Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Is there nothing that China can't make and ship to UK cheaper than doing it here
  • rockhopper70

..as in I bought some bubble mixture for the kids. Bottle of soapy water with a holy/holey?? wand attached to the lid.
    So they can make and ship soapy water cheaply.
    …soapy water in a bottle?!?!?!?

molgrips
    Free Member

Apples?

rockhopper70

apples…make?
    don’t they grow?

kimbers

the soap is rendered from the bodies of political dissidents

donsimon
    Free Member

Stilton Cheese.

molgrips
    Free Member

He didn’t say PEOPLE in China. Apple trees make apples.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Finely toleranced rolls for papermaking machinery. FACT.

Northwind

Quite a large number of high tech products. Complex pharmaceuticals. (we export 45% of what we manufacture)

rockhopper70

good….high end precision stuff is what is needed.
    I served my apprenticeship at a engineering company manufacturing textile machines that was wound up due to competitors moving out their manuf to the PRC. 650 or so folk told that’s it, don’t come in tomorrow.
    V sad day.

KonaTC

Nope

CaptJon
    Free Member

Ideas.

Garry_Lager

Quite a large number of high tech products. Complex pharmaceuticals. (we export 45% of what we manufacture)

The heavy lifting in pharmaceuticals, the high tech part, is in the R&D, not the manufacture. The management of that process is still here in the West, but most of the labour has now been outsourced to China.

flip
    Free Member

They can’t make love like us brits.

Is true.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve wondered the same thing with timber flooring. It seems it’s cheaper to chop down European Oak Trees (from forestry in IIRC France/Germany/Czech Republic/Scandinavia etc), ship them to China, where they chop them up, make them into Engineered Boards i.e. 6mm Oak layer with approx 15mm Plywood backing, box them, wrap them and send them back here sold as “Engineered European Oak”. Staggering really, but I’m sure someone could show me the sums to prove it’s cost effective. Just seems wrong.

Mind you, the machining is spot on compared to stuff machined here 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CaptJon – Member

Ideas.

Well they’ve a few of those, including, papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, mechanical clocks, the abacus, rockets, pontoon bridges, paper money, writing, smallpox inoculation, porcelain, silk, matches, the civil service, landmines, cast iron, umbrellas, the crossbow, the parachute, canal locks, and printing.

And it looks as if they are still coming up with ideas. From a couple of weeks ago :

China poised to overhaul US as biggest publisher of scientific papers

“The Royal Society said that China was now second only to the US in terms of its share of the world’s scientific research papers written in English. The UK has been pushed into third place, with Germany, Japan, France and Canada following behind”

chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, most companies want to make huge profit so move their plants abroad to the country of Dear Leaders. Good for short term profit but in the long run they are essentially committing UK to industrial/economical suicide. They take the money out of the community without replenishing them. Take and take only. Benefit the minority few of the super rich … Then of course we are addicted to cheap goods where our moral etc just go out the windows the moment money is discussed but then we want to have a good life so we need more money … So everyone wants to become a manager … so everyone want to be a chief … so everyone wants to be famous celebrity …

Yes, they can manufacture all that you have and beyond …

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Gary_lager – is a lot of that stuff not done in singapore, taiwan and japan etc?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes! Good quality products that don’t fall apart after a months use. Can’t wait to see all those parked up mg’s, actually saying that they’ll probably be of the same quality of the last effort using the iconic badge!
    Edit, Poor grammar and punctuation for the above! I apologise!

MrOvershoot

Yep, Wheat Flour.

adam5555

I read an article criticising Young’s the frozen seafood company for closing there prawn shelling plant in the uk. Turns out its cheaper to ship prawns to vietnam, have them shelled by hand, freeze them and send them back than it is to have them shelled by machine in the UK!

Kevevs
    Free Member

“Cornish Pasties” have to be made in Cornwall now not China.

chewkw
    Free Member

adam5555 – Member
    Turns out its cheaper to ship prawns to vietnam, have them shelled by hand, freeze them and send them back than it is to have them shelled by machine in the UK!

If this is the case then this company is so greedy that their only main concern is for their own pocket rather than the community that give in to their pocket. Greedy pig and that’s how they kill their own industry by blaming overseas competition.

chewkw
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member

“Cornish Pasties” have to be made in Cornwall now not China.

What stop the company from sending the ingredients to China to be mixed then ship back to be baked? Still made in Cornwall but with Chinese hands that’s all.

donsimon
    Free Member

If this is the case then this company is so greedy that their only main concern is for their own pocket rather than the community that give in to their pocket

So, you do understand it then…

loddrik
    Free Member

Stand up comedy

Garry_Lager

Gary_lager – is a lot of that stuff not done in singapore, taiwan and japan etc?

Singapore is a big pharma manufacturing site, yeah – v favourable tax situation AFAIK. The outsourced research effort in discovering drugs is mainly China and India, though.

This is just a part of the decline of the big pharma industry in the UK though, there are other more fundamental reasons why it’s all gone to shit than just cheap, skilled labour in China.

votchy
    Free Member

From experience with our latest new model, they can’t make good sheet metal press tools nor injection moulding dies, the tool parting lines on the mouldings look more like feature lines!!!

samuri
    Free Member

anything can be made cheaper. Make it better.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

good….high end precision stuff is what is needed.

most companies want to make huge profit so move their plants abroad to the country of Dear Leaders. Good for short term profit but in the long run they are essentially committing UK to industrial/economical suicide.

