Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 163 total)
  • Is there software available that can block people on forums?
  • yossarian
    Free Member

Where has deadly darcy gone? Was he banned too?

My take on killfiles? If you don’t have enough self esteem, self control and emotional maturity to ignore comments made by others then you shouldn’t be taking part in this forum. Blocking people because you can’t handle a few lines of text on a screen is for kids, not adults. It demonstrates a problem with the blocker, not the blockee.

Sorry but that’s how it is.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I use kilfile (see above) to block three specific posters. Apparently I’m immature (considers adding poster to list) 😆

jota180
    Free Member

Where has deadly darcy gone? Was he banned too?

I think he morphed into a Eurovision singer

samuri
    Free Member

I also resent the proposition that as IT Geeks we have no power. We’re usually the most powerful people in the company. HTH.

yossarian
    Free Member

What’s it actually achieved buzz? Other than giving you the illusion of ‘control’ over them?

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I also resent the proposition that as IT Geeks we have no power. We’re usually the most powerful people in the company. HTH.

Sorry, you may use most of the power in a company but I think IT are quite a long way down the pecking order in most of the companies I’ve worked for. I’ve never seen an IT person in a board meeting deciding who’s going to get promoted, demoted, redundant, hired etc etc.

IT people may be high in importance but the clout the IT dept has in my company (300 employees) matches the people who lick the envelopes in the post room

allthepies
    Free Member

Back on topic…

For Chrome users there’s http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/forum-extension-tools

DT78
    Free Member

Just stick to the bike forum, its quiet over there. And it’d pretty easy to spot the threads where someone is trolling. They tend to be related to politics in someway and over 3 pages long….

Personally I don,t think these people are that opinionated in real life and are probably quite nice chaps.

samuri
    Free Member

IT people may be high in importance but the clout the IT dept has in my company (300 employees) matches the people who lick the envelopes in the post room

uhuh. Are you at work now accessing this? That’s happening because someone like me allows it. Enjoy.

yossarian
    Free Member

uhuh. Are you at work now accessing this? That’s happening because someone like me allows it. Enjoy.

😆

That’s hilarious

jota180
    Free Member

Well, you could say the most important dep’t is the one that unlocks the door in a morning then?

bol

Mmm, I’m fairly sure that if someone on your board (assuming you’re not) told you to block STW, you would. It sounds like you’re confusing power and skill.

samuri
    Free Member

Exactly. The business will carry on working quite happily without the CEO but if there’s nobody there to open the doors, it’ll grind to a halt.

donsimon
    Free Member

Who sets the policy that tells you to allow it? 😀

samuri
    Free Member

I do. I’m your worst nightmare, I’m a geek with authority.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

uhuh. Are you at work now accessing this? That’s happening because someone like me allows it. Enjoy

So you control the 3G network then?

Exactly. The business will carry on working quite happily without the CEO but if there’s nobody there to open the doors, it’ll grind to a halt.

No, they get some other drone to do it.

jota180
    Free Member

The business will carry on working quite happily without the CEO but if there’s nobody there to open the doors, it’ll grind to a halt.

I did actually see ours grind to a halt for that very reason
    a rather annoyed ex-employee super-glued the gate locks

The IT manager was running around in a tizzy trying to arrange logons for people to shoot off home and dial in whilst one of the service guys simply walked over to his van and got the Stihl saw out

samuri
    Free Member

ervice guys simply walked over to his van and got the Stihl saw out

Sounds like a pretty important guy.

donsimon
    Free Member

I do. I’m your worst nightmare, I’m a geek with authority.

So you are the head honcho, my apologies.

jota180
    Free Member

Sounds like a pretty important guy.

It was quite comical TBH – people were in all sorts of panic whilst this guy simply stood there having his smoke, when he finished it, he just wandered over chopped the lock off and then went back to his van and left them all to dismantle their ad-hoc ‘car-boot’ office

mcboo
    Free Member

Our IT guys are the least geeky in the place, bunch of beery Aussies with attitude.

samuri
    Free Member

So you are the head honcho, my apologies.

no problem.

yossarian
    Free Member

Can someone please tag this thread with samuri=awesome?

Ta

Cougar

It’s not real life at all, some of the characters may well be their real selves and some of them may well not be, it’s often not easy to tell and you can never be sure

Doesn’t make me any less real though. I’m not a character in a movie.

