Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is this a mad idea, 4x frame for xc?
  • muckytee
    Free Member

I currently have a Genesis Core 40 that I haven’t been riding for a few months, I have put 711mm bars and a 50mm stem on it.

Most of my riding is having fun in my local woods or the moors, for a good few hours and catching some air when I can.

So been thinking; what if I sell my core 40 and build up a Nukeproof Snap frame, I take it that the snap frame would have better acceleration and be easier to throw about due to its size, also be more resistant to hits (jumps and crashes)

Is this a good idea? Wanting to put either 120 or 100 mm on the snap – I have 120 mm now. I am also 6.1ft tall

Or any other suggestions? I just feel a bit stretched out on the core 40 and reckon that one day I will snap the frame on it :\

meehaja
    Free Member

I rode an Azonic DS2 for XC. It was a bit small (13inch frame, 6″1 rider) but was awesome for playing in the woods/downhills/tearing up singletrack. It was a bit of a chore on road sections/uphills but TBH, so was my patriot that I got afterwards. Horses for courses. If I could build up another MTB it’d be a 4x type bike, for pure ragging superbity.

russjp
    Free Member

Go for it. I use a Kona bass slopestyle as my do it all bike, I regularly use it for 2-3 hour xc rides and have loads of fun on any jumps and drops at the same time. Only problem I can see is seat post length, but that will depend on how tall you are

nwill1
    Free Member

I ride a blender 4x (see shots &vids in pinkbike profile @ http://will4x.pinkbike.com/)

It’s isnt an idea xc bike……but anything else is just Sooo much fun so for someone who is not a serious xc rider its ace.

I do ride xc upto about 35 miles, but its not the easiest going so just consider how much xc you do.

I’d look at that new stanton slackline, its not as small as a blender or snap but is ment to be bags of fun anecdote sounds like its better at xc.

muckytee
    Free Member

Links not working…

Thanks for your input guys :-), what about a cotic Bfe in comparison?

nwill1
    Free Member

If I rode more xc I think BFe would be top of my list, saying that its ment to be a very competent dh GT.

http://will4x.pinkbike.com/

Sorry link didn’t work due to ) on the end.

Try above link.

kudos100
    Free Member

At 6ft1 no chance. Get an ns surge, slackline or bfe and an adjustable fork.

andrewh
    Free Member

As a ‘messing about in the woods’ type XC bike i can see no issues with it, although given the small size it may become uncomfortable on longer rides.
    As an XC-race it would leave you at something of a disadvantage

vondally
    Free Member

one of my daughters used a specialized supercross her xc bike tough and fun in her words few years on she is looking for a Yeti 4x

pastcaring
    Free Member

custom supertherm brooklyn big ben, i can’t find a finished pic but you get the idea. to much fun, but crap as an xc bike…

just ordered one of these

iridebikes
    Free Member

th snap frame weighs less than 4 pounds if i remember correclty, its built to be ridden smothly, not smashed into rocks…

GW
    Free Member

Not a daft idea at all, you’re just a bit tall for it to work with most 4X frames.
    I’ve been riding 14″ light Alu DJ/4X frames with tough/durable 4X/DJ builds but with double chainring set-ups as all round hardtails for years as I don’t want to compromise how I can ride whenever I get to anything fun/interesting/jumpy/DH. I can only just manage full leg extension for XC/climbs with a 410mm poat on a 14″ frame (32″ish inside leg).
    What’s your inside leg measurement?
    unless you have incredibly short legs, at 6’1″ I’d doubt very much if you’d get full leg extension on a 13.5″ SNAP frame, even with a 410mm seatpost.

if your inside leg is 33″ (or less) have a look at long/large Giant STPs, they’re 15″ seattube, similar weight/geometry to the Snap (couple of deg steeper up front), light/tough and work brilliantly for what you want. Gee Atherton rode one for 4X/DJ when on Giant (a few years back) and is taller than you.

jeff

I rode a Blender for a while.

At 6ft, with a 400mm post I could get full leg extension, but there were a lots of mutterings about voiding warranty etc.

Lovely bike + great fun, but it needed to be a fraction bigger to make it work for me.

Sold it for pretty much what I paid for it which has got to be a biking first for me too!

will1991
    Free Member

I’ve got a blender which I occassionally use for XC just for a change from my other bikes. I’m about 5’11” with quite short legs I think and use a 410mm Thomson. It’s JUST big enough in terms of leg extension but the cockpit is a bit cramped with a 50mm stem so gives me back ache after about 25 miles and having the seatpost that far out seems to set me a fair way back in relation to the cranks, it feels weird compared to the other bikes. That said, it’s brilliant fun!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is this a mad idea, 4x frame for xc?’ is closed to new replies.