Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Is there such a thing as an emergency PIN for use with Debit/Credit cards
  • tyger
    Free Member

I seem to remember reading something about being able to withdraw money if under duress? Security would be notified or something?? Cheers T

honeybadgerx

Yes there is

nealglover
    Free Member

Edit:

Is that the urban myth about putting your PIN in the machine backwards and the police being notified ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Chuckle at honeybadger.

OP – I don’t think so. Massive security flaw if so, and I’ve never been told about it despite owning about 8 C&P cards so if it’s a desired feature it’s not a very desired one cos they don’t tell you about it.

samuri
    Free Member

It’s complete rubbish

Euro
    Free Member

My pin is 1441

BigJohn

Nat West & RBS accounts can give you an 8 digit pin if you have lost your cards.

nealglover
    Free Member

Nat West & RBS accounts can give you an 8 digit pin if you have lost your cards.

Do you mean this ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19857243

jon1973
    Free Member

My pin is 1441

You’ll explode any minute.

bruneep
    jon1973
    Free Member

If it was the case, why wouldn’t they publicise it a bit more. You know, tell you when you get your new card etc. I don’t see why it would be a big secret.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Would be a good idea, similar to how TrueCrypt gives you a password to divulge if you’re forced to, but that doesn’t show your real data. Obviously it’d have to be unique to each person and not just your PIN backwards…

TooTall
    Free Member

Would be a good idea

Really? How many people do you know who have been forced to withdraw a whole £200 from a cashpoint at knifepoint?

nealglover
    Free Member

Murray

The 2 most common PIN verification algorithms are Visa PVV and IBM 3624. The Visa PVV algorithm is not reversible – you can’t derive a PIN from the PVV. The IBM 3624 algorithm calculates a “natural PIN”. If you want to select a different PIN it’s done as an offset from the natural PIN.

In all cases the calculations are done in a hardware security module, not the main host computer.

The reverse PIN could be identified for IBM DES in the HSM – weak PINs are identified that way. It’s not practical for Visa PVV. In any case, it has to be done in the HSM.

To further complicate it, many UK banks have “tweaks” to the standard algorithms or use something completely different.

It’s not referenced in the Visa, MasterCard or Link documentation.

It’s theoretically possible (at least for IBM 3624) but no one does it.

If you’re being robbed at knife point give them your cards, PIN, whatever. Cash can be replaced.

funkynick

As has been said above, Natwest can give people a code to enter into a cashpoint to get at funds if you have lost your card. It’s a one off thing, and you can withdraw upto £300…

I never knew this existed until the other half lost her card and she was offered it when she phoned up to report it.

CountZero

As has been said above, Natwest can give people a code to enter into a cashpoint to get at funds if you have lost your card. It’s a one off thing, and you can withdraw upto £300…

I never knew this existed until the other half lost her card and she was offered it when she phoned up to report it.
    Gets advertised on telly quite often…

tomstickland
    Free Member

Send me your card and the PIN (aka PIN number number).
    I’ll do a quick check to make sure that it’s up to date in terms of security settings.

#noneedtothankme

funkynick

CZ – that’ll explain why I’d not heard of it before then! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

Everyone’s PIN is the same anyway.
    It’s very smart. I mean, if you steal someone elses card the last PIN you’ll try is your own and it saves buying a load of fancy HSM equipment.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Really? How many people do you know who have been forced to withdraw a whole £200 from a cashpoint at knifepoint?

No one personally, but that’s not to say it doesn’t happen. Anyway, how often is happens doesn’t make it a bad idea.

Cougar

What makes it a good idea?

You key in your special code, the machine says “sorry, you’ve no money”, the assailant goes “you’ve just keyed in your special code, haven’t you” and kills you in the face.

Any organisation giving out advice for people faced with armed robbers that isn’t “just save yourself by giving them the money” is going to have to have a pretty robust alternative.

samuri
    Free Member

Maybe an ‘Acid’ PIN is needed. you put in the secondary PIN, move sidewards to allow the crim to grab all your loot and then he gets sprayed with acid.

There is no way that idea could go wrong.

aracer
    Free Member

You key in your special code, the machine says “sorry, you’ve no money”, the assailant goes “you’ve just keyed in your special code, haven’t you” and kills you in the face.

Alternatively the machine sends out an immediate alarm signal and gives out marked notes.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Alternatively the machine sends out an immediate alarm signal and gives out marked notes.

This.

you put in the secondary PIN, move sidewards to allow the crim to grab all your loot and then he gets sprayed with acid.

This would be even better.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think it would be better if entering the special code triggered a series of events including a boot on a stick kicking a road sign and a man high diving into a bath tub culminating in a sturdy cage descending onto the culprit.

*This is entirely my own idea and any similarity to a rodent themed board game is wholly coincidental*

Cougar

Alternatively the machine sends out an immediate alarm signal

To who? What’s that going to do? Reckon the police are going to get there before the perp leaves?

and gives out marked notes.

Who’ll be checking for those marks? And if someone finds some, then what? How hard will it be to launder a hundred quid? “Excuse me sir, this tenner is marked, where did you get it from?” – “Christ knows, they all look the same to me.”

molgrips
    Free Member

you put in the secondary PIN, move sidewards to allow the crim to grab all your loot and then he gets sprayed with acid.

Boxing glove on an spring.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Is there such a thing as an emergency PIN for use with Debit/Credit cards’ is closed to new replies.