Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is this a good idea.Washing out a shifter
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Wash out an xtr m970 shifter with a good solvent and then re-apply a wee bit of spray grease to it.
    This sort of stuff.
    link
    Or do you need to use a light oil.
    My front one is sticking on release.
    Cheers all..

coatesy
    Free Member

That problem’s generally caused by a small pawl sticking on it’s shaft (probably dried up grease), usually easily cured by removing the cover, applying a drip of GT85 on the shaft, and working the pawl free with a little screwdriver or similar (random spraying isn’t as likely to go where it’s needed, and doesn’t adress the need to work the pawl free).

robhughes
    Free Member

If this makes any sense coatesy.
    Iv,e had it opened up a couple of times and it works great with only a wee bit on tension and the pawl is free.Soon a you load it up with a chunk of pressure(shifted onto mid front) when you go to release it there’s two clicks.First one is a small click and nothing happens.Then you really have to push it to get to drop a cog…AAARRRR.Pain in the arse…

JoeG
    Free Member

I usually use WD-40 to clean out sticking shifters. Its much less likely to damage plastic or rubber than something like carb cleaner. I then use a silicone spray to relube.

robhughes
    Free Member

Just tried that Joe.Still the same.I think some wee bit inside is well and truly buggered.Time for the bin.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is this a good idea.Washing out a shifter’ is closed to new replies.