Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is this a stcker?
  • theboatman
    Free Member

I’m guessing not, since it appears to go right through to the threads. Judging by how I found it, it has been there a reasonable amount of time, and it dosen’t seem to expand or contract when the bolt is inserted or removed. But I’m guessing it’s probably not a good thing to try and ignore. Would the bottom mount take more force than the top one?

MarkN
    Free Member

Not a sticker IMHO I am afraid. Not sure how the forces will load caliper. I reckon you should be able to get that fixed with a bit of a weld. Worth taking to someone who can weld to get an opinion.

bigrich

it’s threaded in such a way you can get a really long bolt into the bottom post, which should be more secure. but yeah, that’s a crack.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about it, the braking force in that arrangement pushes the caliper against the posts anyway and there are no bending forces involved.

Just keep an eye on it.

theboatman
    Free Member

Might have a go at the longer bolt and keeping an eye on it, as said it looked like it has been there a while.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Be careful with the longer bolt, we dont want the next thread of yours to be titled: ‘stripped threads’

mountainman

How about loctite on threads quite heavly applied ?
    Or liquid metal from auto factors ?

theboatman
    Free Member

Cheers dutch, I’ve had the bolt in and out a few times to see if the crack was expanding or not when fitted, and was pretty gentle on it and the threads seem ok and still gripping fine. Will go a bit gingerly with a longer bolt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is this a stcker?’ is closed to new replies.