Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Is there any worthwhile riding at Haldon Forest?
  • andylc
    Free Member

Just that really…it’s going to be a good place to go to teach my son to mountain bike but is there any actual decent riding there? I did the red route while my other half was having a coffee and it took 25 minutes and was occasionally OK but mostly pretty boring! Thanks in advance…!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

No I would say, my first and only trail centre I have ridden and it was dead boring.

I prefer natural if I’m being honest but then again I might say sod it and check out FOD sometime.

riklegge

There’s some good off piste stuff there. Fairly easy to find off the red route, just keep a lookout for tracks leading off the main trail. Also search the forum for Haldon off piste.

andylc
    Free Member

With Triscombe and the Quantocks closer by it’s a no brainer really but just for when we take the littlun out I was hoping there might be some off-piste to find whilst t’other half has an Americano…

jam-bo

Cafe side if you want a little more ‘gnar’

Clink

Some great off-piste in places

ajantom

Ignore the red and blue (and the *cough* black!).

There is easily enough off piste to keep you amused for a full day if you keep your eyes peeled.
    Loads on the hub side, but also plenty over on the cafe side (A380) too.

Hook up with the Wednesday evening ride – 6.30 pm @ the Ley Arms in Kenn, or 7pm at the top of the Old A38 by the flyover. Or there are plenty of friendly locals who will show you around.

I love the Quantocks, but for an afternoon of techy singletrack then Haldon is probably my favourite local spot – you just need to know where you’re looking.

zero-cool
    Free Member

There’s quite a lot there besides the main trails. It’s not to hard to find if you don’t mind a big of an explore. Look on Strava

deadkenny
    Free Member

Topic’s been done a few times, but yes there’s plenty more than the official stuff. The official stuff though, mix the blue in with the red. Not gnarly but if you go at a quiet time when there are no families along it the blue can be a fast blast. The red is too short really and the black is a joke.

Off piste there’s some nice stuff about. It’s not amazing and I wouldn’t make a special trip of it, but nice if you’re in the area.

I’d also look at Woodbury Common over by Exmouth, though it’s natural trail stuff, mix of xc, singletrack and a little jump area. Nice scenery though. Dartmoor has a fair bit of natural gnar. If you want to step it up, then head to Gawton.

ajantom

Woodbury Common? Hmmm, I’d stay away, nothing to see there, terrible riding so I hear 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Is there any worthwhile riding at Haldon Forest?’ is closed to new replies.