Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is this a good deal?
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Weighing up getting a 29 er, first over 26 inch wheeled bike, for long day rides in the chilterns and the like. Have a Jekyll for Wales and Spain times. Is this a good bike for the price ? I know it says Elixir brakes, but Deores are cheap in a few months time, when the wife doesn’t notice the purchase of them 😉
    Having not had a 29 er or a lefty or come to think of that Sram running gear, not sure whats good and whats not.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p4266/CANNONDALE-FLASH-29ER-ALLOY-2-2012

Any help is good. Cheers

cliffyc
    Free Member

Yes,get it bought! 😀

bikeneil
    Free Member

Surely the spec of that bike would never warrant an £1800 price tag?

RobHilton
    Free Member

Blinder for £900!

I’d seriously consider stripping it of anything you don’t like before use so you can flog it and get a bit towards the kit you do want.

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s not a bad price at all – if it’s what you’re after. Cannondale tend to make quite ‘racy’ bikes I.e. light weight and steep angled. To be honest I’m not sure what the geometry on that one is like, but I suspect it’s not my idea of a fun XC bike.

It’s a good deal though.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I do like a snappy steering bike for XC duties. I have the slack Jekyll for playing lumpy stuff. The swopping of bits will be off limits for the first bit, so want to know the bits are up to the job for lasting. Brakes are easy to swop and cheap enough, but would rather hope the other bits are good to last a while. I have a great 50 mile loop from home, which I want to do more often and did it on a whippet, but didn’t really enjoy the bike, so sold it and need an xc replacement, which isn’t so head down like the whippet. Looking elsewhere, nothing really lights my fire for the same money. Unless someone can give me any ideas too ?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Well, nothing else took my fancy, so I have just ordered the Dale. Looking forward to long rides on it. So much positive reviews on the leftys , I had researched and also on how quick it is. First 29 er and for the money, I couldn’t find anything close to compare it. Roll on a bike box in a few days time 😀

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

And its here……. Done the frame protector tonight. Had some ceramic 1/4 balls , so changed them on the rear. Grease was very sticky, so wasn’t great. Guess that’s what happens on an old stock bike. Runs better on ceramic and Phils grease. Needs some tubeless valves, chainstay protector and ready to go. Also put xtr boots on the cables as de- sunshine weathered it too, rather than open cable caps. Just about to stick the Cannondale cd in the laptop to see how to adjust the Lefty, which looks weird, but sure I’ll get used to it soon enough. Not sure ‘Rapid Robs’ are going to keep me upright on the weekend rides in the slime and mud. What could possibly go wrong?
    Anyway , here it is.

2 days from order to delivery from Pauls. Pretty impressive stuff !

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Looking good, definitely desticker the rims though. Also, a 29er specific stem and an SLR saddle would do it wonders.

large418
    Free Member

What’s a 29er specific stem? Is it a normal one turned upside down?

That’s a cracking bike though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

large418 – Member
    What’s a 29er specific stem? Is it a normal one turned upside down?

Seriously?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Its a lefty stem, so not sure if you can change it. Will probably desticker the wheels at some point, but just want to ride it now. Was going for a street recce earlier, but opened the garage and a massive gust of wind blew everything everywhere and almost took the door off, so thought, sod that, I can wait………..

grtdkad

… and? How is it?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ur, late reply to this, but its a really nice comfortable ride. I have destickered the wheels,ODI grips fitted, tubeless was easy, stripped the cranks and packed the BB30 bearings with Phils grease. Checked there is a drainage hole in there, as that’s what goosed the bearings in my Jekyll. Changed the saddle for a Charge spoon, which has saved 30 grms !! Ordered some carbon bars and changed the rear Sram 1030 cassette for an XT, which is 70 gr saving. Waiting on the bars, but currently is 25.9lb with pedals and rear guard. Riding the Robs was grippier than I expected. Never had any real sketchy moments , except where it was just sheer clay mud, which even a mud tyre would struggle, judging by my mates riding with theirs.
    Not 100% Sram shifting happy. Shifters feel cramped and an upshift is silent and you cant tell how many you have done without looking back. Might ‘upgrade’ to XT at some point.
    The lefty. I don’t notice anything wrong with the ride it creates. Very linear with its travel, silent and quite impressive. I haven’t set it up yet, just letting it run free to bed itself in. A mate bought a 2014 Specialized Crave Expert, at the same time, with Rebas on the front and he rode the Dale and was stunned at the way it worked. I ‘think’ he needs to fettle his forks, but in comparison, they were just terrible.
    Avid brakes, I changed the pads to sintered clarks and they are not great in the wet. Howling, screaming and no real braking. I might buy some Uber pads and try those, although I am considering some Uber floating discs, as that might work better than the standard HS1 discs.
    Overall, for my first 29 er and having been unwell for a while, which has hampered my riding and the 29 er to give me the incentive to get out. I do want to ride it over other bikes and I am looking forward to long day rides, which is what I bought it for and I am sure it will do that without any issue at all.
    For the money, I am really happy and being £300 cheaper and an old model, compared to my mates Spesh, I feel its the better deal for me and a better chassis to upgrade.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is this a good deal?’ is closed to new replies.