Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Is there any better deal than the Planet X Carbon Dura Ace…
  • crazant
    Free Member

Right I’ve got myself all worked up about this, I have 2 bikes to sell which should bring in nearly a grand, I think work may get the Cycle to work scheme so i have been looking at the Latest Planet X Full carbon with 7900 Duraace for £1600 (means i put £600 to) but as a rule I never buy anything new or pay full price and I’m wondering if this is a better deal than say buying a £1000 second hand bike( I pay for outright) There are some great bikes on Ebay for a grand (Litespeed Sienna Ti, Cannondale System Six etc). So which is the better deal, i can’t quite work out how much the Planet X would be using the work scheme does £900 sound about right which if that is the case there can’t be a better bike for the money can there???
    Thoughts please…Any better bikes for the money using the scheme or best bike to get for a grand secondhand.
    Sorry if that sounds confusing its cos i am confused..
    Thanks a lot
    Anthony

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m building up a decent spec road bike at the moment, so whilst not exactly the same my thoughts would be…

planet x: not sure what spec DA (is it the older 7800 or new 7900?) but take the cheapest you can get a groupset for, them what do you have left for frame, wheels, finishing kit etc and if you can’t get near it for similar spec then its a good deal? personally though i prefer the look of the ribble sportive.

used: open to argument, but i prefer buying in parts rather than complete as i think you can get a better deal ‘generally’. my build, which is a mix of used and new – very nice carbon frame, full dura ace 7800, wheels tbc but prob hope pro 3 on swiss rr 1.2 – i reckon will come in at a about 1.2k. new it would easily be 3.5k.

the other adavantage of the latter option is that when you come to sell on the depreciation is far less and in some instances if you are lucky in your shopping you can make a few quid.

grumm
    Free Member

Planet X only do their own brand of cyclescheme now I think – good luck persuading your work to sign up to that!

crazant
    Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts the Planet X is 7900 Dura Ace and our work only has 3 employees and its all pretty relaxed so the scheme shoud’nt be an issue. But like gav says for a grand or just over you can get a bloody nice bike and i’m sure 7900 DA can’t be must better than 7880 DA or even Ultegra Sl..
    Gav which frame did you go with…
    I currently have a Litespeed Antares
    Photobucket
    which to be honest is perfectly up for the job, but everybody needs a change now and again ..

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

1k for a 7900 groupset on merlin i see.

i’m willing to be corrected on this as roadie kit is not my thing, but i’ve seen a few comments on various forums that 7900 has some issues and that some racers (inc some pro riders) are switching back.

i was after an s works tarmac or roubaix but all the ones i saw wanted very high prices so ended up getting a scott cr1 sl – which until it was offered to me i had’nt really heard of but when i went digging on google found many very excellent comments. very highly rated in italy – funny what you find out on the www!

hopefully i’ll have it up and running in a few weeks, seem to be struggling though to find a rear mech at the moment.

Bream
    Free Member

Sounds like a similar position to me, deceided to finally buy myself a new road bike as the old one just looks very very worn out now and is about 15 years out of date lol.

So set myself ~2k budget, new or used and the options are bloody endless 😕 doing my head in, just when I decide to buy X bike complete I check the web a few hours later and decide the Y bike is better for me, the the next day Z bike turns up and I want that, so on so on 😆

The Planet X deals look good but really wanted a campag groupset, there is a brand new CR1 frame on bike radar that looks a good deal but there is also a couple of good 2nd hand bikes floating around for the right cash: Felt Z15, Scott Addict & BH G4!!

AND then to top it all off today I think that maybe I should go Ti 😆 No helping me!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Is there any better deal than the Planet X Carbon Dura Ace…’ is closed to new replies.