Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is there really a big difference in grips?
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mine are worn and I am just about to buy some more….the things is (and something I’ve not really ever thought about to be honest!), is there really much difference between grips?

If so, what & why? Also what would you recommend and why?

RealMan
    Free Member

Well main difference is lock on or slip on.

Then you’ve got various thickness, thicker can be more comfortable but thinner give you more control.

Then you’ve got different colours..

ltheisinger
    Free Member

RealMan – Member

Well main difference is lock on or slip on.

Then you’ve got various thickness, thicker can be more comfortable but thinner give you more control.

Then you’ve got different colours..

Is that it? I thought that might be the case, but its just one of those things I’ve never considered!

EDIT: Always just gone for the look!

RealMan
    Free Member

Well I suppose someone may come along and tell you you get different types of rubber or whatever they’re made out of that make all the difference, and you can get some odd shaped high density foam type grips that are meant to be pretty good, but if you ride with gloves I don’t see it making much difference.

mboy
    Free Member

It’s all about personal preference…

Some people like thin grips, some like fat. Some people like knobbly grips, some like smooth. Some people like long grips, some like short. Some people like black grips, some like coloured…

You getting the picture here?

All I can suggest is trial and error… Go to a shop, try as many out as you can, you’ll soon learn. I’ve been riding for 15 years now and still have only tried a very small amount (compared to whats on the market) number of grips, but I do at least know I like mine fairly thick (not as thick as Oury or the Sunline thick though), some knobbles but not too much, and reasonably soft to touch. But like I say, it’s all personal preference.

richteabiscuit
    Free Member

I’ve aways purchased on looks or what was in fashion ’till I bought a pair of the Ritchey ergo foam grips when I was on a weightweenie vibe a while ago. I love ’em.. okay they wear out and they need hairspray to keep ’em in place but I can’t see me buying anything else now.

stumpynya12
    Free Member

ditto what RTB says… I thought a grips a grip WRONG !!!! justed started using ritchey WCS foam as I spied them on a niche haws cycle and WOW. I ride rigid forked so I suppose I would say that though. Helmet chat anyone ?

ton

ergon grips have made a very painfull riding life into a very comfy non painfull riding life.

takisawa2

Lizard Skins North Shore for me. Tried ODI X Trainers but not enough cushioning, & hands went numb. So yes, there is a difference, & often not till you’ve tried a few.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Ah….right….a few have mentioned ‘painful’ rides & ‘numb’ hands….mmmm? I get both from time to time. I am currently using the Sunline lock-on’s – so maybe time to give something different a go? Loads of hands up for the Richy Ergo, so might give them a go!

Cheers all.

spooky_b329

I usually go for Lizard Skin Logo grips, I like thin, smooth and tacky grips.

Tried some Oury grips a while back, I hated them! Thick and squishy, so squishy that after using my ‘never failed’ hairspray method of putting the grips on, they would unstick themselves as they moved under my hands.

I eventually upgraded to Lizard Skins lockons, avoided it for ages but so much easier when you want to remove a gear shifter or similar.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Some people like black grips, some like coloured…

R-r-r-r………….

(No, Elfin; no. No)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is there really a big difference in grips?’ is closed to new replies.