt know how/who/circumstances and it wasn’t mine I wouldn’t buy

Saying that if it failed- it’d fail with pressure on the saddle (a climb) as opposed to a downtube dent etc.

wwaswas

I’d also be wondering how that happened.

me too. If they managed to do that with the shock still in the frame what else might have been damaged?

it’d fail with pressure on the saddle

like landing a jump badly or something?

Jamie
    Free Member

I’d also be wondering how that happened.

When a soft metal, and a hard object, love each other very much….

bigyinn
    Free Member

You may want to consider if it happened with the shock installed. It may be the shock has been swapped out for one with a shorter eye to eye length, or longer stroke than it was designed to take….

CalamityJames
    Free Member

This.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Down tube is under way more stress.

My guess is it would be ok but I wouldn’t pay much for it.

petefromearth

I had a dent in one of my frames, kept riding it for years, then discovered a crack had started there. It had grown to almost 1/3 the way round the tube. Would have been a serious face plant if I hadn’t found it!

Based on that I wouldn’t buy a dented framed, especially an aluminium one

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

If the shop say it’s not structural, ask them to put their moey where their mouth is and give you a warranty covering the damage. If it fails there you get your money back.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

is it a sticker?

this, why would you even consider buying a bike like that? There are so many mint bikes on the used market theyd have to be practically giving it away, or it to be some ultra rare bike you’ve always wanted to consider it (so, not a Giant).

crispycross
    Free Member

Let me get this straight. There’s a bloody great dent in the frame and the shop says it’s not structural? FFS! What makes them qualified to say that? Do they have a consulting engineer on hand?
    That is no small defect and it’s on the inside of a bent tube, in the middle of a highly loaded region. Just asking for the tube to buckle there. Walk away.

robdob
    Free Member

I would ride it if I had made the dent, but wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole if paying money for it!
    May be an odd thing to say but if you make the dent yourself you know the circumstances, the force applied etc so can make a decision based on that. Buying it from a shop means you don’t have that and you have no idea how long bike was ridden afterwards or how it was treated in general.
    For a sake of a few pounds I wouldn’t bother.

I think the bike shop, unless they are frame builders themselves, aren’t really placed well to say what they did.

nuke

£699 😯 😆

…JEJames were knocking them out for less than that brand new dent-free although they only now have the small left now…
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/giant-trance-x-29er-fr-mountain-bike-frame-id73964.html

thestabiliser
    Free Member

it’s not just a ding is it?

offer them £50

rickon
    Free Member

Damn those small people! Still, brand new 2014 ones are £1199, so it’s not a huge amount off the price if it’s buggered.

Their warranty covers everything but the seattube / toptube junction.

Buyer beware then, I guess.

hora
    Free Member

Their warranty covers everything but the seattube / toptube junction.

and what if you happened to fall off the bike, got up and noticed a crack(s) then went into the shop?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Following with the consensus assumption I’d also be wondering if it did any damage to the cross brace on the swing arm which appears to be the source of impact, the shock if mounted at the time is likely not good either and the bottom pivots are also really not intended to deal with the stress of introducing a sudden and rather immobile pivot into the system, certainly nit if it’s riding damage so under proper load.
    Done in a box before sale? (a) If the shop were me they’d be sending it back to giant for replacement as damage in transit. (b) if it’s fallen or what not in storage and done that much damage it should likely have done a lot more damage to as that’s really not an impact point on the frame so some other bit hit the ?ground? hard to move the suspension through that arc with enough momentum to dent the frame.

That they’re not sending it back and that’s the only damage says damaged in use to me. That or they had an unfortunate incident with a fork lift whilst it was in store.

In short I wouldn’t touch it.

gonzy
    Free Member

the OP should walk away from this

tonyd

I put a bigger dent than that in the downtube of my old Stumpy and rode it for years afterwards without issue so I wouldn’t be overly bothered by it.

As already mentioned though, there are plenty of very good second hand Giant frames (am looking for a medium Anthem X if anyone has one) around for not much money so unless the shop was selling it for beans with a decent warranty I wouldn’t bother.

rickon
    Free Member

I put a bigger dent than that in the downtube

Yes, but that’s under expansion when you’re riding, not compression – so it’s much less likely to fail.

windydave13
    Free Member

Surely you don’t ride anything techy enough to ever stress it that much!! 😆

Remember no excuses next time we ride GT!!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t buy anything that had a ding in it. Why take a chance when there are plenty of frames out there unscathed.

rickon
    Free Member

Bloody Windydave! You’re not a rider anymore, you’re a long distance runner. Judas.

windydave13
    Free Member

At least i can ride run off small bridges without clown wheels?? 😆

lyntonsmith
    Free Member

Dont all your bikes have dents from the amount of time they spend lying down being “fixed”

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is this dent dangerous?’ is closed to new replies.