Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is there much (anything) for little kids to do in or near glentress?
  • augustuswindsock

4 and 6 year old, before you say it we will be taking the bikes and they will ride a bit, but my cousins over from Aussie and we want to get a decent ride in, so the mrs will have to entertain the jam eaters for a while, they’re too young for go ape,, Edinburgh zoos too far, any other suggestions?

ian martin
    Free Member

Green loop and skills area, walk round Japanese garden, trail quest or Peebles is a nice town with a decent park.

scotroutes

Take them up to the wee road that runs between Black Meldon and White Meldon from Eddleston or Lyne Station. There’s a great wee burn there that they can play around in, building dams, floating home-made boats etc. Take a picnic, a towel, a ball etc.

augustuswindsock

Scotroutes, that sounds like just the ticket, they love that kind of stuff, hope its warm enough. Actually, that’s hoping for too much, will make do with not lashing down!

Diane
    Free Member

There’s Caldwell’s ice cream parlour in Peebles. Think there’s the Osprey viewing centre at GT.

You can also watch the ospreys from Kalizie gardens http://www.kaliziegardens.com there’s a café and putting green and I think a fishing pond

geologist
    Free Member

Second the osprey place in gt itself, its a tiny place, but the warden got loads of birds feet and eggs and various natural artifacts out of the drawers for my 4 year old to look at last year. He loved it. I got a lap of the red in whilst my son and wife went there and the cafe. 🙂

Dont forget the cafe in gt has a set of the massive jenga, kids love that.

ittaika
    Free Member

playing in the burn +1!

if the weather is really bad there’s a small swimming pool in peebles as well (I think – not sure if still open).

MrsToast
    Free Member

If the weather’s a bit grim, there’s a great pottery painting cafe in Peebles:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePlaceToPotterPaintPlay

I painted Mr Toast an awesome mug whilst he rode Glentress. I would have been riding with him, but it was after the infamous “Falling off Pennels Vennel” incident…

ivnickkate
    Free Member

Hi AWS, there’s a swimming pool, with small kids pool,
    a small soft play centre down the Northgate, or a bigger one about 10 miles away at leadburn.

check this link http://www.wellybooters.co.uk/ for something a little different.

Directly opposite Glentress is the Sustrans old railway trail, it’s tarmac, and goes to Peebles, ideal for the kids to cycle on.

Garry_Lager

The Leadburn pub up the road to Edinburgh (about 15 mins) has a soft play area which is a decent size. Slightly lame suggestion relative to the wholesome activities suggested thus far, but bairns do enjoy the soft plays and it’s easy to read the paper whilst keeping an eye on them.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is there much (anything) for little kids to do in or near glentress?’ is closed to new replies.