Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)
  • Is there software available that can block people on forums?
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

But then I just treat this place like being down the pub with a load of mates

This. Plus some of you are crazier and less predictable than the voices in my head.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The vast majority of people on here that are rude and unpleasant wouldn’t dare do it in person as they would end up getting a kicking on a regular basis.

Really? REALLY?
    I feel sad that you think that

I’ve been on this forum for many years, and I’ve met literally scores if people off here, probably over 100 by now and I find exactly the opposite to be true. Sure, there’s some that relish a good argument but that’s allowed. That’s what forums are for.
    But put a real issue in front if the STW massiv and watch everyone to a (wo)man come together. Prime example – Bullhearts cancer.
    There’s a shedload of good advice on here, it’s astonishing sometimes, better than Google, and always a balanced POV if you actually read what is written.
    If I agreed with you, would that help? Because if I felt like you do, I’d leave the forum

Cougar

But then I just treat this place like being down the pub with a load of mates… and that mostly involves taking the pee.

Same here, really. STW is just another social circle that attracts it’s own banter. People get to know each other, and the lines and barriers are relaxed. Friendships are made. Wow, just like real life, who’d a thunk it.

I think perhaps ‘taking the pee’ is all about intent. You can do it with a nod and a knowing smile, or full of rage and malice. A problem then arises in written communication because it can be very difficult to tell the difference. Without body language it’s not always readily apparent when someone is joking or deadly serious.

Especially when someone contradicts themselves

I don’t see how that’s particularly contradictory. Hypocritical, perhaps. (-: I choose to use the forum because, on the whole, I like it. That doesn’t mean that I don’t get to go “oi, you might want to think about what you’re saying” occasionally.

jota180
    Free Member

Does it make a difference whether my alias is “Cougar,” “John Smith” or “Deathblade Eric the Third”?

Not one jot, no

Anyway, it’s slopping out time and big Bert from C block want to see me and I know he’s real 🙂 so I’ll leave you to it

Cougar

Not one jot, no

Sending someone you know an email is not the the same as chatting with strangers that have made up names

Sorry, you seem to be contradicting yourself. Could you perhaps elaborate once Bert’s finished with you?

jota180
    Free Member

On the other hand Ro5ey, that looks like contradiction to me… (-:

no it isn’t as I’ve no idea if any of those are your real names

Bert didn’t want much this time, working in a Public school can be tiresome

donsimon
    Free Member

But then I just treat this place like being down the pub with a load of mates… and that mostly involves taking the pee.

I often think the same, but there are similarities and differences, you wouldn’t wander around the pub joining in any old conversation, you wouldn’t drop in on a table to drop a bombshell of a wittisism then leave, you wouldn’t listen into another conversation then charge in with you own opinions, you wouldn’t walk up to a group of people to hurl insults.
    Or would you?
    You might do it with mates, but it’s a bit rich to assume I’m your mate.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Right you lot are boring me now… I’m off to pull the blonde in the corner.

If I crash n burn I’ll see you in the Raj later on

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I don’t get the OP’s problem. If you come across posts that you consider juvenile/rude/offensive and so on, either 1: ignore them or 2: respond.

The response is often a good self-measure against your own monitoring of your own forum approach. No? I mean, yes?

DezB
    Free Member

you wouldn’t wander around the pub joining in any old conversation

…or leaning across strangers’ tables and saying “WGAF?”

cynic-al
    Free Member

The pub analogy isn’t quite right – in a pub you can’t listen (or join in) to any conversation you want to.

Cougar

no it isn’t as I’ve no idea if any of those are your real names

Would it be any different face to face? “Hi, I’m John Smith.” Are you?

You might do it with mates, but it’s a bit rich to assume I’m your mate.

That’s pretty much where I was going with this. You extend courtesies to your friends that shouldn’t be assumed by strangers. I’d cheerfully call a mate a c–t, with joy in my heart and a spring in my step. If I did it to a stranger on the street, I expect I’d get a slap for my troubles.

On here, jota180 appears to be suggesting that we’re all strangers, but that’s clearly not the case. Over time you forge a rapport with some people during discussions. I know some people have a wicked sense of humour, I know some people I can rely on for a good conversation, and I know some people who, well, don’t fall into those categories.

Cougar

The pub analogy isn’t quite right – in a pub you can’t listen (or join in) to any conversation you want to.

A party might be a better analogy? Lots of people who don’t know each other, but interaction is more encouraged.

An American bar might work as well.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep I’m defo off now … here comes that dullard ^^^

See how easy it is OP.

Cougar

You know, you can go right off some people.

jota180
    Free Member

A party might be a better analogy?

More like a football crowd where some are angry all the time, some are mellow, with lots of shades in-between
    One lot heckle another lot etc. etc.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think your problem is that, basically, you’re a complete knerbhead.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

😉 😆

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sorry Couger you got it with a post before the ^^^

Love you x

zokes
    Free Member

wunundred

yossarian
    Free Member

There is no good analogy. That is the point. It is what it is. An anonymous medium. People respond differently to this. And always will. The best, and possibly only, way to approach this is to learn how a particular forum community expresses itself and try and tune into that. Which is pretty much a cornerstone of social behaviour no?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wow, I got called a dullard by a stranger online.

Is that the sort of reaction you were looking for?

aracer
    Free Member

Has anybody seen kudos lately? Or has he installed killfile and blocked the lot of us?

zokes
    Free Member

even your good self has a two day gap in posting this week, ban or holiday?

