Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Is there any saving contaminated pads?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

My solution defo works,

You won’t burn your fingers or have to mess with dangerous chemicals, it’s relatively cheap and is guaranteed to work.

Buy new pads, clean your rotors and calipers.

BrickMan

^^^ Rotors is where MOST of the contam lives.

It gets in all the cut outs, and the gorges in the actual running surface of the brake.

I find only way to do a proper job is a submerge them in a vat of thinners then shake dry.

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheers BrickMan, gave the rotors a proper good clean. Soaked the pads in white spirit, boiled them in water (and a bit of white spirit), gave them a spray with a degreaser, set them on fire over the hob until they looked pretty cooked, filed off some rough bits, popped everything back together, and I now have wheels locking up with no effort at all. Brilliant. Thanks again for all the help.

reedspeed
    Free Member

[quote]Soaked the pads in white spirit[/quote]

Are or real ??,its oil based ffs !!!,you wanna STOP doing your own Mechanicing & pay for it doing right,& STOP giving advice full stop !,by all means hurt yourself but not others,you’ll be needin a good public liability solicitor the way youre goin pal…

RealMan
    Free Member

You’re right there, don’t know how I didn’t know that. Worked though.

v8ninety

White spirit my be oil based, but it’s a solvent, and evaporates, and is used as an industrial cleaner, so your point is?

kanza
    Free Member

White spirit my be oil based, but it’s a solvent, and evaporates, and is used as an industrial cleaner, so your point is?

I guess his point is it is oil based and oil does not evaporate?

Post evaporation, your left with just the oil.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Have you tried to sort your pads out using the power of prayer?

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Is there any saving contaminated pads?’ is closed to new replies.