Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)
  • is there anything this forum doesnt know/ have an expert on ?
  • andrewh
    Free Member

I Ache, should and do are not necessarily the same thing.
    I don’t think it could, I’m sure there’s an explanation of why on here somewhere…

grilla
    Free Member

Planes only go down runways to build up speed through the air, no airspeed, no takeoff. Landspeed is irrelevant.

If it was really windy it could do it, but it could also do it from a standing start as well.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Grilla is 100% correct. A planes drive comes from moving air not rotating its wheels. The wheels rotating at simply a function of the plane being pushed through the air. Therefore a plane would still take off regardless of how fast or large a treadmill is.

A headwind equal to the thrust the engines are putting out would stop it from moving forward but the plane would still leave the ground due to the lift created by the windspeed over/under the wings.

ampthill

I am amazed at the combined knowledge of this forum

RustySpanner

plumber – Member

theres a dirth of knowledge in the following

What guitar amp for my child?
    What guitar for me?
    What is a concrete poker actually for

1. Not enough info. 🙂

2. An ash bodied reverse Jazzmaster, Tele pickup at the bridge, hot p90 at the neck & a vintage style Strat pickup in the middle.
    5 way switch.
    Modern Strat bridge & trem.
    One piece solid maple Tele style neck, compound radius, clay dots, medium jumbo frets.
    Seafoam Green or Daphne Blue.

3. Poking concrete.

andrewh
    Free Member

No, the thrust would push the plane ‘forwards’ but the treadmill would turn at an equal speed in the opposite direction. The plane would not be able to move forward along the treadmill and so the air over the wings would not move relative to the plane and so would not generate lift.
    why do you think (most) planes have to move forward to take off?

bencooper
    Free Member

Thrust pushes against the atmosphere. So assuming the treadmill is the same length as a normal runway, the aircraft will accelerate until it’s airspeed reaches takeoff speed, and it’ll take off. It’s wheels will be spinning madly because of the treadmill, but that has noting to do with the takeoff speed through the atmosphere.

Actually, there will probably boundary-layer effects from the treadmill, meaning the aircraft can take off at a lower speed, but ignore that.

tomhoward

Just which wheel size is best? And what tyres should I use on that size?

I_Ache
    Free Member

andrewh – Member
    No, the thrust would push the plane ‘forwards’ but the treadmill would turn at an equal speed in the opposite direction. The plane would not be able to move forward along the treadmill and so the air over the wings would not move relative to the plane and so would not generate lift.

Of course it would. Planes don’t need wheels to take off. The wheels have nothing to do with the power delivery of the engines! Planes are not cars they do not rely on drive from the wheels to move. The wheels could be going backwards at 500mph and all that the plane would suffer is some bearing drag.

why do you think (most) planes have to move forward to take off?

Because that is the most efficient way to take off and that’s the direction they travel because of the engines thrust.

Are we seriously doing this?

toys19
    Free Member

Are we seriously doing this?

Whenever I read a response like andrewh’s I think, good troll, then I realise he might be serious, and it makes me sad..

andrewh
    Free Member

We are doing this but not necessarily seriously…
    however, yes the engines would push the plane ‘forwards’ but the treadmill would counteract that and it would remain stationary so no lift. The wheels have nothing to do with the engine, they are not conected in any way. However, the treadmill would cause them to turn in the wrong direction and stop the plane moving.
    you could in theory make it take off by putting a huge fan in front of it and blowing air over the wings, it would then take off from a standstill regardless of whether or not it was on a treadmill. If the treadmill worked do you not think aircraft carrier designers would have fitted them rather than enormous runways? Actually could a plane land on a treadmill?

bencooper
    Free Member

However, the treadmill would cause them to turn in the wrong direction and stop the plane moving.

How, exactly? The wheels are free-turning, so how can they stop the plane moving?

If the treadmill worked do you not think aircraft carrier designers would have fitted them rather than enormous runways?

Airplanes do need enormous runways. Whether those runways are made out of tarmac, water, ice, ball bearings or a giant treadmill is irrelevant. As long as the runway is long enough for the aircraft to reach takeoff speed, it’ll take off.

I think you think we’re talking about vertical takeoff – we’re not.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Mythbusters did this – here watch the plane take off then argue your case
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YORCk1BN7QY[/video]

bencooper
    Free Member

A bit worrying that a (presumably) qualified pilot can be surprised by that.