Everyone laments the ‘loss’ of the manufacturing industries. They don’t care that in general they were poorly paid, dirty horrible jobs. I mean, do you really want your kids growing up to work in the underwear factory on Corrie? That’s the manufacturing industry, low skill, low pay, no career progression.

No doubt in 50 years time we’ll all be back here lamenting the loss of the service industries, hell we’re doing it already, “ohhh its terrible these Indian call centres taking our jobs”. Who the f*** wants to work in a call centre, I mean you might want a job, any job at all, but do you really want to work in a call centre above anything else?

Do you know what they said during the industrial revolution 150 years ago? The only true industry is farming, this manufacturing lark is pointless, farming will make us great.

I imagine 500,000 years ago some cave dwelling ancestor turned to his friend and said “this farming lark will never catch on, getting food form the trees is the only real way of doing it”

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Black pudding

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Scotch Whisky

HermanShake
    Free Member

Swiss bearings, Champagne, Bordeaux, Scotch whiskey and rapidly perishable items.

It’s mental how shipping from the west outward inhibits export, but manufacture and cheap delivery/shipping from the east=loads of export. I guess it helps when you pay people nowt.

chewkw
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Everyone laments the ‘loss’ of the manufacturing industries. They don’t care that in general they were poorly paid, dirty horrible jobs. I mean, do you really want your kids growing up to work in the underwear factory on Corrie? That’s the manufacturing industry, low skill, low pay, no career progression.

No doubt in 50 years time we’ll all be back here lamenting the loss of the service industries, hell we’re doing it already, “ohhh its terrible these Indian call centres taking our jobs”. Who the f*** wants to work in a call centre, I mean you might want a job, any job at all, but do you really want to work in a call centre above anything else?

So everyone wants to become the chief or the manager.

No matter how much progress there are still people that need low end jobs and I am sure they will not be as horrible as what they used to be. Yes, it is dirty and yes it is hardwork but it is still a job some people need to do. Perhaps not you nor me but others. Even for call centres.

spasmicgherkin
    Free Member

there it is, any job’s better than no job.

That’s the manufacturing industry, low skill, low pay, no career progression.

and as the exception that proves one of the rules, lord i envied the FLT drivers when i was a subby at B.A.T. – £14p/h! that’s middle-class money to my eye, why progress? ye gads, six years on and i barely beat half that for making sure jet engines go vroom not boom.

(incidentally mind, i enjoy my job in manufacturing. after a brief stab at office work, i’m infinitely happier running around all night and coming home exhausted, oily and mildly irradiated)

surely it’ll all reach a tipping point in the future when the East becomes the main powerhouse and start outsourcing to sweatshops/call-centres over here anyhoo. plus ca change

konabunny
    Free Member

The outsourced research effort in discovering drugs is mainly China and India, though.

But isn’t that a lot of that inevitable because you’re looking for places where there are large numbers of ill, drug-naive population?

Or am I misunderstanding something? (I’m not in the industry but I have done some work Clinical Trials Organisations)

donsimon
    Free Member

Champagne and probably Bordeaux

Can’t be produced in the UK.

Edukator
    Free Member

You may find that the Bordeaux you’re drinking comes from a château owned by the Chinese, Herman. Imbalances in trade mean we are no longer exchanging low tech for high tech but selling the family china, house, farm, hotel, business… . Look at ownership paterns in central London and Paris, and yes, the Bordeaux vinyards too.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well they’ve a few of those, including, papermaking, the compass, gunpowder, mechanical clocks, the abacus, rockets, pontoon bridges, paper money, writing, smallpox inoculation, porcelain, silk, matches, the civil service, landmines, cast iron, umbrellas, the crossbow, the parachute, canal locks, and printing

They were all a long time ago though. China had a golden age, then it all went dark for a long time.

If this is the case then this company is so greedy that their only main concern is for their own pocket rather than the community that give in to their pocket

Right, but which prawns do you buy?

Do you go and buy the cheapest product of a given standard, or do you shop to see which is made more locally?

What do you have in your home that was made in China? Do you even know? Did you do your research and make a choice based on that when you bought it?

You can’t blame companies for wanting to cut their costs when you (as a part of the market) are the very reason they want to cut costs.

Garry_Lager

But isn’t that a lot of that inevitable because you’re looking for places where there are large numbers of ill, drug-naive population?

Or am I misunderstanding something? (I’m not in the industry but I have done some work Clinical Trials Organisations) The trials are after the discovery process, and were the serious money gets spent, but yes they are increasingly being carried out in places like China. Most drugs are developed to treat diseases prevalent in the western world, because that’s were the money is, but this is changing.

Interestingly – Wyeth put a lot of money into clinical research in Scotland as it represents a unique environment for study. Nowhere on earth is there such a population of sick people, supported by a first world network of healthcare. So its a goldmine of high quality data.

jonb
    Free Member

Someone said apples higher up bu I’m sorry to say that you’re wrong. I used to work for the UK largest fruit juice manufacturer and we shipped in a significant amount of our apple concentrate from China. Although we used more of it, it has a very low acid value (no “bite”) so you have to blend it with good old english apples. They had, before I left, managed to find a cheaper Polish source for high acid apples.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Is there nothing that China can't make and ship to UK cheaper than doing it here’ is closed to new replies.