• This topic has 110 replies, 69 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)
  • Is this an acceptable reason for absence from primary school
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve asked for a leave of absence so I can take my four year old to see the TDF finish in London on July 7th. It’s been denied.

My case was built around the importance of cycling to the family, the desire to promote sport to my son (he is really keen and we’ve done a few 4 mile rides together already) and the rarity of the event.

What with the obesity crisis in our children at the moment I thought the head teacher would understand the importance of promoting sport but she doesn’t see it that way.

What do other people think?

edlong
    Free Member

While I have every sympathy, I think it’s fair enough. If they set a precedent that sporting events are a valid reason for absence, you might end up with half empty classrooms every time there’s a test match, Ascot, international footy…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

A couple of days for that seem reasonable. Take your kid anyway, or will that result in a fine?

wwaswas

a fortnight’s skiing might be argued to be something you’re doing in the war against obesity. For most people it’s a jolly.

sbob
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

I’ve asked for a leave of absence

When you should have just pulled a sicky.
    Lesson learnt for next time, though I do side with the school.

geetee1972
    Free Member

It’s a day I’m talking about. Not a fortnight plus you can go skiing outside of term time whereas the TDF only finishes in London on that particular day (and it’s only been to the UK twice before in 100 years!)

GrahamS

Seems a little bit heavy handed – I’m not sure a four year old is missing anything that will come up in his A levels 😀

(My daughter is four – mostly she seems to spend her time gluing sparkly paper to various bits of recycling which she then brings them home as “art”)

thepurist

What’s the comeback from the school if you JFDI?

wwaswas

It’s a day I’m talking about. Not a fortnight!

I think the point I was making is that *everyone* thinks that their reason for absence is the exception.

Schools just have to say ‘no’ to pretty much everything now bar a close relative dying – it’s not really the governors or headteachers fault (unless it’s a free school/academy) – LA’s and central government make the rules.

vinnyeh

Within the context of the rules, it’s not an acceptable reason. I assume you know this, and are mildly bored. 🙂

In the real world, I twice took mine out of school for a week when I went riding in the Alps, but that was before the fines became prohibitive.

Rules are a bit silly, but they’re there to protect kids- unlikely to be yours, but its there for the good of a few.

aracer
    Free Member

As mentioned by edlong, exactly the same case could be made for going to watch any footy/rugby etc. match

tomhoward

LA’s and central government make the rules.

But they are applied at the heads discretion.

Be wierd if Geetee jr got a dose the night before wouldn’t it?

Plus, at 4, is he legally obliged to be there? (thought school age was 5+, happy to be corrected…)

geetee1972
    Free Member

As mentioned by edlong, exactly the same case could be made for going to watch any footy/rugby etc. match

Sure and if the TDF finished several times a week in London, including the weekend, I would just bloody well take him then. Bit it bloody doesn’t! That’s why I think it’s ‘exceptional’, like the Olympics.

I do wonder what the schools would have done with requests for taking kids to the Olympics had it been on during term time. I bet they wouldn’t have refused that in the spirit of the ‘Olympic Legacy’.

And no I don’t know the rules but yes I am bored today.

project
    Free Member

it will be on the tv, better coverage than being there, and cheaper, some kid wanted time off to go to his mums wedding and that got refused.

You decide which rules you want to disobey, and the school will decide which rules they will enforce to be petty.

nemesis
    Free Member

We took our son out of school for a week’s holiday when he was 4. Given that he didn’t legally have to be at school, there was nothing they could do about it though they did officially refuse our request. They also unofficially said they couldn’t see any issue with it given that he was doing well at school. Unless the rules have changed then that will be the case for the OP’s son.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think everyone bar tom is missing the key point here.
    He’s only 4 years old

the-muffin-man

I thought the head teacher would understand the importance of promoting sport me not missing my favourite sport but she doesn’t see it that way.

^FTFY

martinhutch

But they are applied at the heads discretion.

Heads are no longer trusted to have discretion for er..discretionary leave…put simply, it was always going to be refused.

To the OP: Go and take him to see it in Yorkshire. Proper hills, and at t’weekend too.

GrahamS

..some kid wanted time off to go to his mums wedding and that got refused.

Except if you read the details of that story it transpired that his parents only gave the school five days notice and didn’t actually mention that it was a wedding.

Still. Good headline.

legend
    Free Member

thegeneralist – Member
    I think everyone bar tom is missing the key point here.
    He’s only 4 years old

so won’t give a shit about the tdf

russianbob
    Free Member

Let’s throw this grenade into the room and retreat…..