RealMan
    Free Member

however, yes the engines would push the plane ‘forwards’ but the treadmill would counteract that and it would remain stationary so no lift. The wheels have nothing to do with the engine, they are not conected in any way. However, the treadmill would cause them to turn in the wrong direction and stop the plane moving.

Put a skateboard on a treadmill. Push the skateboard forward. What happens?

Junkyard
    Free Member

he is not a physicist though is he

How many racing drivers could explain the internal combustion engine

bencooper
    Free Member

I suppose – I’d hope he’d have a better understanding of thrust vs. drag, though.

maccruiskeen

I’m not really sure how this would take off with or without a conveyor belt

Bimbler
    Free Member

My favourite piece of esoteric Stw knowledge was a when forumer asked an obscure lift (as in elevator) related question. STW did not disappoint.

paladin

Reading all these comments, I’m guessing the weather must be pretty rubbish in the uk just now?

maccruiskeen

My favourite piece of esoteric Stw knowledge was a when forumer asked an obscure lift (as in elevator) related question. STW did not disappoint.

My first channelling of the STW-foo I wanted to know the hole size and pitch of the perforated metal sheets that are used on the gantries over the M25. Within a couple of hours I had the email address of the bloke that had designed them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What is a concrete poker actually for

It vibrates the wet concrete which makes any trapped air come to the surface which reduces voids increasing strength. It also helps the concrete flow into tight nooks and crannies and between the reinforcing.

HTH
    🙂

zokes
    Free Member

Reading all these comments, I’m guessing the weather must be pretty rubbish in the uk just now?

It’s about 20 degrees and they’re all wilting in darkened rooms

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Seems to me that folksmhaven’t been clear about the role of the conveyor.

Imtought the whole point was that it kept the plane stationary

bencooper
    Free Member

Imtought the whole point was that it kept the plane stationary

But how would it do that? Unless you run it really, really fast so the wheel drag becomes significant, the speed of the treadmill doesn’t matter.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

The same way a treadmill keeps,you stationary when you are running on it.

bencooper
    Free Member

That’s only because your legs are driven – your cant run infinitely fast, and if you stop running you fall off. Wheels can rotate as fast as you like.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So at what speed are people assuming the conveyoris running?

bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, a thought experiment:

Imagine an airplane on a treadmill, with engines under full thrust. The treadmill can be rotating as fast as you like.

Now imagine you put wheels on that treadmill – so the airplane is on the treadmill, and the treadmill is on wheels. Wat happens?

What happens if you bolt the airplane to the treadmill frame?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Ben DR mungus be trolling
    He be many things but dumb aint one of them

bencooper
    Free Member

So at what speed are people assuming the conveyoris running?

Doesn’t matter. There is no friction between the airplane and the treadmill, so it doesn’t matter how fast or in which direction the treadmill is running.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, i just thik the problem has never been clearly defined

bencooper
    Free Member

Well, how would you define it? If the speed of the treadmill doesn’t matter, the you can define it however you like, and it’ll still have no effect on the result.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

How would i define it? Depends on the point i’m trying to make. What assumptions are being made. Seems to be the frictionless wheels which cause the issue

bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, they don’t have to be frictionless – but now fast would the treadmill have to be going for the friction to be high enough to match the takeoff thrust of the engines? That’s a lot of drag.

Okay,I’ll accept that, if the treadmill is going at 1,000,000mph, the aircraft won’t take off – because the wheels will explode.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, i guess it is the conflation of the questions. Would a non whell driven vehicle move forward on a treadmill. If that bit can be ascertained,as it can be, then the question about flight is trivial

bencooper
    Free Member

Okay, here’s a similar example. Imagine a bowling lane – you bowl a ball down the lane, it rolls to the end and hits the pins.

Now replace the lane with a treadmill – what happens if you try to bowl the ball down the treadmill?

It’ll still roll happily along, won’t it? It won’t just stop dead.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, i understand that bit, the bowling ball would work much like the roll a penny machines in arcades, they roll but stay in position until they slow down then fall over

bencooper
    Free Member

Really? If you throw the ball forward onto the treadmill, it’ll slow down until it’s rotating just fast enough to exactly match the speed of the treadmill?

How does a bowling ball know how fast the treadmill is going?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have you seen the roll a penny machines? The bowling ball would either move forwards or backwards on the conveyor, depend on its kinetic energy / angular momentum. The penny roller has the belt matched to the average speed of the coin

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 121 total)

The topic ‘is there anything this forum doesnt know/ have an expert on ?’ is closed to new replies.