Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is there any difference between 105 and cx-50, bar price??
  • DrP

I’m after a new crankset for the tripster, and apart from a big price difference (and the chainrings, but i’d swap mine over anyway), what’s the difference between 105 and cx-50??

Ta

DrP

unovolo
    Free Member

I think that the CX50 crank arms are the solid forged style like current Deore cranks(Basically just a stamped piece of alloy)
    Whereas the 105 crank arms are the Hollow type the same as SLX upwards style cranks hence marginally lighter and stiffer?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think that the CX50 crank arms are the solid forged style like current Deore cranks(Basically just a stamped piece of alloy)
    Whereas the 105 crank arms are the Hollow type the same as SLX upwards style cranks hence marginally lighter and stiffer?

Correct.
    I’ve just bought a CX50
    I wish I’d just bought a Sora instead TBH

DrP

Why’s that pete??

I’m planning the same FSA -> shimano swap you did (for the “poor mans inbred” 😉 )

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because it’s virtually identical as far as I can see but the Sora is cheaper and has a 2t smaller inner ring. I ordered a CX50 because I thought it had hollow arms. I was wrong. I’m not too bothered though, it only cost me about £15 including an Ultegra BB after selling off the new FSA. Looks nice too, fits in well with the CDF.

paulevans
    Free Member

DrP – I’m selling a black 105 chainset with 175mm cranks and compact rings. Very good condition, little use if you’re interested.

househusband

Chainrings not any different, no?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got both, the cx 50 has solid arms the 105 has hollow arms

DrP

Well as a tart I went for the 105 due to the hollow arms/weight etc..

Will swap the road chainrings with the FSA ones that came with the tripster.
    Means I can also run a shimano BB with 22mm spindle, rather than the odd FSA 19mm one…

DrP

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 CX50 is solid. And heavy. Go 105.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is there any difference between 105 and cx-50, bar price??’ is closed to new replies.