Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Is this a sticker? You could park your bike in that, content.
  • kayak23

Further to my other thread about truing a bent rim, I’ve now noticed this joint gap. Will I die?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jo2m34]Spank Spike Enduro 28 rim joint[/url] by olrenison, on Flickr

Now clearly it is a sticker, but is it normal to have such a gap at the rim joint?

The rim is fully de-tensioned now but I’ve been using it weekly albeit with a big buckle.

I had started to notice a clicking which I had thought might have been spoke tension related. Is it likely to be this joint?

You can move it very, very slightly by pulling and pushing but I’m not sure whether that’s the nature of this type of wheel joint or not. Pinned not welded.

Thoughts?

I’m having a lot of trouble sourcing a like for like rim as it’s a 28 hole and Spank don’t seem to have any now. 😕
    I COULD get another make rim I suppose, but then it means new spokes probably and they’re weird straight pull ones too.

stevied
    Free Member

I’m having a lot of trouble sourcing a like for like rim as it’s a 28 hole

DT Swiss do a lot of 28h Enduro™ rims

kayak23

Aye, but as I say, it probably means new spokes then too.

Would be lovely to just do a rim swap, and I like these wheels.

They’ve been bombproof…until I broke them.

wwaswas

You can move it very, very slightly by pulling and pushing but I’m not sure whether that’s the nature of this type of wheel joint or not

I suspect it’s not designed to be able to be partially disassembled by being pulled a bit.

On this occasion – yes you will die, stop riding it.

Bite the bullet, get a new rim and some spokes if needed or just a new wheel.

steve_b77
    Free Member

28 hole ‘nduro rims, now I’ve heard everything 😆

yeah it’s borked, get a new wheel

stevied
    Free Member

What size rim? I may have a 26″ 28h EX471 I may be moving on in a couple of weeks..

the00
    Free Member

And make sure that your new rim has a welded joint – they are so much better.

kayak23

28 hole ‘nduro rims, now I’ve heard everything

Yeah I know, 28 hole Enduro rims seems a bit wrong, but to be fair they’ve taken over a year of abuse on my PP Shan hardtail down every kind of #gnarcore.
    The front one is still like new.

I’ve just ridden a few more rocky places recently, hence the big dings the rear has been taking.
    😥

stevied – Member
    What size rim? I may have a 26″ 28h EX471 I may be moving on in a couple of weeks..

Cheers Stevied, but they are the come alive size(27.5)

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

You might be able to still get a bargain replacement Spank wheelset on Amazon.

nedrapier

Easton Heist wheelsets were for maxrad endurocore style riding, and they were all 28h.

Rims were easton Arc, now Race Face Arc. Supposed to be decent enough.

mintimperial

Given the physics of how wheels work (everything pulling inwards), that’d actually probably be fine. I seem to recall that Gerd Schraner talks about this in The Art Of Wheelbuilding – you could theoretically cut your rim up in to 28 (or 32/36/whatever) separate bits and then put it back together. The tension of the spokes would hold it all up perfectly, and the wheel would still be strong enough to ride safely (provided the cuts were infinitesimally small, dead square, and you managed to actually build the thing somehow, etc).

Personally and practically speaking, though, I’d not ride that, not very far anyway – if nothing else I doubt my life insurance would pay out if something did go wrong after posting that pic up online, sound physics and engineering principles or no. Rim swap time…

It doesn’t need to be the same rim, just find one with a close-enough ERD (plus/minus 1mm should be ok).

pictonroad

28 hole ‘nduro rims, now I’ve heard everything

Specialized Enduro has 24 hole rims…

nedrapier

mint – Paul Musson talks about doing this in his book. 8 sections, tensioned up. wasn’t brave enough to ride it, I don’t think, but he couldn’t pull it apart with his hands

breninbeener

Was it a wheelset thst came with your PP Shan? If so, have you spoken to PP to see if they have any spares/ex demo/unloved rears around?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If the insert is still in there and visible/accessible you could slacken off the spokes a bit more, open up the gap, degrease, dry and then epoxy it back into place (a nice runny one so you can get it right into the gap).
    Then close up the gap i.e. start tensioning up a bit. Or use a ratchet strap. Then let it cure and tidy it up.

A lot of rims are held together like that.

Some just punch 4 or 6 dents into the rim bed to grip the insert. Others weld.

All methods should work long term, depending on how knackered the rest of the rim/wheel is.

I’ve glued a clicking/moving insert back into place on a cheap wheel, the wheel is still in use several years later. (Though the wheel was all but brand new and completely true/round, no dents)

kayak23

breninbeener – Member
    Was it a wheelset thst came with your PP Shan?

No, bought separately unfortunately.

If the insert is still in there and visible/accessible you could slacken off the spokes a bit more, open up the gap, degrease, dry and then epoxy it back into place

Not a bad shout, though I wonder, what with the big wobble etc whether I’m better off calling time on it anyway.

Contacted crc who don’t have anything and can’t do a special order seemingly.
    Contacted Hotlines but no reply as yet.

It doesn’t need to be the same rim, just find one with a close-enough ERD (plus/minus 1mm should be ok).

Looked for other 28h rims with similar ERD (553mm) but drawn a blank sadly.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

How much are spokes going to realistically add?
    They aren’t anything flashy, so only €0.5 each for standard DBs. (or €0.4 for straight gauge)

wwaswas

Contacted crc who don’t have anything and can’t do a special order seemingly.
    Contacted Hotlines but no reply as yet.

Pretty much the same thing (I’m sure Wiggle got hotlines when they bought CRC?) so I wouldn’t expect a radically different answer.

kayak23

Hotlines don’t have anything, a shop in Germany(I think) has the Oozy rims which have an ERD within 2mm of the Enduros in stock but only in red(mine is black)

Spank themselves were very helpful, explaining they’d stopped making the rim in 2015. They contacted dealers in Europe and the U.S. and finally said that they could send me a replacement directly from the factory in Taiwan including shipping for around £75.

I decided to cut my losses and have now ordered a Hope Tech Enduro rear wheel.

Anyone want to buy a Spank Enduro wheel? Mint condition, one careful owner…
    😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

As ghostly says above, just araldite is back together and bungee cord/ratchet strap it together while it cures.

I did this on a cracked rim that I commuted on for 6-7 years. It was fine.

kayak23

It’s not so much the gap alone, it’s that and the big flat spot and wobble together!

I’ve ordered a Hope Hoop.
    Will fix/change the rim when I get around to it. 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

They’ve been bombproof…until I broke them

So not very bomb proof, then…

kayak23

No, tongue was in cheek.
    However, they’ve stood up to over a year of hardtail gnarcore enduroist assault until this one nasty day of rock battering.
    No wheel is entirely bombproof.. 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

Anyone want to buy a Spank Enduro wheel? Mint condition, one careful owner…

By ‘Mint condition’, do you mean ‘It’s got a hole in it’? 😉

kayak23

😆

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Is this a sticker? You could park your bike in that, content.’ is closed to new replies.