Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Is there something wrong with me ???
  • richieokeefe1
    Free Member

I love my xc riding mainly fast flowing singletrack and I live in the chilterns where there is plenty of this, but as soon someone mentions going away for the weekend I never seem happy about going ! I seem to like thrashing my local xc trails for a few hours and not all day jaunts ! Does anyone feel the same way ! I have been to afan , cwarmcarn and quantocks but my local trails put more of a smile on my face !!!

lucien

Yep – just you

muff
    Free Member

perhaps it’s the people that your being invited by that don’t float your boat?

if i’m out on a group trip then it’s all about the company you keep, whther you’re feeling up for the ride or not.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

FREAK! 😉

creamegg
    Free Member

riding different trails is always good.

xiphon
    Free Member

No, there’s something wrong with EVERYONE else.

It’s not you.

wwaswas

Maybe you’re just someone who likes ‘the familiar’ in life?

There’s lots of people who enjoy repeating a known experience (resstaurant/walks/holidays) rather than seekign something new all the time.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Naaa… I know what you mean matey. I used to live down south – until I was 30 years old, and grew up riding all that lovely snakey woodlands singletrack, which is about as XC as you can get.

As a result, I became completely fixated on that southern XC ‘singletrack’ riding style and the sort of light, fast, short travel bikes that really are best to appreciate this area.

Over the past few years, though, I’ve lived in Tasmania, Sheffield and now Aberystwyth – all quite gnarly, which has helped re-shape my ideas somewhat! In fact, I went for a blast around Coed y Brenin yesterday and actually had to reluctantly admit to myself that my recently purchased 140mm Orange 5 is probably a great deal quicker overall round CyB than my 89mm Giant Anthem – even going uphill, bizarely!

I used to be convinced for years and years that all you’d ever need for anything is a light 100mm XC hardtail. I’m not so sure now!

So I guess, what I’m saying is that it’s horses for courses, adapt your approach (both equipment-wise and metally) to riding these sorts of places and you might find you enjoy them a lot more.

Alternatively, just carry on enjoying all that lovely southern swoopy woodland singletrack! It’s ace. There’s no need to feel pressured into riding anything else if that’s not your bag, despite the endless (willy-waving etc.) nonsense that gets talked about on STW 😀

Kryton57

I’ve discovered riding solo this year (decided to enter some events) and its a bit of a revelation, to the point that the social rides can become a bit of a chore if:

a) You are training to a fitness goal
    b) You aren’t mentally in a social mood

Its easy to get pi**ed of at all the stop / start / chatting if you arent in the mood or aren’t er, “au fait” with the group.

The best advice (and I’m trying to re-learn this myself) is to relax and chill out and treat the social riding to what it is – a social event. Either that or shoot off first / last from the group so you can ride sections of trail at your own pace. But be careful of making yourself looking “aloof”.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing though, each to thier own…

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

i’m not saying I dont like new trails i’m saying that I think i’m quite blessed really where I live if you like xc 🙂 🙂

tazzymtb

the only reason for riding is to make you happy, do whatever gives you the biggest smile per mile and forget all the rest 😀

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’m going the other way.

I’ve ridden my local trails for the last 7 years, since work and new family commitments reduced my free time. Other than a yearly day trip to Cyb or similar.

The kids are older now and my work has changed, so earlier this year I got to Snowdonia for three days.

All my local riding seems diminished at the moment. I just keep thinking about trails further afield. 😐

OCB
    Free Member

I only ever ride in the lanes/tracks hereabouts (but I do have a lot of lanes/tracks hereabouts, and quite often … not much time, so it all kinda works out).

I’ve only driven once in the last 18 months to ride somewhere, and that was only a ’round trip of of 8 miles because I was short of time …

I am a surly old misanthropic ascetic too tho’, which might also have something to do with it.

ampthill

I think it depends on your travel tolerance

I use to travel loads for climbing and riding

Its alot less now. Its nice to spend time doing not travelling to…..

tazzymtb

I am a surly old misanthropic ascetic

but you always seem so lovely…..and have a nice beard 😀

OCB
    Free Member

tazzymtb
    but you always seem so lovely…..and have a nice beard

Ah but “on the internet, nobody knows you are a dog” 😉
    (… but thanks, that’s very sweet of you to say so tho’ … 😳 )

theendisnigh
    Free Member

‘willy-waving’

mega lolz

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Is there something wrong with me ???’ is closed to new replies.