• This topic has 48 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by chip.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Is this a warranty case?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

This tyre has done about 6 miles. I got the bike Thursday, rode it first time last night and flatted! I was riding around south Manchester, so not hilly and no rocks, tyre pressure was set at 25psi. I actually thought it was tubeless, but it turns out there was indeed a tube inside it. However on inspection of the tyre, I see these holes! What do you think?

cynic-al
    Free Member

25psi is pretty low, you could easily have done those in town. User error IMO, not that it can be proved either way.

This is on a new bike/wheel yes?

stoffel
    Free Member

No chance. That’s damaged by something sharp/jagged/pinty stabbing into it. Could have been damaged in the shop you bought it from, but surely you’d have seen the holes when putting it on? Warranty is for defective manufaturing, not other damage. The only way you might have a case is if other tyres on other bikes are like that, indicating a issue with the factory tyre fitting machine, if they use one. And if a bike shop let a new bike with a tyre in that condition go out of theirshop, they desrve to go bust. But I’m going for damage caused on ride, personaly.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Oh 100% percent. Clearly a manufacturing defect.
    In fact i would demand they replace the whole bike with the next model up.
    Bugger. Too slow

crankrider
    Free Member

Tat type of tyre should be able to take low pressures though – it is a crossroc.

Its either been poorly fitted, or you scuffed something sharp and punctured it, depends on the shop but I imagine many would say punctures are not covered under warranty…

edward2000
    Free Member

These marks occur all along the tyre at regular intervals, on both sides, so I don’t believe they were caused by something sharp as the damage is too repetitive. I didn’t buy the tyre separately, it came with the wheel/bike. 25 psi may be low, but not for a tubeless which I we’re let to believe they were.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i imagine they damaged it putting it on or removing it but I have no idea how you will prove it so ask and then move on.

martinhutch

Is the wheel set up tubeless – tape and valve? I presume not, given there is a tube in it!

It could be that a bit of latex will sort the holes in the tyre, and TBH, if it was sold as TL ready, then it should be set up tubeless for you ready to ride.

edward2000
    Free Member

The bike is this http://www.stantonbikes.com/content/slackline-631-available-now

The wheels are advertised as tubeless and it transpires they are not! I think that’s the biggest gripe I have now come to think of it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Do you mean you expected to receive them setup as tubeless?

martinhutch

The wheels and tyres shown there are potentially tubeless – ie they are suitable for tubeless applications. Doesn’t say they will be supplied already set up with a tyre mounted tubeless (unless you were told differently by someone).

Still worth setting them up with a rim strip and valve and seeing if a bit of Stan’s fluid will seal those holes and get them going.

edward2000
    Free Member

Martin the advert says

Mavic Crosroc tubeless wheel and tyre combo

ie, comes without a tube, tube less. this is not the case, the advert it wrong.

Jamie
    Free Member

the advert it wrong.

Not really, as it is a tubeless wheel and tyre combo.

Just hasn’t been set up.

ninfan
    Free Member

IIRC, the Crossroc is delivered with tubeless strips and valves

Damage there doesn’t look much like factory to me, but the moulding does look a bit rough, so wouldn’t rule it out 100% if they had seen other similar problems (?)

you could email gbcustomer.services@mavic.com with pics and ask for an MSC opinion

martinhutch

It would possibly have been better to call it a ‘tubeless-ready wheel and tyre combo’, to remove all chance of misinterpretation. You clearly thought it was going to arrive with latex fluid sloshing around in the wheels.

My reading of that was slightly different.

Going back to the original tyre damage, can’t see exactly from the picture, but have those scrapes damaged the bead in each location?

Junkyard
    Free Member

If i read that i would expect a tubeless set up not the potential to be tubeless

Ditto if i read 20 gears I would expect 20 gears not the potential to be 20 gears if I made it so.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TBF I’d expect it to be set up tubeless.

However tubeless tyres can’t just be run at any pressure you like without damage – if these had been set up tubeless you’d have similar or possibly worse damage.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

25psi in tubeless mtb tyres is fine and shouldn’t cause damage. The wheels should have been provided tubeless. Some of the replies above are typical stw!

I’d definitely try Mavic, it’s not damage from something sharp on the road if it’s both sides at regular intervals, unless you rode hard over a set of closely spaced sharp things! (are you 20 stone and smashed into a set of steps?). Perhaps your pump guage is wrong and they were sitting at 15psi or something?

Jamie
    Free Member

The wheels should have been provided tubeless. Some of the replies above are typical stw!

Not sure what that means, but I honestly thought the description would mean they were ready to be setup as tubeless. As in, if I got them and they had a tube in, then fair enough. General consensus suggests I am wrong in this assumption, so I gladly accepted my wrongness….in both this matter and life 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    25psi in tubeless mtb tyres is fine and shouldn’t cause damage

How else was the damage caused? I’m only 80kg and I’ve had flats running tubeless under 30psi. PLease don’t tell me it’s my lack of skills.

it’s not damage from something sharp on the road if it’s both sides at regular intervals, unless you rode hard over a set of closely spaced sharp things! (are you 20 stone and smashed into a set of steps?)

He’s ridden 6 miles. Perhaps the damage was caused by a number of impacts over those 6 miles rather than in one incident (why on earth do you assume the latter in any case?)

