Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is there much difference with a 26t & 36t inner & middle chainring?
  • scotabroad

Have just recieved some new chainrings a 26t & 36t inner and middle, I normally run with a 22t & 32t and have ordered these in error & just realised my mistake. I’m not the fittest and do use bottom gear fairly frequently on the steepest of hills, and I just wondered if I am better sending them back or is there any advantage in running with the bigger ratio?

Stoner
    Free Member

22, 36 and bash is a nice set up for a short chain and mech with a normal cassette.

Failing that there’s usually people in the classifieds looking for 36T middles so you could probably swap without much bother.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not the fittest and do use bottom gear fairly frequently on the steepest of hills

Same here.

I’ve been trying out a 36t middle – but have decided to go back to 32t as I’m finding it much harder to climb in middle cog with a 36t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gtkid
    Free Member

I run a 26/36/bashring set-up on one of the bikes and haven’t had any issues gearing wise, depends where and how you ride really.

rickmeister

24/36 and bash here with 32/11 on the back, works just fine…

jam-bo

22-36 gives the best of both worlds and works fine.

keavo
    Free Member

what rings are they? i could be interested in them. if you decide you don’t want them try me at paul.keavney1@ntlworld.com

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

22 / 36 here – all the gears I need. I would struggle with a 26 granny ring.

ton

hey big lad, send em back or order some walking shoes for the uphill bits…… 😉

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

26-38 when I run a double.. I don’t really climb many hills anyway!

sharki
    Free Member

Try it, if the only option you get used to it

sq225917
    Free Member

44-36-26, 11-27 on the back

scotabroad

I was needing a new cassette anyway so I stuck a 34-11 on and the bike pedals pretty well & I can get it up the usual steep stuff with a bit more effort + you seem to get better range from the larger rings requiring less faffing with changing at the front.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is there much difference with a 26t & 36t inner & middle chainring?’ is closed to new replies.