Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is this a fossil?
  • kevj
    Free Member

And if it is, what is it?

Found this on the banks of the upper Tees yesterday while out walking with my sons. The rock appears to be sedimentary and the ‘fossil’ is around 4″ in length. We often find small fossils up this way but this one is far bigger and as there is no other bone structures visible, I couldn’t make out what it may have been other than maybe vertebrae?

SamCooke
    Free Member

That does look like an interesting find, unusual for the Tees though. Did it look like it belonged there? I’ll have to check at work tomorrow, but it looks like it might be a juvenile erithacus, or part of at least. How big is the rock?

bruneep

it looks like it might be a juvenile erithacus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erithacus

A baby Robin? are you having a giraffe? 😉

kimbers

mrs kimbers is a geologist

she reckons trace fossil called a Scalarituba- a burrow

kevj
    Free Member

It was on the inside bank on a bend in the river which has many different rocks deposited. The rock is 100x300x75 mm.

Kimbers, that sounds very plausible, cheers.

donsimon
    Free Member

You might just have found the ancient burial ground of Emily Batty’s ancestors. 😛

boxelder

What Kimbers said – it’s disturbance of the sediment by a beasty, rather than the beasty itself.

Drac

Fossils as sort of mentioned up there aren’t necessarily animals, we have plant fossils on the coast here from some very early period.

kevj
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

I was hoping that I’d found a new species or something!

mafiafish
    Free Member

Seems very well-defined for a trace fossil. No idea from me though, the fact that it’s perpendicular to the bedding of the rock doesn’t help me guess either.

honeybadgerx

+1 for a trace fossil. May also be formed from some kind of de-watering process but hard to tell from the pic.

Klunk
    Free Member

the image is already defined as Scalarituba under a google image search so it must be right 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is this a fossil?’ is closed to new replies.