Weight definitely a potential factor.

martinhutch

Can I share your wrongness, Jamie? 🙂

Perhaps my expectations of what mail-order bike suppliers will do is waaay too low…I’d have been happy with just a rim strip fixed and valve supplied.

edward2000
    Free Member

Wait a minute, so some people think that if a wheelset was described as tubeless, they would expect it come with a tube? Seriously? How would you describe a wheelset which doesn’t come with a tube?

If I told my friend my wheels were tubeless, I would think they would be utterly moronic if they then followed up my statement by asking me if there was a tube inside my tyre!

martinhutch

Probably best to go and have a rant at Stanton at this point rather than using your energy on forum randoms. Let us know how it goes, I’m genuinely interested.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wait a minute, so some people think that if a wheelset was described as tubeless, they would expect it come with a tube? Seriously? How would you describe a wheelset which doesn’t come with a tube?

Well, even Mavic describe it thus:

…but, as per Martin. Better to raise your concerns with Stanton, or whoever you got the bike from.

Your sincerely, Moron.

dirtydog
    Free Member

The marks around the tyrewall have been caused by low tyre pressure.

I’ve seen it before on non tubeless tyres that have been run at very low pressures, it’s easy to reproduce and is caused by the tyrewalls “creasing” as the wheel rotates.

Is there a minimum pressure printed on the sidewall, if not take them back?

edward2000
    Free Member

Jamie your post is so misleading. You haven’t read my posts throughtly obviously. The link which I supplied earlier, the advert which I read, describes the tyres as

. NOT what the Mavic wheel website says.

I think you owe me an apology.

robdee
    Free Member

In fairness to Stanton, they supplied tubeless wheels/tyres as specced, they just gave you tubes as a bonus.

dirtydog
    Free Member

edward2000 – Member

Jamie your post is so misleading. You haven’t read my posts throughtly obviously. The link which I supplied earlier, the advert which I read, describes the tyres as

. NOT what the Mavic wheel website says.

Get over it and move on…

It makes no difference what the website says, that damage was caused by low pressures and the tyrewalls “creasing” up. Speak to Retailer/Mavic.

edward2000
    Free Member

Minus the values, tape and sealant.

wwaswas

Those sidewall marks are the same as I got running tubed tyres at too low a pressure.

ninfan
    Free Member

Edward 2000 – you don’t get sealant, people have already commented that the wheels are shipped with a sealed pack with valves and tape, along with the tubes fitted as you’ve received – you’re kicking off because the sealed pack is missing, which is unfortunate but obviously a minor mistake that could have happened at stanton or the retailer, and does not deserve the fuss you’re making without having spoken to them about it first, in fact I think the way you have handled this is very unfair on stanton.

in fact your whole approach to it, and others here who have tried to advise you perfectly reasonably, makes me suspect that the ‘smashed into a set of steps’ or kerb is an accurate scenario.

apologies for saying it like I see it.

honourablegeorge

robdee – Member
    In fairness to Stanton, they supplied tubeless wheels/tyres as specced, they just gave you tubes as a bonus.

Depends – if I had bought tubeless/tubeless ready/whatever wheels, and received tubes instead of tubeless valves – meaning I had to go and buy valves for them – I’d be annoyed.

chestrockwell

Is there a minimum pressure printed on the sidewall, if not take them back?

This. I don’t think I’ve had a set of tyres that quote the pressure range to go as low as 25 psi. Pretty sure my current Specialized ones say 35-50 psi. If they do quote a pressure range and you are outside it then it’s your own fault imo.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

25psi in tubeless mtb tyres is fine and shouldn’t cause damage

Tubeless tyres aren’t magic. You run low pressures in them and hit something hard it will damage your tyre and rim as per the pictures above. The advantage you have is that you might not get a pinch flat.

bonchance
    Free Member

Well.. I reckon those regular marks are caused by it being damaged/scraped when it was stored folded.

on the folded ends, scraped along a floor or a wall, when the bead was flattened and exposed. Probably ziptied flat in packaging.

Conti’s come in a box, don’t think Mavic do..

mattsccm
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing to say that they will be delivered tubeless. Implications are nothing.
    That aside those tyres have been damaged. They won’t have come from the shop like that, the purchaser would have seen that. You did have a quick look around the bike didn’t you? Mail order? Cannot imagine that anyone would check a bike for transit damage so on this issue I reckon that’s the owners problem. Thre may have been pre or in transit damage but there is no proof. Write that one off as failure to accept the bike properly.
    You may get some come back but on both issues I reckon to be fair it will be excessive good will not obligation.

br
    Free Member

AFAIK most bikes come with tubes, even though they may be tubeless ready – this is because tubes will stay up will in the box/shop/warehouse etc; whereas tubeless often won’t.

gamo
    Free Member

Does look like damage caused by low pressure in the tyres!

Jamie
    Free Member

I think Beyonce should go out with me.

Sadly, in the case of the latter, neither are of these things are going to happen.

Northwind

edward2000 – Member

I wouldn’t expect any new bike to come with tubeless as standard- not everyone likes tubeless. Saying that a wheel is tubeless and a tyre is tubeless doesn’t imply that they’re set up tubeless- means 2 different things.

Back to the OP, usually I’d just say that’s tyres that have been mangled against rocks. But in such a short span, you’d have to work pretty hard to do so much damage so I think you can’t rule out defects. But I do think it’ll be impossible to prove anything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Is this a warranty case?’ is closed to new replies.