Neither – Fringe festival on here at the moment so out quite a few nights, and as I’m down-under, it gets a bit tedious arguing with yourself during the day on STW 😉

kudos100
    Free Member

Really? REALLY?
    I feel sad that you think that

I’ve been on this forum for many years, and I’ve met literally scores if people off here, probably over 100 by now and I find exactly the opposite to be true. Sure, there’s some that relish a good argument but that’s allowed. That’s what forums are for.
    But put a real issue in front if the STW massiv and watch everyone to a (wo)man come together. Prime example – Bullhearts cancer.
    There’s a shedload of good advice on here, it’s astonishing sometimes, better than Google, and always a balanced POV if you actually read what is written.
    If I agreed with you, would that help? Because if I felt like you do, I’d leave the forum

Yes I agree, there is a lot of good stuff that happens on this forum. Sadly it can be overshadowed by people making snide comments and generally being confrontational toward anyone they don’t agree with. I am of the opinion that although the internet is largely anonymous, it is no excuse for being unpleasant and rude to anyone who doesn’t share the same view.

I’m sure some of the people on here are not bad sorts in real life, but if they behaved like they did on the internet, they would find out pretty quickly that that doesn’t wash.

I was in a foul mood yesterday and let it get to me. Apologies to grum for having a go at him, it wasn’t deserved.

In future I will do my best to stick the bike forum!

donsimon
    Free Member

On here, jota180 appears to be suggesting that we’re all strangers,

This is one of the areas I too struggle with, I’m never too sure whether doing it with strangers is cleansing or keeps me in the gutter where I belong. 🙁

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I think it’s about time for you to put up or shut up.

Name names. 😈

jota180
    Free Member

On here, jota180 appears to be suggesting that we’re all strangers,

Not quite, more like “I know of him/her” but don’t know him/her

but I’d easily walk past 99% of the people on here as if they were total strangers because they would be

mogrim

I am of the opinion that although the internet is largely anonymous, it is no excuse for being unpleasant and rude to anyone who doesn’t share the same view.

Personally I disagree with two points you’re implicitly making here: I don’t think STW is really “anonymous”, and I don’t think there are really that many people who are unpleasant and rude on here.

Why don’t I think STW is anonymous? Because we don’t randomly change our logins, and we have history. I may not know TJ or cynic-al or Cougar or whoever in real life, but I do know them on here – I’ve got a pretty good idea of what kind of response they will give when they post. I’ve yet to see (or at least notice) anyone who posts regularly but changes their online personality without warning.

Likewise I see very few really malicious posts – rudeness and banter, definitely, and at times I could see that the laddishness could be overbearing, but outright malice? Not often. And I’d probably report it if I saw it.

teasel
    Free Member

…you wouldn’t wander around the pub joining in any old conversation, you wouldn’t drop in on a table to drop a bombshell of a wittisism then leave…

Strangely, I do. Well, not in a pub because I don’t actually frequent them on a regular basis, but definitely when I’m just out and about. I’m sure it’s some sort of failure to recognise social boundaries and the like but I’ve always been like it. I nearly always interject with humour and obviously that’s easier to grasp when more than just the written word is involved.

Has got me into the odd bit of bother, though…

hora
    Free Member

I’m not perfect and I don’t expect anywhere near perfection in myself, relationships or friends.

We are human. If someone annoys you THAT much I question how relaxed and forgiving you are in the ‘real’ world.

I’ve had ding dongs with people online and not even remembered or bothered when I’ve met them in real life.

I can only hold grudges for 5mins anyway.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hora you’re a *** pile of ****!

I’m just going to make a cup of tea… back in 5.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They tend to be related to politics in someway and over 3 pages long….
    Personally I don,t think these people are that opinionated in real life and are probably quite nice chaps

Yiou are wrong very wrong 😉

Mark says the differenc ebetween this place and a pub is that on here it is the equivalent of standing on the bar and shouting out what you say to the entire pub rathe than just saying it to your mates

however the people who follow you around like a lost puppy posting where you’ve posted is a wee bit sad (AndyP and RichC spring to mind). They’ll be along shortly as they probably use the search function for their username which would perpetuate what I think of them

Wow you actually notice 😯 or you are just deranged and paranoid

Sadly it can be overshadowed by people making snide comments and generally being confrontational toward anyone they don’t agree with. I am of the opinion that although the internet is largely anonymous, it is no excuse for being unpleasant and rude to anyone who doesn’t share the same view.

If it were me saying this I would re read what you had posted you seem to be the worst on this thread and last night to Grum – troll surely

MarkDatz
    Free Member

peepel here r nice and frendley i like it

Junkyard
    Free Member

If i could access Youtube i would play a song to celebrate the return of the datz innit

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ve chosen Lady in Red for you Junky…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt2YIpZWBqA[/video]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Wot Mark sez +1. Tru dat!

🙂

aracer
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see (or at least notice) anyone who posts regularly but changes their online personality without warning.

Now there’s a challenge. Do you reckon the username “schizophrenic” is available (yes I know that’s a fallacy, but “person with multiple personality disorder” doesn’t quite have the same ring)?

hora
    Free Member

Now there’s a challenge. Do you reckon the username “schizophrenic” is available (yes I know that’s a fallacy, but “person with multiple personality disorder” doesn’t quite have the same ring)?

How many usernames has Fred had now?

DezB
    Free Member

Mark Datz’s has returned? Awsum!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Is there software available that can block people on forums?’ is closed to new replies.