What would your response be if your son’s teacher approached you and informed you that he/she wouldn’t be available on a given day because he/she was going to attend the stage 3 finish of the Tour de France?

Assuming you didn’t want the day off anyway.

Exceptional circumstances?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No (sadly) imagine giving up lessons because the WC footie is on!

eskay

But it is ok for the kids to lose a day when the teachers strike.

legend
    Free Member

duh, nobody that watches footy is fat!

tomhoward

*makes note to keep an eye out in 20 years time for a brit TDF winner saying how he first got into cycling aged 4 after his dad took him to the london finish, despite school saying he couldn’t go*

OP, What’s the lads name, I feel a bet coming on, much like Chris Kirkland’s dad did a few years ago (bet his lad would play for England, won £10k.) It’s a sign!

project
    Free Member

Let’s throw this grenade into the room and retreat…..

What would your response be if your son’s teacher approached you and informed you that he/she wouldn’t be available on a given day because he/she was going to attend the stage 3 finish of the Tour de France?STRIKE, HAVE A TRAINING DAY, SNOW ON THE GROUND, HEATING NOT WORKING, NO HOT WATER,ETC ETC

Exceptional circumstances?

the-muffin-man

Biscuit anyone…?

tomhoward

[internet bore] a jaffa cake isn’t a biscuit [/internet bore]

johndoh
    Free Member

Plus, at 4, is he legally obliged to be there?

This – no legal requirement for him to be in school so you can do what you want.

jamj1974

Rules are a bit silly, but they’re there to protect kids- unlikely to be yours, but its there for the good of a few.

Rules are a bit silly massive knee-jerk overreaction, but they’re there to protect kids penalise those parents who are unlikely to let their children miss school through persistent truancy and believe that as responsible parents are best able to assess the likely impact on their own child of planned absencebut its there for the good of a fewrather than targeting and doing something about the real problem parents because that would require real socio-cultural change which is bloody hard.

jamj1974

I may have provided a bit of grist deserving of the biscuits…

russianbob
    Free Member

[quoteLet’s throw this grenade into the room and retreat…..

What would your response be if your son’s teacher approached you and informed you that he/she wouldn’t be available on a given day because he/she was going to attend the stage 3 finish of the Tour de France?STRIKE, HAVE A TRAINING DAY, SNOW ON THE GROUND, HEATING NOT WORKING, NO HOT WATER,ETC ETC

Exceptional circumstances?[/quote] EXACTLY

alpinestar
    Free Member

tell them hes going to the world cup with an headmaster. they wont have a leg to stand on then. see todays paper if this is unclear.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I had a feeling this post might provoke debate.

Legally at four he is not required to be in school but the DFE website says that if you do have a child enrolled at this age, parents need to abide by the rules. That and who wants to pick a grudge with the people responsible for your kids schooling?

Oh and taking him or not taking him has no impact on whether I get to go or not.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

why oh why do stupid people keep trying to equate kids missing a day of school and teachers missing a day of school?

The teacher should be there because they are paid to do a job. It’s quite simple.

johndoh
    Free Member

if you do have a child enrolled at this age, parents need to abide by the rules

The rule that children over the age of 5 need to be in school? So how does that work then?

julians
    Free Member

just go anyway, and if you get a fine , pay up.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You should be applauded for trying to do the right thing, but for the sake of a day and no hassle sickie is where its at.
    BTW I learned the hard way that trying to do the right thing never works in your favour. Weekend job, wanted to go to a gig, asked EVERYONE if they would cover my shift, all said no, lied to boss and said I had an exam on the Saturday of the gig, another colleague grassed me up and I got the sack. Bastards.

40mpg

Still. Good headline.

I wish people would stop harpoing on about fines, and perhaps not take press headlines for granted 🙄 I mean you don’t for anything else, do you?

Most heads will decline an absence request unless its for absolutely clear cut necessity. Otherwise they could get embroiled in all sorts of ‘discrimination’ issues.

And you won’t get fined.

To administer a fine, the school needs to prove regular unauthorised absences, then take this to the local authority to administer. The whole process is very tedious and time consuming, and even with LA backing very difficult to make stick. You really need to be a very, very bad parent to get stuck with this.

Please stop reading the Daily Mail and get over it

Grrrr

eskay

I think the stupid people are saying that a day missed through going to the tdf is no different to a day missed due to a strike. If they say a day off is detrimental then a day off is detrimental.

Or am I stupid?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Is this an acceptable reason for absence from primary school’ is closed to new replies.