• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is this another crack?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I seem to have possibly bad luck and attract cracks recently.

I bought a 5-spot frame from a forum member today, and it may be perfectly fine, there appears to be what looks like a crack in the weld on the taco, it’s minute, and I didn’t see it when inspecting it first, but I wanted to get some opinions on this….

It’s on the weld – so very left of of first picture.

Cheers

Ricks

andyl
    Free Member

looks pretty crack-like to me

druidh
    Free Member

Looks like a crack going round part of the seat tube and down part of the weld. Or is the line on the seat tube something else?

Possible cause: not enough seatpost in seat tube

andyl
    Free Member

that line looks more like someone has scratched it with something sharp as it looks raised up. Looking at the marks on the seat tube has the frame been stripped?

rickon
    Free Member

It’s a raw frame, the line looks like a scratch, rather than a radiated crack.

Poop. I’ll have to have a word with the seller, he was a really nice chap, so see what he says. I just didn’t see it when first inspecting it, it’s tiny, so easy to miss.

rickon
    Free Member

No that’s good service from a forum member 🙂

Just had a call from the seller in reply to my email – all tip top, and another seller on my list of trusted STW’ers.

Sanny
    Free Member

Rickon

The crack looks similar to one I found the other night on my DW 5 Spot. 🙁

Mine is on the bottom part of the taco weld where it joins the top tube on the non drive side.

There is a tiny crack on the other weld on the drive side. You might want to check the other side too.

I’ve dealt with Greg at Turner over problems I’ve been having with bushings wearing out quickly. He’s great to deal with so I’m hoping he’ll be able to help me out with my now broken frame.

If you look at the new design, they’ve changed from a taco to a burrito design to help increase the strength.

Hey ho. Bikes break. I just wished mine lasted a bit longer before they did! Ha! Ha!

Cheers

Sanny

wwaswas

they’ve changed from a taco to a burrito design

I can’t help think that an Apple Turnover would have been a better choice.

supercyril
    Free Member

Take it to your local welders shop. Ask them to dye pen test it. It will take 10 mins, then you will know or sure.

EhWhoMe

I had one exactly like that on the top of the weld, tiny just like that..and on a turner aswell at the shock mount down the seat tube BB area.

Turner said it was just a cold weld “no idea what that is” and it will be no problem as it will just be the very surface of the weld itself where its cooled a bit quick , however they said if i wanted it replaced i could have a new one.. mine was four months old when i noticed it..so i took the new front end just in case..

I have had other dealings direct with Greg who is superb ..

Good luck ….

iainc

another broken one Sanny ! jeez 😥

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

No, definately a lamp.

LoCo
    Free Member

Blimey Ricks! It’s not like you’re super Gnar or anything 😆 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is this another crack?’ is closed to new replies.