• This topic has 52 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Is this a healthy diet?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

OK, ditch the sugar, a bit less fruit, a bit more…other stuff. Maybe I will throw in a leek, some fish and some nuts.

I checked Tesco’s website after you flagged this to me but the cheapest 12pack of free range eggs are at the price I say; fruit could be cheaper but the very cheapest fruit is usually pretty minging. Porridge too could be cheaper if I did something drastic like bought it on Amazon but these are just Quaker Oats, nothing special! So in short prices aren’t the absolute cheapest possible but it’s not like I’m buying absurd “Whole Foods”/”Waitrose” piffle either.

You should be able to eat ‘healthily’ for a fiver a day. Protein is most expensive, so things like tuna, eggs, milk, turkey, beans/pulses are all good as they don’t cost too much.

Carbs are cheap, bulk buy oats and potatoes. Cheap veg is ok also.

Fats you can get from olive oil and nuts.

portlyone

One shouldn’t discount the nutritional goodness of Belgian beers

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Well basically anything that had eyes
    Including black eyed peas You forgot legumes and pulses in there.. beans, lentils
    Yeah sorry I forgot about them. Don’t normally have them.( Mind you, I would have fergie out of the black eyed peas 8) ). I usually only eat meat. It must be the caveman in me. Ugg ugg 😀

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Why knock Waitrose? some of the stuff is cheaper than my local ASDA plus a lot of stuff is price matched with Tesco and Sainburys. Cheapest fruit I find is bananas, normally get about 5 large ones for about 80 pence and why not trying something like mixed beans and tuna for lunch.

Bregante

Lunch – 3 oranges 2 apples 1 tomato

Perhaps they’re not just oranges but Marks and Spencers specially selected, organic ” I saw you coming” oranges.

Gary_C

Breakfast – big bowlful of porridge with sugar

Dinner – 3 oranges 2 apples 1 tomato

Tea – omelette with 3 eggs, 2 largeish sliced potatoes, a large red pepper, lentils, an onion and some cheese; a tomato; and a bowlful of broccoli

If you eat this for a year will you die?

FTFY.

flipiddy
    Free Member

Many professional nutritionists will advise you to balance every meal with carb, protein and fat. In other words, you need more than just porridge for breakfast, as although it might be considered ‘healthy’ it is lacking in fats and protein if you mix it with just water or semi-skimmed milk. The advantage of balancing carb, protein and fats is that it will slow digestion and make you feel less hungry.

“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper” and you’ll be reet…

Cougar

professional nutritionists

Oxymoron.

Why knock Waitrose?

Have you considered hitting your local market for fruit and veg? Should be better and cheaper (and supports local trade). Failing that, Aldi / Lidl? You pay less of a premium for fruit that won’t win beauty awards.

If this is purely a cost thing, good god man, what’s wrong with rice and pasta? There’s many a student subsisted for years on nothing but dried pasta, tinned tomatoes, a refill pack of oregano and 2L bottles of White Lightning.

jhw
    Free Member

If this is purely a cost thing, good god man, what’s wrong with rice and pasta? There’s many a student subsisted for years on nothing but dried pasta, tinned tomatoes, a refill pack of oregano and 2L bottles of White Lightning

Ha, like it. Gotta sustain this though.

I really like getting told I’m spending too much – I’m notorious for being tight-fisted among my peers here so it’s good to know there are others on the wavelength! People I know here piss 40 euros up the wall 3 nights a week and 80 at weekends and lose any possible financial independence in so doing. Can’t stand it.

Cougar

(-:

Sustaining is entirely my point. You need variety, a) for health reasons and b) to stop you going round the bend. Stuff like rice (I’m talking the dried stuff at 10p/cwt rather than the farty little sachets that “serves two” and costs you two quid because they’ve added water and a couple of peas) adds bulk and is full of, uh, marrowbone jelly for a healthy wet nose, or something. Cereals, pulses, nuts, all good.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A lot of rubbish and unconventional theory posted on here.

I concur.

Cougar

It’s what we do best. What do you think this is, Wikipedia?

Oh.

jhw
    Free Member

love it – many thanks!

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Is this a healthy diet?’ is closed to new replies.