Real people, real feelings, you can’t just treat people like scum and go “well, it’s not like it’s real, is it.” Well, you could, just like in ‘real life,’ but that wouldn’t make you a very nice person.

So you control the 3G network then?

Well, he doesn’t block it.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Point the second, whilst I’m proud to be an “IT geek,” I take offence at the implication that this somehow invalidates me or my opinions.”

“Point the first, no-one’s forcing you to use the forum.”

Lol…. @ the IT geek

Cougar

Pourquoi?

jota180
    Free Member

Real people, real feelings, you can’t just treat people like scum and go “well, it’s not like it’s real, is it.”

We’ll have to disagree on the real people bit for a lot of the characters on here and other forums then, I’ve really no idea who they are, they may well have a real persona and show it online, but I simply don’t know

I don’t see a lot of characters being treated like scum either

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar …. I was just chuckling at the amusing t-shirt you’re no doubt wearing

smell_it
    Free Member

It’s not the bitching or trolling, but when someone like realman can just keep posting after ripping someone off on the classifieds, I could quite happily block the musings of a scrot like that.

mogrim

Point the second, whilst I’m proud to be an “IT geek,” I take offence at the implication that this somehow invalidates me or my opinions.

Got to say I didn’t particularly like the OP’s comment either. Still, maybe he’s woken up in a better mood this morning.

And like others have posted, I see very little actual spite on this forum – the odd mindless “XXX is gay” type post which contributes little, but very few personal attacks.

yossarian
    Free Member

muddyman
    Free Member

wasnt there some german fella with a dodgy tash back in the 30s who tried banning everyone who didnt agree with him ???? oh what was his name ??? 😉

jota180
    Free Member

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m the only person that’s on my killfile list.

I post frequently and with such insight that I’d be forever in amazement at my own greatness.

It’s easier this way.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oooh look ^^ some idiot said something stupid. But I know they’re not.

Cougar

I’ve really no idea who they are, they may well have a real persona and show it online, but I simply don’t know

True enough, as far as it goes.

I’ve met a lot of people over the years who I first knew online. Some people are exactly the same face-to-face, some are very different. A couple are now very good friends but until I met them I couldn’t abide them online.

But then, online aside, I’ve met people face to face who’ve turned out not to be what they first seem too. You don’t need a keyboard to be disingenuous, to project a ‘persona’.

So, I don’t agree with the idea that it’s “only” online, it’s not “real”, any more than any other medium. Would you say the same if you were being interviewed on television, or conducting a phone call? If it’s not real life then drop an email to your boss calling him a nob and see how far you get with that. The only practical difference is that the web is newer and people are still working it out.

Sorry if I’ve got a bit of a bee in my comedy t-shirt about this, but the “it’s not real life” mindset is often the defence of trolls who think it’s funny to antagonise people they’ve never met. Not that I’m saying that’s the case here, I just believe it’s erroneous to think that way.

jota180
    Free Member

If it’s not real life then drop an email to your boss calling him a nob and see how far you get with that. The only practical difference is that the web is newer and people are still working it out.

As he’s sacking me in April I probably would, but that aside …..

I’m sure he’s had emails from employees calling him a nob [and worse] but they’ll have usually come from someone with a made up name – like on internet forums – so he’ll have no real idea who they are

Sending someone you know an email is not the the same as chatting with strangers that have made up names

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“Sorry if I’ve got a bit of a bee in my comedy t-shirt about this, but the “it’s not real life” mindset is often the defence of trolls who think it’s funny to antagonise people they’ve never met. Not that I’m saying that’s the case here, I just believe it’s erroneous to think that way.”

Sorry guilty as charged

But then I just treat this place like being down the pub with a load of mates… and that mostly involves taking the pee.

Especially when someone contradicts themselves

Cougar

Does it make a difference whether my alias is “Cougar,” “John Smith” or “Deathblade Eric the Third”?

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t block anyone however the people who follow you around like a lost puppy posting where you’ve posted is a wee bit sad (AndyP and RichC spring to mind). They’ll be along shortly as they probably use the search function for their username which would perpetuate what I think of them 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Is there software available that can block people on forums?’ is closed to new replies.