Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Is this a good idea or will I die? Trailer content
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Is it a good idea to tow a wee trailer, something like a BOB Yak, but probably a cheaper copy, with a carbon XC hardtail?
    Never seen it done, was just wondering if that’s because carbon doesn’t like being stressed in funny ways or if it’s just because people who tow trailers just use more suitable bikes for touring?
    Bike in question is a 2011 Pronghorn PR6, basically a rebadged Raleigh M-Traz (buy the Raleigh, Pronghorn’s warranty support is woeful). Anyway, it’s a proper XC race bike, no illusions of it being for touring at all. However, I will be traveling abroad and can only fit a certain number of bikes in the van, the trailer would let me race and tour with the same one. Dropouts are alloy bonded into the carbon somehow. Rear hub is a Chis Bling ISO so should be plenty strong enough. Disc mount is on the seatstay rather than chainstay if that makes any difference.
    Cheers guys and girls.

lightman
    Free Member

My mate used to tow his kiddie trailer +kids with his Cervelo P5.

maccruiskeen

Are you touring on or off road? Bob style trailers are better off road but put a lot of twisting forces through the frame. Twin wheel trailers like the y-frame or kid-carriers are kinder to the bike because they swivel freely.

Olly
    Free Member

i suspect it makes a big difference how the trailer is attached to the bikes.

One on a “modified” QR shouldnt stress the frame any more than it normally is, all the load will be transfered to the hub, as long as a heavy trailer doesn’t get hold of the hub and start twisting it torsionally?

One of those jobs that clamps a chain stay has disaster written all over it i suspect.

andrewh
    Free Member

Was thinking of single wheel for better off road ability but in reality shouldn’t be too much more than fire roads and Land Rover tracks,not a lot of gnar is likely to be getting shredded.Was thinking of skewer type as don’t fancy clamping things to carbon. It’s an ISP, which is great for racing,but no option to fut a sturdier seat post to clamp to.
    Will be in remote bits of Slovenia so not sure how easy finding LBSs to help out if it goes wrong will be
    Would love to see a P5 with a trailer! Did the children in it have to wear aero helmets?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Is this a good idea or will I die? Trailer content’ is closed to new replies.