Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Is there anything better than Shimano skewers?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bolt through by a country mile

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

With ordinary dropouts? And hubs that can’t be converted? Is that possible?

BearBack
    Free Member

As far as something comparable with a qr frame/fork, then yes. DT Swiss RWS. 9mm system that still fits regular qr drop outs. You need to swap your wheel end caps to suit though if even available for your wheels.
    Otherwise, there are other qr’s available but as long as you don’t have a defective or recalled skewer then they all do much the same job. Crankbros split qr for a good looking solution 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

on standard QR hubs, no

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Errrr yes, SALSA end of unless swapping end adaptors by removing end caps and going 10mm bolted axle on rear/RWS skewers.

aracer
    Free Member

Rubbish. Shimano ones are far better – and better than anything else.

bencooper
    Free Member

Many years ago I tested a whole bunch of skewers when there was the worry about QRs and disc brakes – Shimano were the best I tested. Enclosed cams that didn’t get full of muck, a proper past-centre lock, and decent deep serrations.

fenred
    Free Member

shimano are great but I’ve never has an issue with hope either (run one on the back end of my FS) but I know others dislike them. I have halo porkies on my HT and and prior to that they were on my rigid SS, they’re heavy but about as stiff as I’ve encountered for a 9mm qr.

Kuco

I’ve got a Hope rear on my ht and wouldn’t recommend it, much prefer Shimano QR.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

@ aracer – only peasants say that. lol

krixmeister

For me – DT Swiss RWS bolt-throughs, for regular drop-outs. But I’m a bit of a poser. If I wasn’t – it’d be Shimano XT.

deadkenny
    Free Member

DTS RWS Thru. Better still if the hub can take a through axle size version. Still screws up to a nut rather than bolts into the frame, but I much prefer the lever on them to the cam lever of a traditional skewer, and when done up they stay done up, in my experience.

porlus
    Free Member

DTS RWS Thru. Better still if the hub can take a through axle size version. Still screws up to a nut rather than bolts into the frame, but I much prefer the lever on them to the cam lever of a traditional skewer, and when done up they stay done up, in my experience.

Unlike mine that still come lose on every ride. As per my post about my C456 grrrrrrrrr.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is there anything better than Shimano skewers?

Ferrari F40?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Dura-Ace ones are about 70 quid

kerley
    Free Member

I use allen key skewers as they are lighter and don’t have ugly levers sticking out. Obviously you need an allen key to take the wheel out but I only take the wheels out at home anyway.

njee20
    Free Member

No, Salsa skewers are just really overrated. Lol. Shimano are vastly better unless you want something light, in which case Mt Zoom are excellent. Lol

dirtyrider
    Free Member

roflmao

njee20
    Free Member

Psml

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Is there anything better than Shimano skewers?’ is closed to new replies.