Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Is there any saving contaminated pads?
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Tried oven baking, filing, degreasing, etc. but no luck. Bin them, clean rotors, and stick new ones in?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Depends whats contaminated them !,if its owt Oil related,personally i’d binnem,but Brake cleaner etc,gets most stuff out,whats been on em ??

RealMan
    Free Member

Not entirely sure, I reckon it’s most likely oil, but maybe hydraulic fluid.

RealMan
    Free Member

footflaps

I blow torch mine until they smoke – works for me.

jameso

10 mins of boiling in a pan, sand off, repeat, worked for me a few times on Shimano metal pads that had a bit of mineral oil or spray lube etc on.

ac282

I just held mine over the flame from my gas hob. It worked but did get a telling off from my wife about the smell.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

I’ve soaked them in isopropyl alcohol and it seemed to work, took a while to bed them back in tho

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’d try the blowtorch trick, after all you’ll be used to having a good flaming 😀

RustySpanner

Big hill, high speed, repeated hard braking.
    Works every time.
    Seriously, never understood this ‘contamination’ problem.

Don’t even bother shielding the brakes when spraying the WD/GT around anymore, complete waste of time.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Works every time.
    Seriously, never understood this ‘contamination’ problem.

You’ve never had any contaminated ones then! 🙂

I’ve saved some by wire brushing them or similar suggestions to the above but more recently I got brake fluid on some and they were rogered. Tried everything with no luck so I binned them.

SD-253
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    Works every time.

Seemed to work for me daft getting it on there mind. Can’t remember how I did it. Breaking will always work…….eventually as you will wear down the contaminated bit. Safer way might be sanding though.

Don’t even bother shielding the brakes when spraying the WD/GT around anymore, complete waste of time.

WD evaporates it could only leave Silcon (I assume there some in WD) on the pads. On the other hand there can be no downside to sheilding the pads. Noticed last week I have an oil leak on my hydrulic brakes on one of my bikes so may need to do some hard braking again when I eventually get on bike again.

toys19
    Free Member

I don’t know why any of you give this the time of day, given the history here.

jono84
    Free Member

I like to attach paper clips to mine an let the missus wear em as earings

Kit
    Free Member

Me neither, but careful you don’t say exactly why people should ignore him, because the mods will remove your posts.

RustySpanner

You’ve never had any contaminated ones then!

Define ‘contaminated’ then:
    Brake fluid, GT85, mineral oil?
    Like many things in life, often cured by a good, hard repeated squeeze.
    Complete urban myth if you ask me.

toys19 – Member

I thought the bloke concerned got an apology & his money back eventually?
    However, if he starts spouting juvenile bollocks about ‘slammed’ stems I might just visit him in the wee small hours and stick a bat up his nightshirt. 😉

reedspeed
    Free Member

For what pads cost it Int worth it lads !,just bin emm ..you’ve only got one head,one set of teeth etc etc ..ya need ya brakes ..

Coyote
    Free Member

reedspeed FTW.

cheez0
    Free Member

empty tuna tin, splosh of meths, one match .. two if clumsy.

JohnB
    Free Member

If my pads ever get contaminated I give them the floatation test. I throw them in the nearest large body of water and if they float then I reckon they are OK.

Mattie_H
    Free Member

You probably can’t save them but I hear you can pick up some second hand brakes in good condition on the classifieds.

bruneep

Kanza, I take you’re new here?

have wee search for brakes + realman

fasthaggis

I knew a few students with contaminated pads,they lost their deposit 🙂

fasthaggis

Mattie are you an Avid fan of second hand brakes ?

reedspeed
    Free Member

Coyote,not quite up to date with abreviated txt lingo but I get the general answer !,were not all the same are we ?,thk
    **** !..

kanza
    Free Member

New here Bruneep, but not to disc pads. Mostly car/motorcycle race, but same things. You can make them serviceable but you will never make them operate exactly as per origional’s. Which is what I thought, but I guess you can make them work on a bike.

But thanks for the link, will check it out.

Coyote
    Free Member

Jeez, getting grief from they who know not.

reedspeed, it means “for the win”, i.e. I agree with you…

Kanza, check his posting history before being so free with the insults.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Got yah !,were always learning arn’t we ?,lol..

BrickMan

My front’s got some fork damping oil dribbled on them, useless, just about work, but in the same way the brakes on a 1980s Halfords bike ‘work’

Dumped the pad’s in a jam jar lid of fresh industrial thinners (more for cleaning lathes & tools than thinning paint!) for a few hours, flicked them out onto some paper and now they’re top drawer.

andymonty
    Free Member

I take the pads out…

get a camping stove in the garden (no trouble from “er indoors”

get an old shoe polish tin (clean)

place tin on stove and heat to burn any crap out of tin…

turn down stove and drop the pads in pad side down

and crank up the heat

Once very hot allow to cool…. and refit after cleaning rotor i use either IPA alcohol Mehelated spirt or Car body shop panel wipe

I found exposing them to a naked flame seemed to lead to them disintegrating

crikey
    Free Member

I just buy new pads. Sod all that fannying about, it’s not like they cost the earth, or a so rare or valuable.

Boys…. 🙄

kanza
    Free Member

Kanza, check his posting history before being so free with the insults.

What insults, I’ve not and do not insult anyone?

Junkyard
    Free Member

new pads why risk it?

we all made mistakes when we were younger

RealMan
    Free Member

Cheers for all the advice, will try soaking them and burning them, then if that doesn’t work, will just give up and bin them.

Coyote
    Free Member

What insults, I’ve not and do not insult anyone?

Erm…

kanza
    Free Member

Geez’ selling contaminated pads on to someone else would mean they could not afford a few quid to buy new ones. Maybe some young kid and take a moment to imagine the damage?

I guess if the post was ‘cool’ would not have been removed? But I would rather not debate that either.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

toys19 – Member

Interesting post toys19

Mattie_H – Member

You probably can’t save them but I hear you can pick up some second hand brakes in good condition on the classifieds.

That’s a good suggestion, probably less hassle for the OP.

fasthaggis – Member

Mattie are you an Avid fan of second hand brakes ?

Who isn’t fasthaggis?

olly2097
    Free Member

Boiled in hot water for ten mins followed by a minute dangled over the gas hob.

kanza
    Free Member

Do the research dude. Some crap brakes changed hands for money and the value of the transaction was disputed. The vast majority were on the side of the guy who was less than chuffed with the deal.

Hey, gotya buddy – now I get it thanks for explaining.

Peaceout.

smell_it
    Free Member

Boiled in hot water for ten mins followed by a minute dangled over the gas hob.

Realman may be a total douche, but this is probably a bit harsh.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Is there any saving contaminated pads?’ is closed to new replies.